Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Peach tree recommendation?

highalttransplant
15 years ago

I have enough room for a dwarf peach tree, but several of the ones offered at various mail order fruit tree companies say they cannot be shipped to Colorado. If anyone has a peach tree that they could recommend, that is able to be shipped to this area, I'd love to hear about it. Mostly, I am interested in using it for canning/freezing, but I'm sure some would get eaten fresh as well.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Bonnie

Comments (16)

• david52 Zone 6
    15 years ago

Why won't they ship to Colo?

I'd take the time to swing by one of the older nurseries in Grand Junction and ask them what they'd recommend, maybe have in stock this year. I can't remember the name of it, but there is that huge one on the way out west of town on I70, between Horizon drive and the soccer fields....

Around here, the crucial bit of info is late spring blooming.

• greenbean08_gw
    15 years ago

I don't know if this helps, but here are variety recommendations from CSU... Not that is says where to get them though...

Recommended peach varieties for Colorado are Elberta, Haven, Polly, Reliance, Hale Haven and Ranger. Peaches needing cross-pollination are J.H. Hale, Earlihale, Hal-Berta, Candoka and Mikado. Most other varieties of peaches will pollinate these varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: CSU EXT peach info

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

David, I think it's some kind of agricultural restriction, to protect the existing crop from exposure to diseases brought in from out of state. Grand Junction is 75 miles away, so I don't swing by that way too often. Honestly, I can barely make it to the next town over to grocery shop with three young children without pulling my hair out, so I'll do my peach tree shopping online, if that's okay, LOL!

Greenbean, thank you for that link. The information was very helpful.

Bonnie

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

I keep hearing good things about Elberta and Reliance, so that is what is going to get planted when finaces allow.

Billie

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Billie!

I ended up ordering a Burbank July Elberta Dwarf from Stark Bros. They also have one called Elberta Queen, and they carry the Reliance too.

Bonnie

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Hi Bonnie!!

I'm not sure which way I am gong, but I don't think I will spend the extra to order dwarfs. Since I have the space, and need the shade I plan to order standards and semi-standards, which means if I don't decide soon, if I get the money together to order this year, I will have several. That means lots and lots of fresh peaches, canned peaches, peach cobbler, peach preserves, peach wine... yikes too many peaches.

I think I will go for apricots instead... LOL. Eventually I want to have A peach, apricot, plum and cherry (Rainer is the must, I just need at pollinator) trees. One thing at a time though.

I don't even get a Stark Catalog, but I got a request card in the American Gardener pack I received yesterday. I might have already requested one online too though, can't remember.

There was a card in there for Kelly Nurseries too, anyone heard of them??

Billie

• nicole__
    15 years ago

Three years ago I purchased a dwarf Elberta peach......LOVE it! It's from Walmart, I paid under $20 for it, with a one year warranty! Only problem I've had.....some large animal, bear maybe leaned on it and broke it off trying to get the load of peaches off it!!!!! :0) At that price I can afford to replace it!

• highalttransplant
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yikes, Nicole!

Well, fortunately I don't live in bear country, but I will be putting a cage around the tree, since it will be in the front yard where the deer have access. I learned my lesson with the apple trees I put in last year.

Billie, if I had the space I'd put in a full sized tree too, plus cherry and pear trees, and blackberries, etc. When I told DH I'd ordered a peach tree, he said "Where are we going to put that?". I explained that it was a dwarf, but he just shook his head, with that "hear she goes again" look in his eyes, LOL!

Bonnie

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

Even if I lived in the city, I would not plant "regular" shade trees. I don't understand the infatuation people have with Quaking Aspens and such. My mother is the same way in Tucson: Euclyptis and California Pepper Yuck. I hated trimming those things, they are so sappy and the smells are overwhelming when they are cut. Give me a plant that rewards me for taking care of it anyday.

Billie

• milehighgirl
    15 years ago

I'm linking to a post regarding the Wisconsin Balmer or McKay peach tree. I've got an order in for two of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: McKay peach tree

• milehighgirl
    15 years ago

I hope this message is read by those wanting peach trees. I would like to place an order for peach trees. The nursery is a wholesaler and will ship peach trees to Colorado. Does anyone here wish to place an order with me? The wholesale prices are quite low! Please let me know ASAP because there are a few varieties I would like that may sell out. If you are in the Denver area we could co-op the order.

• billie_ladybug
    15 years ago

milehigh - hope you get someone to order with you. I am way SE of Denver (100 mi or so), so not me.

Anyway, I was talking with a neighbor who has been here her whole life, and she saids that the best peach she has ever had for canning it the Red Haven. She said that it held its color, flavor, and shape really well. She also commented that it bloomed late enough that it always bore a crop. She did not like her peach near as much. The Red Haven is a friends who lives somewhere in the mountains, she could not remember what variety her peach was, it was that good, LOL.

I am passing this info on because I am guessing you are not planning on eating all those peaches fresh, you'd turn into a peach!!

Billie

• milehighgirl
    15 years ago

Billie,

If you head to Denver every so often we could work something out. I need to find an order for at least 10 trees! It's hard to pass up because the trees are a fourth the price of retail! They carry apples, plums, and pears also!

• hlandes_verizon_net
    13 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy 2 or 3 SLAPPY peach trees?

• mstywoods
    13 years ago

Never heard of a Slappy Peach, so googled it - sounds like a great tree by this posters comment (from http://portlandfood.org/index.php?/topic/7924-oregon-peaches-on-seinfeld/ (#11):

"The peach of my childhood memories was called a Slappy peach. They were freakin' huge when I was little and soak your whole front of your shirt and dripping off the elbows juicey. Couldn't be transported, had to be eaten right there at the fruit stand, preferably leaning against a big tree on a hot summer day with a slight breeze."

Yummm, that does sound good! Guess that's why you are looking for that variety?!

We planted a Vivid peach tree this summer, so no fruit yet and it's only about 6 ft tall right now. Don't know much about it other than the description on the tag and what you can find web searching - it's a freestone, similar to Red Haven, sweet, large fruit, and the tree gets about 15 ft tall.

Marj

• milehighgirl
    11 years ago

mstywoods,

If you read this post I found Slappy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tierra Madre Farm