Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtny_gw

beetle kill reports

mtny
14 years ago

just wondering what kind of damage folks were experiencing in their regions, The extent of pine bark beetle damage in SW MT is stunning, combined with the impact of spruce bud worm, the forests have an unhealthy gray cast to the foliage from extensive de needling accentuated with the clusters of red standing dead from this years beetle kill...I hope that the early sub zero in october caught the newly mature beetles and killed the little @#%$& before they could settle in for the winter, it will be interesting to see what happens in spring

Comments (2)

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

We're getting them moving downhill into the Front Range suburbs, taking pondo and Scots pine as well, even in irrigated areas. Many counties in Colo are looking at red or dead, esp up in the ski areas.

I was recently in the Pasayten W.A. in Washington State on the Canadian border, and there they had already taken the lodgepole and it had burned, had moved on to the Engelmann spruce were done with those and looking for something else. Several years ago we were close to that area and drove thru BC to get there, and there they had already clear-cut everything (the 'softwood wars' in the '90s-early naughties).

Dan

• david52 Zone 6
    14 years ago

They're here as well. We're just now starting to see hillsides going more red than green. I made the mistake of getting a load of ponderosa firewood that was full of the things, which infected my own Scots pines - they're still standing (well most of them), and they're still green, but they're essentially dead - the blue stain fungus is in them, and there are several 'hour glass' bits up the trunk. Had two of them break off during the last blizzard.

All this on top of sudden aspen decline, and the ipsis pinion beetle die off, that wiped out that half the pinion/juniper forest.

I'm in touch with folks who live in the interior of British Columbia. They've got it even worse, if that can be imagined.