Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

I could build that!

digit
10 years ago

Well, why not ?

No, that floor isn't sloping. There's actually storage under that angled part there in the back. Probably not real useful but it is a small building and there wouldn't be much space wasted.

No, the floor is level. I can find some picture of the interior but it is a little confusing. I think you can probably imagine. . . yeah, the ceiling slopes. And, it is fairly spacious in there.

Kind of eliminates the need to be concerned about roof slopes, tho'. I mean, the thing is a b.o.x! It would need to be kind of a high box because the roof would be sloping down to the back and there is a need for head-room. But - Imagine the view you'd have from your little garden office by elevating the floor like that!

Steve

Comments (21)

• digit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay,

Steve

This one is more likely:

• david52 Zone 6
    10 years ago

I like the 2nd one better. :-)

• ZachS. z5 Platteville, Colorado
    9 years ago

"My new fence"

Sure beats the pants of my existing fence! If it weren't for the stand of chokecherries lining it, it would be non-existent!

To answer your original question of "why not" well, and keep in mind that this is purely my very very humble opinion, because it's butt-ugly.

Second picture isn't too bad, thought it looks like either a small "pool house" that you might find at the neighborhood rec center, or a very fancy outhouse. But to each their own Steve (you weren't really considering it were you?)

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

Putting them in a houzz forum, Zach? I was about to say no but I guess I already have!

I don't really know whether the first building is ugly or not. I've never seen anything like that before! It amazes me that anyone could think that far out of the box. Wanting water to run off the roof? Build this sloping floor then level the floor by jacking up one end of the building! Shoot ...

DW would like the other shed. Me, too! But, I'd have to take out the chicken coop. Okay, fine. But, that olde garage may as well go, too. Little value to having a new garage and a separate shed. Life's complicated ...

Picked up the posts for my new fence today!

Steve

9 years ago

I'm not a fan of modern architecture. My wife went to school for architecture and was basically pigeonholed into designing modern style work. I convinced her to put a dome on a project once, in a more neo classical style, along with a more symmetrical façade and floor plan (it even included a semi Gothic, or maybe Victorian, conservatory for growing tropical plants). All of her instructors and the bona-fide architect that critiqued the building told her it was a disaster, buildings aren't supposed to have domes, that style was gone with the wind (apparently whatever style the antebellum mansions of the old south are is equally as "washed up.") No domes said I? If it's good enough for our Nation's Capitol, it ought to be good enough for the rest of us! This modern architecture movement is deplorable, if only for the reason creativity is stymied in any other discipline.

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

It's all just "enclosed space," Zach.

;o) Steve

9 years ago

Steve, I lived in a shipping container for about a month once, they DO NOT make good houses.

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    9 years ago

Where's the bathroom, Digit??? And the PLUMBING for the bathroom!

I have disequilibrium from a concussion in '08, and I think I'd be just fine once I got inside of that first one, but I think I'd get so dizzy going up the steps trying to get into it that I'd wind up laying in a heap at the bottom and never get into it!

Skybird

P.S. And where was YOUR bathroom, Zach?????

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

I "think" utilities could be in a tower ...

The house that DD bought wasn't to my liking. The home she made for herself wasn't to her liking. Two years after a return to apartment living & 6 months since the divorce, she is again thinking of buying a house. I'd like to see her have one built :o).

Steve

9 years ago

My bathroom in the shipping conex? It was about a 60 yard walk through the mud and muck to a shower trailer, for commodes we had honey buckets.

Those honey buckets were a Godsend compared to the bathroom facilities we had at one place that was an old Iraqi Army post. You see, in the Middle East, they don't use and actual commode per say, its just a shallow depression with a hole in the middle and two "grippy" pads for your feet on either side... The cavalry guys who had been living there for a while longer had cut a hole in the seat of a metal folding chair. A genius idea, but one they should have replicated. If someone was occupying the chair, you either had to wait (not always an option when living off MRE's and whatever the Kurdish interpreters were cooking that night) or you had to go the "traditional" way. When in Rome they say.......

The conex did have a Mitsubishi AC unit in it though, and one night it froze solid, come morning, all the ice cascaded out of it, right onto my cot! Then, when they cut the hole for door, they did a hack job on it and when it rained (which was everyday) it looked like Niagara Falls had relocated to the INSIDE of my doorway.

9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

LOL! They have those
    kinds of potties in China too, Zach! At
    least that’s what I found at the Great Wall!
    I had “heard about it," so I went in—more to check it out than to use it,
    but I tested the system out since I was in there anyway! I have to admit, I’m partial to the flushing
    kind—with a seat! But, then again, when
    I’m out hiking in the hills, au naturel seems to work quite well too!

Have we gotten a little bit OT here!

Skybird

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

Oh no, it fits with the theme ... even if I have been hoping for fresh RM air.

That's why I didn't put a door on the little house out behind the shack. I mean, I'd already faced it away from the traffic areas. The second growth fir trees, just a couple steps away, always gave it that Christmas ambiance, even without three foot of snow along the path leading there.

I must admit to dreaming about a $1,000 chandelier instead a 6-volt flashlight. A white carpet, Nature provided about half the year.

Skybird, I was trying to remember the post you had with the "log barn" photo that was surprisingly like my cabin in the summer.

Currently, the coop in the backyard was built for pigeons and the laying (or, non-laying) hens had to adjust to using it as a home. If I loaded it on the truck for hauling it away, it could be replaced. It's just that I'd feel like not to clear the entire lot while I was at it would be like a missed opportunity. But, I'd need a bigger truck.

Steve

9 years ago

We had found one or two of the honey buckets, manufactured for use in that part of the world, that mirrored the style before. But, from what I can recall, that place was the first that was outfitted with ONLY that style. It was unnerving to have to focus so much on proper aim each and every time. It got really scary when the Kurdish guys shared some of their "whiskey" with us. Come to think of it, the danger involved in using that type of setup may be why alcohol is discouraged in the region...

You're going to need a MUCH bigger truck since, based on the most recent tallies over in another topic, it looks like you're going to be relocating to the front range.

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

Here is Skybird's picture:

My cabin wasn't built as a barn. There was no huge loft door, there would have been 3 windows viewed from this angle. The setting is nearly identical, even down to the olde Ford 9N tractor.

It almost brings a tear to my eye to see this photograph. I have not seen my cabin since the property was sold, not long after I moved away. The new owner put siding on the cabin!! I've been told, it is still that way with a new owner living there. I have no intention of going back and seeing it like that ... I'd want to see it like this -- now, 40 years after I built it ...

Steve

9 years ago

Thanks for finding that, Digit! I was planning to go back and look for it--but no telling when I might have gotten around to doing it! What thread did you find it on??? I just tried searching a couple different words (including barn) and couldn't find it! DID find pics of a couple outhouses I've posted!!!

That barn is a hundred years olde--IF it's still there. I'm just about crying looking at it too! It's about 20 miles NW of Pagosa Springs, and the owner--with whom I've become friends--was forced by her family to sell the ranch the year after the last really bad wildfires we had when a fire down that way burned right down to the ridge above the ranch--but didn't go down into the valley or to the ranch buildings. She lost a whole summer's worth of income, and her family used that to force her to sell! That, the V.A. Poma Ranch, is where I used to go for a few days of R & R before returning to Denver from my fall trips! Don't know what the new owners have done with it, or any of the buildings. What a loss if they tear down the Olde ones! Found an isolated homestead cabin on Grand Mesa where I now do my R & R, but that one is only 15 miles from the North Rim of the Black Canyon, so my R & R isn't quite so R & R-ee anymore! Now I spend a day of my R & R hiking! But I'll always miss the Poma Ranch in the Weeminuche Valley!

Thanks again for finding it,
    Skybird

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • flowerridge
    9 years ago

digit, for what it's worth - I LIKE IT! but I love my contemporary design stuff. Just as shed, it would be a bit difficult to get the wheelbarrow in. This is my contemporary shed - built (with help) from a kit:

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-off-the-grid-in-a-treehouse-hideaway-stsetivw-vs~44996714

This could be from a "kit."

That is, you might be able to start with a couple of stock tanks. (like for cattle on the ranch ... :o)

Steve

9 years ago

That's the fanciest deer stand I've ever seen, Steve!

• digit (ID/WA, border)
    9 years ago

Ha!

Let's see if I can do this right!

Contemporary Exterior · More Info

Now, I may delete this in my Ideabook ... maybe I'd better not.

digitS'