Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Air-Pots - want to split an order?

milehighgirl
11 years ago

I am interested in purchasing some Air Pots. They are having a great deal on their 3-gallon size; $5.00 each. but they must be purchased in 50's.

Would anyone in the Denver area like to split an order?

Here is a link that might be useful: Superoots® Special Purchase

Comments (17)

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thats not that great a deal. And I'd caution that in our dry climate, these things need pretty much daily watering once the plants get big enough.

This past season, I tried grow pots, see link. These things dried out so quickly, they were a real problem, and the plants (peppers) I tried yielded about half what my normal pots did. At the Amazon link, these are expensive. I bought 10 gallon size for about 8 bucks somewhere else.

Next season, I'm going to bunch them together so the side evaporation is less, and I'll try sweet and normal potatoes instead of peppers.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to grow pots

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

I way second what David said! The first thing I thought when I saw the "pots" was that they'd need water a couple times a day in summer. The place that's selling them is in south Florida, so clearly no problem using something like that there.

And at 5 bucks apiece, and you have to "put them together" yourself, that doesn't sound like much of a deal to me--in addition to which on their "availability" page they have a "summer special" on the 3-gallon, and on their "air pots" page they call it "fall fest pricing." On one page the show both the Summer Special AND the Fall Fest Pricing! Kinda sounds to me like they have a Permanent Sale--and can't quite get it straight on their site which one is on right now--it is definitely not summer anymore! [Brrrr! here in Denver!]

So if you got the 50 for $5 each, that's $250! Yikes! And they don't give any hint at all about how much the shipping might come out to--and no info at all about the weight to try to estimate it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that came out near $50 for something that big and bulky. And, info on their site seems to vary from page to page, but on one page it says you can get "a single bundle" of 25 for $5.50 each, but even that comes out to $137.50---plus shipping.

But the thing that really concerned me about that site is that there's no "real" information anywhere! There's NO address. There's NO phone number. The ONLY way to contact them is by email! Maybe it's just because I'm a Little Olde Lady, but I would never buy from a site that isn't willing to give me some real information about themselves. I tried to google this site to find out more and couldn't find anything at all about them. And the ONLY way you can pay is with PayPal. That seems pretty strange to me too! I used to use PayPal--until I charged something BIG one time and right after I clicked ORDER I started to wonder what happened if I didn't like it and had to return it. When I started to check out how to return something you had paid for with PayPal it sounded pretty convoluted and I haven't used them since. Also found some "unhappy comments" about PayPal when I was looking. If I use my credit card directly I KNOW I can get my money back, even if I'm just plain ripped off by somebody. PayPal--not so sure! So you can't even send these people a check? Or a cashier's check??? Guess they'd need to give you a real live address if they were gonna let you do that! Again, maybe it's just the Little Olde Lady Factor, but I have a problem with people who want me to tell them about me and to pay them, but they won't tell me anything about themselves! For all I know it's a couple guys sitting at a computer in Nigeria--and, no, in this case I don't really believe it is!

For you, MileHi, and anybody else who's looking for grow pots, what's wrong with just plain old nursery-type pots? They're cheap and virtually indestructible, and they come in beaucoup sizes.

Check out the link for an example. I found this site doing a VERY quick search, and I'm sure there are LOTS of other possibilities. This place has a REAL site, with REAL information. They give you their address, phone number, FAX number, and more! You can pay for it absolutely any way you want to, and I bet they'd even accept rolls of pennies if you took them in to them--at their address! They have "real" shipping info, and while they obviously can't give exact shipping charges due to the nature of their products, I bet a quick phone call would get you a pretty good estimate. They have a RETURN policy--that's convenient--and if the spirit moves you, you can go throw the merchandise "through their front window" since you know where they are! [Assuming you all know the commercial I'm referencing!] I don't own stock in this company--just trying to point out the "differences" between the two different "business models!" [But I AM going to save the link! They have pretty good prices on the pots, and they have 5" plant tags, 1000 for $26. That's a pretty good price!]

And at this place they have 3-gallon pots at 10 for $8 or 45 for $35--plus the shipping of course--probably still less than 2 bucks apiece even with the shipping---and you don't have to put them together, and they won't dry out so fast! They also have sizes up to 25-gallon, and have 10-gallon for a low as $4.28 each. And these things are truly almost indestructible--I have some I acquired when I was "in the industry" that range from 2-gallon to "tree size," don't really know what it's called, and I've been using them--for all sorts of things--for at least 20 years now!

Let us know what you think of the pots if you decide to get some, MileHi, but I really do think you--and your plants--would be happier with some "more regular" type pots for out climate out here.

Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Nursery pots

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

david52,

You are correct regarding the drying out of the soil. My intention was to place them above a reservoir and put a wick up the pot to provide water.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

That would help.

But I'd still want to try a few one season to see how they work before buying so many.

The best containers I've used are the self-watering kind, a built-in reservoir at the bottom with a similar open bottom for the roots to go through. With those, you can water them from the top, and later, when the plants get big, fill the reservoir in the base. Even then, when the plants are big, I needed to fill that every two days.

You can make your own using two containers that fit inside each other, but that can get a bit 'hillbilly'. Unfortunately, buying them gets expensive.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay, I'm convinced. Thanks for your input and honesty!

• highalttransplant
    11 years ago

I have no first hand experience with them, but there is a guy on another forum that lives here in Colorado and used them for peppers with excellent results.

Here's another link that has more info about that product.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Pots

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

Those look interesting. At the link is a US distributor, the prices don't seem that outrageous.

I'd still be suspicious on how much they need to be watered - that whole concept of "air pruning" roots seems ok in humid climates, not where I live.

As for creating baffles for roots, there are a lot of ways to do that. I believe I mentioned somewhere the success I'm having using pine bark from beetle-killed trees as a filler in my containers. Its acidic, so helpful for peppers, and the roots go bonkers growing in and out of the tiny beetle holes.

I'm still looking hard at the larger pots in Skybird's link. Maybe because I've far more experience with those.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to us distributor

• bman_80130
    11 years ago

just my $.02 -

I fell in love with these Air Pots after my very first use.

If you are in CO, like I am, you should have no issues with these drying out too quickly. If your garden is indoors, you will need to water your plant about once every 2-3 days. It's very easy to water using these, but it will be slightly messy. I recommend placing the pots inside of a plastic liner. Most tents come with a floor liner for easy cleaning.

The price of 3Gal./$5 each is very good, compared to the 5Gal@ $11-$14each (local denver stores)

I work in Information Technology; however, and will have to agree with the previous poster....the link that you provided seems very shady to me.

If I were you and really wanted the Super Root's Brand, I would just contact Mile Hydro, as they seem to get those much more easily than many other grow shops in the Denver area.

GYO has been on backorder since August.
    Chlorophyll can get them easier ...about 2 weeks out.
    Mile Hydro can get the 3gal pots by Wednesday direct from Super Roots (Ireland). I'd wait to just get the count you need.

I would love to go in and get 25@$5each, but I only need 15. So, 25X5 = 125, or 15X8=120. Yeah, the math is clear that the deal seems good....but then, some deals may sound good but leave a very bad taste in your mouth.

Real Manufacturer's website. They are awesome things. I highly recommend them...buy one pot from a local distributor and compare the results. I'm sold on them.

www.superoots.com/

cheers

• bman_80130
    11 years ago

Looks like the domain is registered in Florida. The website also has a link to the Admin's email...public information.
    aroidian@att.net
    Of course, the main website indicates that they are now sold out of the 3gal ones.

cheers.

WHOIS information for perfectroots.com:***

[Querying whois.verisign-grs.com]
    [Redirected to whois.melbourneit.com]
    [Querying whois.melbourneit.com]
    [whois.melbourneit.com]
    Domain Name.......... perfectroots.com
    Creation Date........ 2009-09-24
    Registration Date.... 2009-09-24
    Expiry Date.......... 2013-09-24
    Organisation Name.... Aroidia Research
    Organisation Address. 429 S.W. 3rd Avenue

Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. Florida City
    Organisation Address. 33034
    Organisation Address. FL
    Organisation Address. UNITED STATES
    Admin Name........... LariAnn Garner
    Admin Address........ 429 S.W. 3rd Avenue
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address. Florida City
    Admin Address........ 33034
    Admin Address........ FL
    Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
    Admin Email.......... aroidian@att.net
    Admin Phone.......... 305 255-7000
    Admin Fax............
    Tech Name............ Domain Manager
    Tech Address......... 5909 Walker Road
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address......... Deerfield
    Tech Address......... 13502
    Tech Address......... New York
    Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
    Tech Email........... domains@deerfieldhosting.com
    Tech Phone........... +1.3157331493
    Tech Fax.............
    Name Server.......... ns1.deerfieldhosting.net
    Name Server.......... ns2.deerfieldhosting.net

• billie_ladybug
    11 years ago

Ever notice that "everything" for gardening is geared toward the east coast? Watch out for mold and mildew, slugs and snails, poison ivy, don't over water or water from overhead. OMG my garden can't seem to get enough water some days, weeks and lately months. I guess wer are just the step-children out here.

B

• Skybird - z5, Denver, Colorado
    11 years ago

LOL! It's not just gardening, Billie! When I used to wonder about the weather when I was sitting in a hotel room on a layover somewhere my only option for info was the Weather Channel. I tried over and over but I discovered they rarely had useful information for anywhere west of the Mississippi--and on the rare occasion when they did show the "left half" of the map they were usually standing right in front of Colorado! I finally gave up in frustration and just waited to see, in person, what the weather was when I got back home!

I'm not sure we even qualify as a step-child! I think we fall more into the category of orphan: Please, sir! I want some more!

;-)
    Skybird

P.S. Really nice to see you around here again!

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I ordered a dozen 10 gallon pots from the site Skybird linked above, for $5 a piece. Those are some big pots. Next time, I'd order the 7 gallon pots.

However, I'm busy filling them with broken up pieces of pine bark, chipping it off the firewood as I bring it indoors.

Ive read that people grow container peppers in 100% composted pine bark - mine isn't going to be composted, just mixed with compost and regular potting soil. Started doing this last year with less bark, but now see that I can add a whole lot more.

The Denver stations never even put Cortez on the map when it comes to weather. I either have to watch Grand Junction or Farmington NM stations.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• billie_ladybug
    11 years ago

For really, really cheap pots, try contacting a local landscape company. Most of them throw the pots away when they are done with a job. Amy and I hauled all the pots we could from one of those companies a few years back. I think I still have a truck or two worth of 1-gallon pots and quite a few other sizes too. I pulled some out which are just a little smaller than my whiskey barrels and are using them to line the barrels (the bottoms are pretty much done for.) I also put ads up on Craigslist in the summer for the bedding plant containers to start my seedlings. You might be surprised how many people stack those in their garage and never throw them out.

Ever so familiar with both those issues. I live some place between Yoder and Boone Colorado. The only time we make the weather map is when a tornado takes apart the new school (Happened in 2001) or when there is an extreme weather warning for us (blizzard, tornado,fire)

Have been busy as well..., you fill in the blank. Between two jobs, 4-H, livestock and garden. Hoping to be able to make the swap whenever it is planned if it is not during a 4-H training I have to be at, finals week, a trial or graduation. Okay, I'm probably a little too busy... but I will try.

B

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

I've got an embarrassing number of plant pots in all kinds of sizes. The thing for container growing is that you need something a bit bigger, think tree pots.

They cost enough that the landscapers take them back to the nurseries.

I can grow stuff in smaller pots, but they get tricky keeping them watered enough when the plants are big, its hot, and the wind blows and so on.

• maxinmontrose
    11 years ago

I used large air pots (30 gallon maybe? About 24" across) for potatoes last year, and it worked great. They were out in the garden, with a drip line. Harvesting was a breeze. We just tipped them over onto a tarp, and dug through by hand to get the potatoes. My first try at potatoes, loved them! I also use these pots (smaller ones, obviously) for herb plants in my sunroom and they seem to be working well. I have them in a plastic boot tray.

• david52 Zone 6
    11 years ago

Try them with peppers and eggplant. :-) The soil warms up much quicker than garden soil, and you'll harvest peppers earlier, and at least 2X as many.

I grew sweet potatoes in them last year, and now I have my own over-wintered plants, I can start them off much sooner.

• maxinmontrose
    11 years ago

I will definitely try other things in them. It would be great to get more than the ONE eggplant I got last year!

Sponsored
Above Board Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Custom Deck & Outdoor Enclosure Solutions in Loudoun County