Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato Garden

Posted by treebarb Z5 Denver CO (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 20:05

I know a few of us order from Potato Garden (Ronnigers).
I got an email today that their prices are increasing $1 - $2 per pound on January 1, 2014. You can pre-order now through December 31st at the current prices. Just specify your desired delivery date in spring. Just thought you might want to know.

http://www.potatogarden.com/

Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato Garden

I have never grown potatoes. I was daydreaming about it this summer and I'm planning to grow some next year. I would like to grow two different kinds and am hoping to do the wooden box method. (If I buy my husband that new drill he wants, I'm sure I can get him to build them!)

I went onto the potatogarden website, I even watched the dirty jobs video from their farm. I want to order seed potatoes from them. I'm definitely into the GMO free thing.

My boxes will be about 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 feet maybe? Hmmm how many pounds of seed do I need? What kind? I would like one fingerling and one kind I can bake because that is how my daughter loves them. Anyone want to go together on an order? I'll try what you're trying!

Thanks for any potato advice for a newbie!
~Cat

o

You will have to wait for another "partner" in that potato purchase, Cat. However, I came across a report on potato growing in the Organic Gardening magazine that is linked below.

Pay close attention to the pro's & con's of each method. I don't believe the guy mentioned the costs of building anything but he quickly covers his experiences and gives gardeners an idea of what might work best for them.

As he says, hilled rows are a "proven method that farmers have used for millennia." (Most everything else he was up to has had somewhat of a shorter trial. ;o)

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 ways to plant potatoes

o

Very helpful, Steve!

I tried them in tires the first year, was my best harvest. Beginners luck I think. I tried again in raised beds the year before last, but don't think I dug deep enough and didn't get much.

Cat, I emailed you and am planning to order soon. I'll send you another email today with the varieties I'm looking at.

Barb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here