Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

gettin' some of that there moisture?

digit
13 years ago

Officially, all of our snow cover was gone - after 2 weeks of melting. Only the Kootenai River neared flood stage because the process was only just above an idle, throughout.

The return of a few inches of snow over the weekend covered about 2 feet of what must have been dirty-white "styrofoam" piled in my yard on both sides of the sidewalk. I think it may have snowed all night but I could almost remove it with a broom . . . there's a real question that, after a very White Thanksgiving, there may not be a White Christmas.

The national news certainly turned the spotlight on California storms -- where is the Rest of the West in the picture??

Steve

Comments (11)

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    13 years ago

Well, here along the Front Range in Colorado, at least the Denver Metro area, we've had a brown Thanksgiving, and are apparently in for a brown Christmas too! (I think further south, between Castle Rock and the Springs they got some snow around Thanksgiving!) While the Colorado high country is getting DUMPED on all week, around Denver it's supposed to be in the 40's all week. No snow---or precip of any sort---around here!

My snow crocus are chugging right along! Other things that I shouldn't be seeing for MONTHS are starting to "peek out" a little bit too. What a "winter!"

Is it REALLY possible for it to stay this warm for the whole rest of the "winter?"

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas!

Skybird

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Flooding, slides and evacuations in California and, there is more rain falling as I type!

Onthesnow.com shows that the Sierras have gotten up to 24" of new snow! Some of Utah's slopes have had nearly as much.

I looked at the Denver forecast and it looks warm and dry . . . Pueblo, the same. Billings and Casper look colder but still dry. Nothing!

What kind of Pacific storm does it take to get weather on the other side of the mountains??

Steve

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

This is the first Christmas since I moved to the western side of the state, that it won't be a white one! We're getting precipitation, but it's rain. What is up with that? Rain in December?!?! Totally bummed about it. The kids are out of school, and are stuck in the house with no snow for sledding.

• gjcore
    13 years ago

Steve asked "What kind of Pacific storm does it take to get weather on the other side of the mountains?"

It takes a really BIG storm to make it over the mountains. I think that if at the same time we have cold air sliding down from the north then we're more likely to get lots of precipitation.

We also can get up slope conditions which can be big storms but those seem unusual.

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

Rain, rain, rain, and more rain. Up above 8000 feet, its snow.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Down here on the plains, all depends upon the fetch. Right now, mountains intercepting all of it.

Dan

• mtny
    13 years ago

not an open winter here ....plenty of snow in montana....plenty.... we had over 30 inches in november and december is well nigh the same...just shoveled another 4"

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It seems real risky to copy and paste on GW but I'll give it a try. Today:

"Downtown Los Angeles received more than a third of its annual average rainfall in less than a week. . . Santa Monica and Long Beach getting more than 6 inches, the National Weather Service said.

With rain falling up and down the state, Sierra Nevada ski resorts enjoyed record-breaking December snowfall, with the storms bringing more that 15 feet of flakes to Mammoth Mountain."

A storm that brought flooding rains to California earlier this week will push east into the Four Corners region dropping heavy rain and snow.

Steve's digits

Here is a link that might be useful: Biggest Storm Yet

• digit
    Original Author
    13 years ago

haha!

They better protect their veggie gardens, low-lying restaurants & supermarkets!

Here is a link that might be useful: washing out the flavor?!

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    13 years ago

Winter wheat farmers are hoping for that low to turn favorably so they can get some snow, surely. We are amazingly dry out here.

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    13 years ago

We dodged the bullet - maybe 2 inches of rain in total. Still significant, to be sure, and great going into the winter. Last year, we had a similar 'rain event' followed lots of snow which stuck around for several months, drowning an awful lot of perennials.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia