Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winter Sowing — 2008/2009!

Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 21:24

Bonnie, I’m going to start this now, and I hope you’ll pick up on it for me! I have a couple of the people I sent seed to asking questions about winter sowing—which I recommended for some of the seed, and you’re far more experienced than I, and far more qualified to answer their questions, so I’m going to steer them this way so you can help them.

I’m not going to be able to do any winter sowing this year since I’m working and won’t be home consistently enough to cover/uncover, and otherwise care for them. But I’ll be following the rest of you to see what everyone’s trying, and I’ll be hoping for everyone’s success.

Happy winter sowing,
Skybird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winter Sowing — 2008/2009!

Bonnie,
Since you're the designated expert :-)
This is the question I asked Skybird:

Do you know, when I put out containers for winter sowing, would it be better to put them in the sun or shade? I can safely put them against the north side of the house, or the south side by my garden, or on the west on the front porch, or even under the front porch. Under the porch should still get some sunlight I think, it is enclosed with lattice, but should get some south and west sun I think. I’ve been reading on the WS forum, but I also read it may be a little different with our sunshine than in other places.

Thanks!!

o

Hi Greenbean!

I put mine on the east side of the house, which is fine during the winter months, but gets 7 -8 hours of full sun by spring. Anything not planted out by April or May, gets moved to the north side. DH just finished a pergola over the patio where my containers usually sit. I'm hoping that it will provide enough shade for me to keep my containers there a little longer without frying the seedlings.

The intense sun here is definitely an issue, so be sure to vent the containers some once the daytime temps are up in the 70's, because the seedlings can fry. However, we can also have below freezing nighttime temps till late May, which will require putting the top half of the bottle/jug back on anything frost tender each night. What I did last year, was put all of the containers of tender annuals and frost sensitive veggies in the same crate. That way whenever a freeze was predicted after I had sprouts, I would just set that one crate in the unheated garage for the night, and set it back out in the morning. I left all of the hardy perennials out, but if I was concerned I did put the top half of the container back on.

Skybird is right that it does require a little babysitting once the seeds begin to sprout, but it's definitely worth it. No way could I grow the number of plants I do if I had to start them all indoors. I just make sure I plant more than I think I need, so if I lose a few sprouts to frost, or the sun, I have backups.

Bonnie

o

HA! I just realized somebody called me an expert on something. I almost spewed my coffee, LOL!

I was on my way to bed when I posted last night. When I reread it this morning, I realized I really didn't answer your question. If you can put your containers in a partly sunny location, that would be ideal. If they are in full shade, they will take longer to sprout, and will probably grow slower (unless you are growing plants meant to be in full shade). If you put them in full sun, you will have to be VERY careful about watering the containers, and taking the top halves off on warm days.

Here is a picture of some of my wintersowing containers from last year.

My WS containers

If you get strong winds in the spring, like we do here, I would recommend buying some kind of crate to put your containers in, so you aren't chasing them around the yard, like I did the first year.

I love using the 2L bottles, but my DH has decided to try and kick his soda habit, so I may have to use mainly milk jugs this year.

Soooooooooo ... who's wintersowing this year? Come out from lurkdom and check in.

I've already got a list of about 90 things that I plan to sow, and can't wait to get started. It will have to wait until after the holidays though, since I'll be in the kitchen until New Year's making homemade goodies!

Bonnie

o

I want to try it for the first time, but have a lot of trepidation. I see that your containers have the top off.
I've read the website, but would someone be so kind as to lay out your experience? Thanks.

o

Hi all, w-sowing is the only way to go! Check out the Winter Sowing forum in addition to Trudi-D's website; they are very friendly & knowledgeable. And WSing officially starts w/ the Solstice, Dec. 21st, which is (gasp) 3 days away. I won't be starting anything until March tho/sigh.

o

For example, what plants have you had or not had luck with winter sowing?
Basically, despite visiting Trudi's website, I'm having trouble picturing it in action. How quick do I need to jump on it in Spring, and how much trouble will that part take? Thanks.

o

Hi Autodidact!

I haven't been ignoring your questions. I've just been stuck in the kitchen ALL WEEK, and haven't had time to get on the computer.

I start sowing my hardy perennials in January, after I recover from the holidays, LOL! A lot of the annuals get sown in Februaary or March, but I hold off on tender things like Zinnias, Marigolds, Cosmos, and Basils. Most of the other herbs can be sown anytime. If you are doing veggies, anything that is considered cool season is fine to wintersow - things like lettuces, or other leafy greens, broccoli, cauliflower, or peas. I had good luck wintersowing tomatoes last year, but I didn't do them until March.

I usually wait until I have at least 6 or 8 containers, so I can prep my containers assembly line style. I cut them in half, or with milk jugs, I just cut a 3 sided window, then I use a soldering iron to poke several holes in the bottom for drainage. This next step is a pain if I forget to do it BEFORE adding the soil - put light colored electrical tape on the bottom (being sure not to cover any holes up), then use a Sharpie permanent marker to write the name of the seeds I'll be sowing in that container. Once you put in potting mix and wet it, the tape won't stick if the bottom of the container is wet! Anyway, then I put 3 or 4 inches of potting mix, wet it, and add a little more since it packs down once it's wet. Then all that is left to do is sprinkle some seeds, throw away the cap, and stick the jug outside.

I'm linking last year's wintersowing thread, so you can see what kinds of things people around here had good luck with. There are slso some step by step photos I posted that might be helpful.

I start getting germination as early as March, and start planting out the hardier stuff as early as late April. I keep the top half of the soda bottles to use as cloches for the tiny sprouts when we have late cold snaps. I hope I have answered some of your questions. If anything isn't clear just let me know.

Anyone else going to join me in '09?

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Last years RMG wintersowing thread

o

Thank you, high alt. Why no top on the jug?

Then once you get some sprouts in there, how much attention of what kind?

o

The cap off serves two purposes. One, it provides ventilation, so that on a warm day the heat doesn't fry the seeds/seedlings. Two, it allows snow and rain in for moisture, which is more important once things start to sprout.

Once I see my first sprout, I'll start checking the containers every day or two. They really won't need attention right away, but it's fun just to see what has sprouted : ) Mostly, it is just a matter of checking to see if there is enough moisture in the container. You can tell because there will be condensation in the top half of the jug/bottle. If not, and the soil looks dry, I will bottom water. I just put a couple inches of water in a plastic bin, then set the containers in it for a few minutes. The soil will wick up the water pretty quickly. I would avoid watering from the top, since you might wash the seeds out the drainage holes. Plus, it will encourage the root growth if you bottom water.

The only other attention the containers will need is just removing the top halves, or opening the window once the temps are in the 70's or higher, and putting the tops back on anything tender in the evening, if a freeze is expected. It just takes a couple minutes a day, it's not very time consuming. One suggestion I would make if you aren't able to check on them regularly, is to put them in a fairly shady area. That way, you don't have to worry about them drying out as quickly, or frying in the sun.

Bonnie

o

I'd like to try it again but last year nothing made it. Nothing even sprouted :(

I have the bottles from last time, can I clean them out and re-use them?

Does the soil need to be sterilized?

I had my bottles in long planters so I could pour water in the planter without disturbing the seeds.

I also kept them in front of the house which faces south/southeast. Maybe this was too much sunlight? I have either all day full sun, all day no sun ever....EVER! or mostly sun with about two hours of dappled shade.

Any suggestions on what might take up here? 8250 or so feet, June 15 last frost date, high winds, no areas in my yard are wind protected.

I'm feeling brave!!!

Jennifer

o

Jennifer, I'm sorry to hear that last year was unsuccessful! I wish I had some good advice for you, but I only know what works at my zone 5, 5650' elevation.

I did find a list on the Wintersown.org website that lists things that can be grown successfully in the colder zones. You may want to give it a look.

I say go for it again this year. Try doing things a little differently. Eventually, you'll find a method that works for you. As far as reusing the soil, you can either bake it, which will stink ... literally, or you can pour boiling water over it to kill any bacteria.

Keep us posted!

Bonnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing in zones 2,3, & 4

o

Thanks, Bonnie! I took a look and the list is absolutely gigantic!! I'm not really as cold as a zone 4 but I think it might help choosing some hardier plants to start with.

Yeah, I'll pass on reusing the soil! I think I'll start with seed-starting mix.

J.

o

• Posted by skybird z5, Denver, CO (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 21, 08 at 19:49

Jennifer, if you get a soil mix that’s specifically for seed starting, check the ingredients. Some of them have vermiculite which holds moisture for a long, long time. Some people swear by vermiculite, but I’ve never had any luck with it, and I won’t use any mix that contains it anymore. If you do get a mix with vermiculite, be very careful about watering it. Before/during germination, as long as the soil is still moist on the surface, it doesn’t need to be watered. And once they come up, if seedlings are too wet, it’s even worst than when established plants are kept too wet. With their tiny roots, they’ll keel over on you very quickly. Unless it’s something that you only have a few seeds left of, I recommend re-trying the things you did last winter. There’s no way to tell why it didn’t work last year, and maybe this year it will work.

Keep the faith,
Skybird

o

Thank you, Skybird!!

I read this to Darren and he and I shook our heads in agreement; we used a mix that had white dots in it! The soil looked kind of green and I'll bet it was too moist in there.

I'm not giving up!!

:)

o

Jennifer, the white dots are Perlite, and that’s ok. Perlite helps with the drainage and doesn’t really retain water. You probably wouldn’t be able to recognize the vermiculite in a mix unless you really knew what you were looking for—that’s why I suggested reading the label.

But I was kind of worried about overwatering when you mentioned that you had them in "planters so you could pour water in." This year leave them out where they can easily drain (but Bonnie’s idea of putting them in crates or something to keep them from blowing around is a really good idea), and keep an eye on individual containers to decide when they need to be watered and sit them in a bucket or bowl to water them individually only when they really need it. Remember that when they’re out in the cold they will very rarely need to be watered.

If your soil (and the Perlite) looked green on the top, it very likely was too wet, and that could very possibly explain why you didn’t get anything last year. Your seeds might have germinated, and then died before you even saw them. Ere on the side of too dry. As long as the surface doesn’t dry out completely, you should be ok. And once you can see seedlings, leaving the surface dry completely will actually help promote good root growth as they look for moisture deeper in the soil.

This year you’ll get something,
Skybird

o

So I'm confused about the watering part now. If I use sealed containers (CostCo takeout food containers) and water when I put them outside, will I need to water again before I see sprouts?

o

Mon, Dec 22, 08 at 13:22

I'm not sure if I'm reading you right or not, AD, but if you mean your containers will be air tight, you'll need to make some sort of holes in them for air circulation. That's why the lids are off the bottles in Bonnie's picture. And they'll need holes punched in the bottom for drainage. Then just keep an eye on them to see if they need water or not. They probably won't need to be watered until it warms up some---but that can happen in the middle of winter in many Rocky Mountain areas, especially if your containers are getting some sun.

Question! Are your containers the white styrofoam type? If so, I think you'll really need to change to something with a transparent, or at least translucent, top so the seedlings will get good light once they come up. If they're the clear plastic kind, they should work ok as far as I know.

And I think Bonnie will be along with lots more advice for you!

Skybird

o

Come to think of it, everything that I planted in the black bottom clear top that broasted chicken come in did not germinate but the 2 liter jugs and gallon milk jugs did fantastic.

Last year was my first year of winter sowing and it is something I will be doing again. I especially liked the greens (love Joi Choi) and tomatoes. But beans, peas, parsnips, pumpkins, cucks, peppers, beets and corn all made it to the garden from their mini green houses.

Of course I rely on the paper towels/liquid medium for the carrots. Just pulled the last 15 lbs or so the week after Thanksgiving. That was in a 2’x2’ square.

Cilantro and kohlriabi self sowed this year. Didn’t even try okra or any melons.

Bonnie

o

I have a few of what luckybottom said--black bottom, clear plastic top. I also have quite a few semi-clear plastic gallon milk jugs, but was going to save those to use as cloches.

o

Now that the holidays are behind us, I thought it was time to resurrect this thread.

Autodidact, I have never used the black bottom containers, so I can't say if they are better or worse than the 2L bottles, or milk jugs. If you need more milk jugs, one suggestion would be to visit a nearby Starbucks, or other coffee house. They are usually more than willing to let you take them off their hands. They will also give you used coffee grounds for your compost pile if you ask too.

I haven't actually started WSing yet, but I've saved up about a dozen milk jugs. DH has quite drinking soda. Great for him, but if I had known he was going to do that right before the WS season began, I would have been saving those 2L bottles!!! I've also been working on a list of things I plan to WS, which is RIDICULOUSLY long BTW. I've placed WAY too many seed orders, participated in too many round robins, swaps, etc. I have seeds coming out my ears, LOL! So if there is a spring RMG Swap, I can pretty much guarantee I'll have plenty of seedlings to share.

So has anyone else gotten started yet? How about posting lists of what you are sowing this year?

Plenty of snow on the ground here, but I'm thinking spring!
Bonnie

o

See what you think of this for a plan?

Image Hosting by Picoodle.com

o

Wow, Luckybottom, nice chart! You've put quite a bit of thought and time into that.

I had to pull out last year's WSing records to compare with your dates, and I think you may be a bit warmer where you are, but I WS the beans, cucumbers, melons, and squash in late April to early May. I've not grown radishes, but I believe they can be sown earlier, like when you do carrots and parsnips.

I'm trying okra for the first time, so I'm not sure, but I'm planning on sowing it about the same time as the cucumbers.

Tomatoes were WS in March last year, and the peppers I do indoors, because my season is too short to get a harvest if I WS them.

Hope this helps. This is only my third year, so I am still fine tuning my sowing dates too.

Best wishes,
Bonnie

o

Well, I got a few containers outside tonight. This is my first time, so I have a little newbie angst, but I'm pretty convinced it will be ok...

Tonight I put out about 18 containers. I planted 2 kinds of Agastache, Asclepias tuberose, Aquilegia (columbine), Belamcanda chinesis, and Dianthus knappii. These went into a collection of milk jugs, 2L bottles and a couple of juice jugs, all fit into 2 "milk" crates (not real ones, so they're a little bigger). I also decided to go ahead and use the 2 chicken containers I had saved, but to be safe I planted some of the liatris seed I collected from the little wild (I assume) plants in the back yard, and some of the randomly mixed daylily seed my DH collected near his work this fall. I have quite a bit of both, so I'll be planting more of it in other containers as well. Guess I'll know if the chicken containers turn out to be worse than other containers this way.

I put my 2 crates and chicken containers out into what I think I'll call the "Flower Corral". I have a few bales of straw I'm not using right now, so I formed the corral out near my veg garden. I figure they'll get some sun, but also some protection. I'm hoping the straw will keep them from blowing away.

At least I got some started, but I have a lot more to go...

o

FINALLY, I got a few containers sown today. I've been trying all week, but first I needed some colored electrical tape, which is how I label my containers. I know some folks on the WS forum complain about their labels fading, but they must be doing it different from me. If you write on the elec. tape with a permanent Sharpie marker and place the tape on the bottom of the container, I don't see how the sun could fade it.

Anyway, I only had 12 containers, since my DH has stopped drinking soda, but at least it's a start.

Here is what I WS'd today:

Eschscholzia californica (Calif. poppy - thanks Stevation)
Asclepias tuberosa 'Gay Butterflies'
Gaillardia 'Burgundy'
Glaucium 'Burnt Orange'
Linum flavum compactum (yellow flax)
Lychnis arkwrightii 'Molten Lava' (rec'd in trade)
Lychnis chalcedonia (Maltese Cross)(rec'd in trade)
Poppy 'Double Tangerine Gem'
Poppy (Oriental)(rec'd in trade)
Silene regia
Verbascum 'Copper Rose' (at least I think I sowed them. There were 10 microscopic seeds in the pack, which spilled out when I opened it, so not exactly sure they went in the container)

I am so thankful for all of the GW members that shared seeds out of their garden, and I can wait to be able to pass on more things from my own garden.

I have tons more to sow, but I think I will do some lettuce and other herbs/veggies next, as soon as I have some more containers.

What have you guys sown so far?

Bonnie

o

Here's my list so far. I went a little nuts ordering penstemons from Alplains and Plants of the Southwest.

astragalus utahensis
penstemon cyananthus
penstemon payettensis
stanleya pinnata
penstemon utahensis
penstemon platyphyllus
penstemon secundiflorus
penstemon angustifolius
penstemon superbus
penstemon eatonii
penstemon grandiflorus

I did some containers with greenhouses a la the method on this site, and did a few uncovered in pots which seem to be the methods recommended by the native class I took here, and the books I've read written by Colorado gardeners. So it will be interesting to compare. I mixed sand with the planting mix also since these are dryland natives. I sure hope these sprout.

I also put my winter sowing on the north side of the house. Last year I decided I wanted to try and get earlier germination, so I put them in full sun. Got the early germination and they promptly fried. Those that hadn't sprouted and that I caught in time, I moved to my patio on the north side and they germinated fine.

I've never winter sown veggies, so maybe I'll try that this year.

I think I'll go do some more right now before I have to go to work.

Bonnie,
That a great list of plants, I didn't even know there was a yellow flax; it looks purty.

o

Got a few more done today:
Lettuce, Jericho
Lettuce, New Red Fire
Lettuce, Nevada
Lettuce, Simpson Elite
Lettuce, Sunset
Spinach, Tyee
Gaillardia, Tokajer
Poppy, Red annual 12" (rec'd in trade)
Wallflower, English (rec'd in trade)
Wallflower, Siberian (rec'd in trade)

I'm just about done with my perennials now, so as soon as I get some more containers saved up, I'll start on the herbs.

Barb, cool season veggies do great with wintersowing, and so do most herbs. The only one I would wait until April to sow is basil. It will croak at the hint of a frost, LOL. I have some penstemons, but none of the ones on your list. I'll have to look those up and see if I need to add those to my wishlist : )

Happy sowing!
Bonnie

o

I did some more yesterday morning. This time I used a bunch of empty tp and paper towel rolls cut down. We'll seed if this works. Here's what I sowed...

penstemon ambiguus
penstemon spectabilis
penstemon parryi
penstemon pseudospectabilis
oenethera caespitosa
cliffrose
erigonum umbellatum

and a few repeats from the first list.

Bonnie, are your lettuces tried and true varieties for you, or are they new to you? We direct seeded loose leaf lettuces and spinach last year, but I didn't keep track of the varieties. Some we really liked and some not as much.
This year I'd like to be more organized about it and plant things we know we'll like.

Luckybottom,
Yesterday I couldn't see your spreadsheet but today it's there. Wow so organized, looks like you've got it down to a science.

Barb

o

Yikes! I am petrified but excited at the same time. Obviously I'm a beginner with a capital B but winter sowing makes so much sense. I'm collecting gallon jugs and reading everything I can on WSing so I can get started soon.

Is there anyone here in Colorado Springs? If so, anything that I need to know before I get started? What makes me nervous is the extreme variations in temperatures here. (I just moved from Florida). How will seeds live if one day it's in the teens and the next in the 60's? What special care do they need in these situations? Do I put them in sun or full shade? East for morning sun or north with no sun?

I'm so glad I found ya'll. Thanks in advance.

o

• Posted by glok z 4/5 CO (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 28, 09 at 16:56

I took the plunge and have 38 containers of my hardiest seeds out. Can't wait to see how these do compared to my MD. winter sowing! It's just something I couldn't give up! Have a ton more seeds to try closer to spring and lots of veggies this year since I have much more space to turn into raised beds! Can't wait to get out and really play in the dirt! There's lots of rocks to move too... yuck!

Anyway, glad to be a part of the RM crowd!

glo

o

Boy it sure has been quite around here lately!

Well, in case folks are lurking around, here is what I sowed today:

Canna, red
Canna, yellow
Chrysanthemum 'Primrose Gem'
Dianthus 'Ideal Select Red'
Pansy 'Panola Sunburst'
Geum 'Blazing Sunset'
Helenium 'Helena Mix'
Lychnis 'Vesuvius'
Sempervivum 'New American Hybrids'
Amaranth, edible - red leaf
Cilantro
Marjoram
Winter Savory
Strawberry 'Temptation'

I think my next batch will be more herbs, some Rudbeckias and Petunias. Anyone else WS anything lately?

Bonnie

o

I WSed these last month: since this is my first year, I'm not sure what will survive...sorry for the obnoxious list - I am addicted and I refuse to get over it:)) Amazingly, of this list I think only ONE flower has sprouted and is now dead...I plan to do a few more this month and then a bunch on March.

Cleome Purple
Tasselflower G
STOKES ASTER - lavis Blue
milkweed orange yellow
Scabiosa Blue Pincushion
Marigold - White
California Bluebells
Godetia (Clarkia) Double Azalea Flowered Mix
cleome lavender
Strawflower tall, double mix
Malva moschata Pink Mallow
Zinnia Cactus Flower Mix
Helenium Autumnale 'Helena mix'
Tassel Flower, red
Impatiens Balfourii Poor man's Orchid
Malva Zebrina
Impatiens Balsamina mix
Strawflower Sensation Giant
Green Milkweed Hairy Balls
Tassel Flower, Emilia javanica
Strawflower
Gaillardia - Burgundy
Malva moschata alba White Musk Mallow
Delphinium?
Matthiola incana 'Lucinda Dark Rose'-Stock
Penstemon "Firecracker Red" 
Cornflower 'Blackball'
Zinnia giant canary bird
Penstemon "Rocky Mountain" 
Delphinium 'Pacific Giants' - Dark Puple w/white eye
Pincushion 'Blue Butterfly'
Milkweed
Zinnia - Giant Double
Gaillardia Fanfare
Ipomoea purpurea 'President Tyler' 
Zinnia cut and come again
Pincushion Pink Mist
Penstemon "Palmeri" 
Tanacetum parthenium 'Virgo'
Malva 'Mystic Merlin'
Siberian Wallflower
Penstemon Digitalis 'Husker Red'
Lychnis viscaria (German Catchfly)
KNAUTIA-Macedonica
Rose Campion
Delphinium chinensis 'Blue Butterfly' 
Penstemon Barbatus 'Navigator Mix'
penstemon red rocks
Zinnia giant enchantress
Sweet William mix tall
Malva Fastigiata
Knautia macedonia 'Watercolors'
Penstemon 'Pikes Peak Purple'
Gaillardia Dazzler
Hardy Hibiscus
Tanacetum vulgare-Tansy
Penstemon 'Violet Dusk'
Helenium 'Autumn Lollipop'
Frittilaria Checker Lily
Swamp Milkweed

Zinnia - Giant Cactus Mix from a commercial packet
Zinnia Candy Cane Mix
Zinnia Purple Purple and Tequila Lime mix
Morning Glory Star of Yelta
Passion Flower Pasionaria Blue
Sunflower Mammoth
ZINNIA - CA Giant
Zinnia Cut and Come Again
Cornflower Bachelor Buttons - black 
Echinacea purpurea 'Magnus'-Coneflower
Pansy Corso Mix
Ratibida Columnifera - Mexican Hats
Columbine - Giant McCanna Mix (re-blooms nicely)
Sunflower Velvet Queen
Echinacea 'White Swan'
Echinacea purpurea
Liatris
Ranunculus (2 seeds?)
Zinnia Lilliput
Liatris spicata purple and white
Liatris Blazing Star
Blue Balloon Flower
asclepias curassavica Bloodflower
ECHINACEA - JADE
Cleome Pink
Asclepias tuberosa-Butterfly Weed
Belamcanda chinensis 'Hello Yellow'
Agastache pink/apricot
Borago officinalis-Borage
Echinasea tennesseensis Purple Coneflower
Moonvine
hardy Hibiscus Blushing Bride
Sunflower Chianti
Belamcamda chinensis-Blackberry Lily
Sunflower – Red Sun
Cleome Sparkler Rose
Dracocephalum 'Snow Dragon'
Asclepias Curassavica Mexican Milkweed
Sunflower bi color
Cleome Rose Queen
Joe Pye Weed
Echinacea ‘Bright Star’
LAMBS EARS
Balloon Flower Fairy Snow, Blue Splash, Komachi, Fuji White, Axe Minister, Streaked

tall zinnia
tall zinnia
tall zinnia
Zinnia Raggedy Anne
Lambs ear
Hardy Hibiscus Pink/White
Zinnia pink
Scabiosa jet black
Morning Glory Grandpa Otts
Morning Glories mix
Zinnia
Liatris Purple from commercial pack
Scabiosa Ace of Spades
Godetia Double Azalea Mix
Sunflower Mexican tithonic Torch
Zinnia tenuiflora 'Red Spider'
Scabiosa violet
Platycodon grandiflora 'Perlmutterschale' (Mother-of-Pearl) balloon flower
Scabiosa Crčme
Coneflower - Magnus  
Zinnia Profusion Apricot
Hardy Red Hibiscus
Black eyed Susan Tall
Scabiosa white
Morning Glory mix grandpa otts, scarlet ohara, jamie lynn, milkyway
Zinnia Whirligig Mix
Scabiosa dark burgundy
Lunaria (Silver Dollar/Money Plant)
CAMPANULA - Blue Clips
Zinnia Peruvian
cleome spinosa mix cherry/pink and white queen

Alyssum Wonderland Blue
Lavatera
Scabiosa butterfly blue
Platyrodon mix balloon flower mix
Zinnia Dahlia Flower Mix
rose Campion pinkish red
Zinnia - darker maroon from Austin's school
Zinnia haageana 'Old Mexico'
zinnia green envy
Acroclinium/Helipterum roseum 'Goliath' Paper Daisy
Scabiosa Mix
Asclepias Butterfly Weed
Zinnia elegans 'Oklahoma Mix'
AGASTACHE-Purple Pygmy
Scabiosa blue
Zinnia Zowie Hybrid
Asclepias Incarnata Pink Cinderella
Delphinium Chinensis Butterfly Blue
Canna Red
Zinnia Persian Carpet
Scabiosa mauve-pink
Aster Wood's Blue
allium globe
Zinnia - Dwarf Pumila Sprite Mix
Malva pure white
Zinnia haageana-Classic
Zinnia haageana 'Chippendale'
Scabiosa 'Black Knight'
Zinnia elegans 'Salmon Queen'
Band of Nobles mix
Maiden
Governor
Morello Cherry
alamo fire
silky
Tutti Frutti
Pink and White bicolor
dwarf lulu
russell hybrids
russell hybrids
nootka

Acroclinium/Helipterum roseum 'Goliath' Paper Daisy
Agastache pink/apricot
AGASTACHE-Purple Pygmy
alamo fire
allium globe
Alyssum Wonderland Blue
Asclepias Butterfly Weed
Asclepias Curassavica Mexican Milkweed
asclepias curassavica Bloodflower
Asclepias Incarnata Pink Cinderella
Asclepias tuberosa-Butterfly Weed
Aster Wood's Blue
Balloon Flower Fairy Snow, Blue Splash, Komachi, Fuji White, Axe Minister, Streaked
Band of Nobles mix
Belamcamda chinensis-Blackberry Lily
Belamcanda chinensis 'Hello Yellow'
Black eyed Susan Tall
Blue Balloon Flower
Borago officinalis-Borage
California Bluebells
CAMPANULA - Blue Clips
Canna Red
cleome lavender
Cleome Pink
Cleome Purple
Cleome Rose Queen
Cleome Sparkler Rose
cleome spinosa mix cherry/pink and white queen
Coneflower - Magnus  
Cornflower Bachelor Buttons - black 
Cornflower 'Blackball'
Delphinium chinensis 'Blue Butterfly' 
Delphinium Chinensis Butterfly Blue
Delphinium 'Pacific Giants' - Dark Puple w/white eye
Delphinium?
Dracocephalum 'Snow Dragon'
dwarf lulu
ECHINACEA - JADE
Echinacea ‘Bright Star’
Echinacea purpurea
Echinacea purpurea 'Magnus'-Coneflower
Echinacea 'White Swan'
Echinasea tennesseensis Purple Coneflower
Frittilaria Checker Lily
Gaillardia - Burgundy
Gaillardia Dazzler
Gaillardia Fanfare
Godetia (Clarkia) Double Azalea Flowered Mix
Godetia Double Azalea Mix
Governor
Green Milkweed Hairy Balls
Hardy Hibiscus
hardy Hibiscus Blushing Bride
Hardy Hibiscus Pink/White
Hardy Red Hibiscus
Helenium 'Autumn Lollipop'
Helenium Autumnale 'Helena mix'
Impatiens Balsamina mix
Impatiens Balfourii Poor man's Orchid
Ipomoea purpurea 'President Tyler' 
Joe Pye Weed
Knautia macedonia 'Watercolors'
KNAUTIA-Macedonica
Lambs ear
LAMBS EARS
Lavatera
Liatris
Liatris Blazing Star
Liatris Purple from commercial pack
Liatris spicata purple and white
Lunaria (Silver Dollar/Money Plant)
Lychnis viscaria (German Catchfly)
Maiden
Malva Fastigiata
Malva moschata alba White Musk Mallow
Malva moschata Pink Mallow
Malva 'Mystic Merlin'
Malva pure white
Malva Zebrina
Marigold - White
Matthiola incana 'Lucinda Dark Rose'-Stock
Milkweed
milkweed orange yellow
Moonvine
Morello Cherry
Morning Glories mix
Morning Glory Grandpa Otts
Morning Glory mix grandpa otts, scarlet ohara, jamie lynn, milkyway
Morning Glory Star of Yelta
nootka
Pansy Corso Mix
Passion Flower Pasionaria Blue
Penstemon "Firecracker Red" 
Penstemon "Palmeri" 
Penstemon "Rocky Mountain" 
Penstemon Barbatus 'Navigator Mix'
Penstemon Digitalis 'Husker Red'
Penstemon 'Pikes Peak Purple'
penstemon red rocks
Penstemon 'Violet Dusk'
Pincushion 'Blue Butterfly'
Pincushion Pink Mist
Pink and White bicolor
Platycodon grandiflora 'Perlmutterschale' (Mother-of-Pearl) balloon flower
Platyrodon mix balloon flower mix
Ranunculus (2 seeds?)
Ratibida Columnifera - Mexican Hats
Rose Campion
rose Campion pinkish red
russell hybrids
russell hybrids
Scabiosa Ace of Spades
Scabiosa 'Black Knight'
Scabiosa blue
Scabiosa Blue Pincushion
Scabiosa butterfly blue
Scabiosa Crčme
Scabiosa dark burgundy
Scabiosa jet black
Scabiosa mauve-pink
Scabiosa Mix
Scabiosa violet
Scabiosa white
Siberian Wallflower
silky
STOKES ASTER - lavis Blue
Strawflower
Strawflower tall, double mix
Strawflower Sensation Giant
Sunflower – Red Sun
Sunflower bi color
Sunflower Chianti
Sunflower Mammoth
Sunflower Mexican tithonic Torch
Sunflower Velvet Queen
Swamp Milkweed
Sweet William mix tall
tall zinnia
tall zinnia
tall zinnia
Tanacetum parthenium 'Virgo'
Tanacetum vulgare-Tansy
Tassel Flower, Emilia javanica
Tassel Flower, red
Tasselflower G
Tutti Frutti
Zinnia
ZINNIA - CA Giant
Zinnia - darker maroon from Austin's school
Zinnia - Dwarf Pumila Sprite Mix
Zinnia - Giant Cactus Mix from a commercial packet
Zinnia - Giant Double
Zinnia Cactus Flower Mix
Zinnia Candy Cane Mix
Zinnia cut and come again
Zinnia Cut and Come Again
Zinnia Dahlia Flower Mix
Zinnia elegans 'Oklahoma Mix'
Zinnia elegans 'Salmon Queen'
Zinnia giant canary bird
Zinnia giant enchantress
zinnia green envy
Zinnia haageana 'Chippendale'
Zinnia haageana 'Old Mexico'
Zinnia haageana-Classic
Zinnia Lilliput
Zinnia Persian Carpet
Zinnia Peruvian
Zinnia pink
Zinnia Profusion Apricot
Zinnia Purple Purple and Tequila Lime mix
Zinnia Raggedy Anne
Zinnia tenuiflora 'Red Spider'
Zinnia Whirligig Mix
Zinnia Zowie Hybrid

o

HOLY CRAP!!!
Austinhannasmom, my husband now knows there are others out there who are "worse" than me! (My WS list isn't anywhere near that long).

So, you'll be attending the spring swap... :-)

I'm look forward to hearing your results! It's my first year too. I really don't think I have enough... but I hear that's pretty normal...

o

Are your fingers sore from typing all of that out? LOL!!!!

Every time I would get to one of those spaces in the list, I would think it was the end, then it just kept going, and going. I love it! Also love the "I'm addicted and I refuse to get over it".

I have quite a few of the ones on your list, though I haven't sown them all yet. You have one listed that I've thought about doing, but never could decide on - Tassel Flower. You'll have to let me know what you think of it, and maybe take a picture or two : )

Just a heads up on the zinnias and sunflowers, they will sprout at the first warm spell, and are not frost tolerant, so be prepared to throw an old blanket over them, or move the containers to an unheated garage if a freeze is predicted after they sprout.

Greenbean, I'll have plenty of extras too, I'm sure. Speaking of the spring swap, Charlene, who's done it the past couple of years doesn't post much anymore, and I'm just wondering if we need to figure out whose house we can crash, LOL? I'd volunteer, but probably not many people (other than complete nuts like myself) would want to drive over 3 hours for a plant swap.

Bonnie

o

LOL, I was thinking "holy crap" too. Austinnhanasmom I guess you must have a good sized property to plant that many flowers. To even set that many containers out. You must have a sea of WS containers. I'd love to see a picture of that.

Bonnie, if you can get me an email, I can send you a couple of penstemons to try.

Barb

o

Thanks for the heads up Bonnie. I would cry cry cry if I kill the zinnias and sunflowers.

My yard is not nearly as big as my flower list would imply, but I do have a few areas that need cottage-style plants to out compete the weeds. I will have to try the plunk and run method of planting. My 3yo should find that entertaining. I really have no idea how I'll plant even a few of each variety, but I do intend to share most.

o

THAT is a list, austinnhanasmom! No half-heartedness on your part. :) Good luck to all of you and have fun doing it.

o

WOW what a list! Good luck taking care of all that in the spring.
I have out only two containers. I don't have any perennial seeds to put out right now and today is a perfect day to winter sow with all the snow falling. So I'm just hanging out on the forums.

o

Hi all,
Is everyone still winter sowing outdoors or is it better to start the cool veggies indoors now. I have a free day tomorrow and was wondering. I have all my milk jugs, soil and seeds ready to go.
I know I don't post much these days but I'd still be happy to host the spring swap if you all are okay with that. Or maybe there's someone more active on the boards that might want to?
Take care,
Charlene

o

Charlene, it's great to hear from you!!! I would love it if you did the Spring Swap again, 'cause I already know where you live, LOL!

No it's not to late to WS cool season veggies. I just did some today. Here's my list for today:

Broccoli, Di Ciccio
Cauliflower, Snowball
Dill, Fernleaf
Dill, Mammoth
Parsley, Extra Curled Dwarf
Parsley, Single Leaf Italian
Amaranth, Autumn Touch
Diasca, Apricot Queen
Petunia, Aladdin Orange
Petunia, Prism Sunshine
Rudbeckia, Chocolate Orange
Rudbeckia, Ruby Gold
Rudbeckia, Autumn Colors
Agastache, Apricot Sprite

That brings me up to 47 containers so far. I'm still waaaaay behind Austinnhanasmom though : )

Oh, and guess what? I also discovered my first sprouts today! Yippee !!! Four kinds of lettuce, spinach, and annual poppies. This is the earliest WSing germination I've had yet. I thought with the pergola providing a bit of shade on the patio, that the germination would be later this year.

I also had to water a couple of containers. So those of you that are new to WSing, please start checking for sprouts and if there is no condensation in the tops of the containers, it may be time to water.

Bonnie

o

Hi Bonnie,

It's good to hear from you too. I hope you are well. Thanks for the info. You are always inspiring with all the gardening you do with three kids even!

My 2 yr old foster baby girl that we had for four months left yesterday to go to relatives (that finally came forward for her) and I didn't get anything done yesterday as I have been mourning her leaving. But tomorrow I think some gardening will be just what I need. It's supposed to be 65 tomorrow!

I got another call today for a one year old baby girl that may need a home soon (permanently:) So, we'll see and if it does happen I should get stuff done now!

Charlene

o

Mon, Feb 23, 09 at 21:13

This is WAY OT, but—Charlene, I can’t even imagine having a little kid for a few months and getting so attached and then having to give them up! But—having heard so many horror stories about foster homes, it is SO nice to know that they are at a truly good, loving home for whatever time you have them. I hope you get your wish and find the baby/child that needs a permanent home before too long.

God bless,
Skybird

o

Thank you Skybird. It is way off topic so I sent you an email. Although I sent from your member page because when my computer crashed I lost everything including your email address.

o

So, today I joined the ranks of winter sowers for the 1st time! Here's what I planted:

Parsley (Flat Italian)
Parsley (Curly Leaf)
German Chamomile
Cosmos (Sensation Mix)
Cosmos Dwarf White (Little Princess? I think)
Cosmos (Dwarf Sensation Mix)
Sweet Peas (Blush Mix)
Four O'Clocks
Night-Scented Stock
Trailing Lobelia

I hope at least some of them turn out okay! I still have left to WS:

Rosemary
Basil (2 kinds)
Cilantro
Black Eyed susan Vine
Moon Flower
Baby's breath
Giant Marigolds
A few more seed packets that I have, and some more I want to get.

Do you think I should wait longer before WSing the non-hardy seeds like basil & rosemary? The rest of the flowers seemed like they called for later sowing, too. Or should I get everything started as soon as possible? It seems like people started already in December, so I don't know if it should all get planted now?

I think I read somewhere that rosemary is hard to start from seed, but I love, love, love it and I want mountains of it this year, so I thought I'd try.

Thanks for any comments, I'm so excited for this to work!!

PS - Charlene, I wish you the best of luck with your newest foster, hopefully permanent. It's a wonderful thing you're doing for those children. : )

o

Hi Sister K, and congratulations on taking that leap of faith!

Definitely hold off on the Basil and Marigolds until probably April, since neither of them is frost tolerant. The Cosmos isn't frost tolerant either, so when it sprouts, be prepared to throw an old blanket over them, or move the containers to an unheated garage if a freeze is predicted.

I wintersowed Rosemary last year, around mid-March, it was a late germinator, but put on a lot of growth over the summer. My problem is keeping it alive indoors over the winter.

I've already WS my Cilantro. It actually prefers cooler temps, so you could go ahead and sow it anytime now.

Can't give any advice on the Black-eyed Susan Vine, Moonflower, or Baby's Breath, since I've never grown those before.

Bonnie

o

Wed, Feb 25, 09 at 21:44

Bonnie, if you try again to keep rosemary in the house, leave it dry almost completely before watering it. It doesn’t like wet feet AT ALL!

Sis, black eyed Susan vine, Thunbergia, is tender, so I’d wait to start that or be prepared to cover it or bring it in after it germinates if you’re getting down near freezing.

And there are a few things called moonflowers! Do you know if yours is a Datura—trumpet shaped flowers, or an Ipomoea—morning glory shaped flowers, or something else? Knowing for sure what it is should help with knowing when best to sow the seeds.

Is your baby’s breath the perennial one, Gypsophila paniculata? If it is, you can definitely sow it now. If it’s the annual one, I’m not sure when would be best, but probably wait a while just to be sure!

I wish we’d get a blizzard—so it’d be easier to remember it’s still winter!
Skybird

P.S. Bonnie, I got all my winter sowing done! Except it did it in the ground this year—direct sowing! I did Iceland (thank you Steve) and a few kinds of opium poppies; a couple kinds of dwarf penstemon; three kinds of the short Delphinium, D. grandiflorum, an electric blue one I saved seed from, and ‘Rocket’ (thank you Steve), and an annual larkspur, Consolida ambigua; and Jacob’s ladder, Polymonium; and Androsace ‘Stardust’, a reseeding annual I want to get reseeding all over the place; and chocolate flower, Berlandiera, which I tried last year and it didn’t work—I so hope it works this year—it’s right next to my deck! Sowing them directly in the ground, I won’t need to worry about taking care of them when/if they come up, and the bark mulch will keep them wet enough until they DO come up! If it works, I’ll let you know!

o

Thank you for the kind words everyone:) Am still waiting to find out about the baby girl. One thing for certain in foster care is that nothing's for certain!

I winter sowed yesterday too! In plastic milk jugs.

I did black kale, red kale, white cabbage, red cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, snap peas, green onions. Will do more this week.

I'm debating whether to do the spinach and lettuce. We are installing hoops for plastic and shade cloth over four of my raised beds so I may just wait and direct sow them along with cilantro and parsley. My parsley has come back on its own a few years in a row now. Love that!

Question, do you sow more than one container of the same type of seed or do you find one container (say a plastic milk jug) will germinate enough for many plants? Example I did only one jug for broccoli and was wondering if that is enough? I like to have a whole row of broccoli.

Charlene

o

Wow, thanks for the quick responses, I just went and grabbed my seed packets to check!

The baby's breath says: Gypsophila g. elegans (botanic) annual, so I suppose I should probably wait on that as suggested

The moonflower doesn't say if datura or ipomoea -- it just says Burpee's Heirlooms, Moonflower, Giant White but doesn't have any botanical names. Hmm, I guess it does say grow as annual, though, so probably wait on that

The cosmos I am just dying to have since I saw a picture of them on one of these forums! Oh, well, I held some seeds back so it'll be okay if they don't make it and I have to replant.

Well, now I realize I also have some more seed packets that I forgot about when I wrote earlier:

Pyrethrum daisy
Mesembryanthemum sparkles mix "the livingstone daisy"
Morning Glory (Shiva and Picotee red)
Penny Black
Coleus

I've got blankets over a bunch of my containers with bulbs in them, and so they can be joined by the milk jugs when it gets too cold for some of the more tender seeds/shoots. Thanks everyone for your help, this is fun!

o

I checked the Burpee catalog and the moonflower is an Ipomoea, a night blooming "morning" glory! They’re pretty tender so I’d wait a while to start them and the other morning glories you listed. And, I happened to notice in the Burpee catalog that it says they don’t like to be transplanted, so I recommend either waiting a while and sowing them directly into the ground where you want them, or sow them in individual pots (or cups) so you don’t need to disturb the roots when you transplant them—just knock them out of the pots and plop them in the ground without messing with the roots!

I assume your "Pyrethrum daisy" is a painted daisy, and they’re hardy perennials and could definitely be started now.

Your Mesembryanthemum must be an annual since I don’t recognize the name, so I don’t know when that one should go in, and I never heard of penny black! What is it???

The coleus is definitely tender and can’t go out yet. When you do sow it, if I remember right, the seeds need light to germinate, so just sow them on the surface of the soil and don’t cover them with more soil.

You don’t need to worry at all about covering your containers until the seeds start to germinate, Sis. And even after they germinate, as long as it’s not actually getting below 32 degrees, and assuming you have "tops" on your containers like Bonnie shows, your things should be ok. If it’s getting below freezing, cover the containers with the cosmos and probably the Four O’Clocks, stocks and lobelia, but the parsley, chamomile, and sweet peas can take the cold, and will probably do better if you just leave them fend for themselves.

Have fun,
Skybird

o

Charlene, for me, one container of each type of lettuce, or broccoli is enough, but my garden is waaaay smaller than yours. Last year, I sowed 12 broccoli seeds, gave away part of them at the spring swap, planted out 8 of them, and it was too many for my small garden. Those things were space hogs! I'm not sure how long your row is, but I would say you could get a dozen or more plants out of one jug, which if allowed 2' per plant, would plant a 24' row.

With lettuce, I always tend to oversow. I'm not one of those that lines the seeds up in neat little rows. I'm more of a sprinkle and go kind of sower, so I plant the lettuce out in little clumps or HOS (hunk-of-seedlings). If I took the time to separate all of the tiny sprouts, I could easily get 20 or more plants per milkjug, but I usually plant 4 or 5 clumps and let the sprouts fight it out.

Hope that helps some,
Bonnie

o

How can it be March 2 already? I am a long time WS lurker and decided THIS was the year for me to explore Wintersowing. I have all the ingredients, but haven't sowed ANYTHING yet. I swear it was January just last week! :) Too late or can I get in under the wire if I sow this weekend?

Seeds:
Cosmos
Marigold
Hollyhocks
Oriental poppies
California poppies
ox-eye daisy
Black-Eyed Susan
Pansies
Zinnia
sweet alyssum
Foxglove

o

Bonnie’s gonna need to help you with some of these, Camontour, but I can help with some of them. You’re not too late, but I’d get the Hollyhocks, Oriental poppies, California poppies, Black-Eyed Susan, Pansies, and Foxglove in SOON—and I’ll defer to Bonnie on the rest of them.

But there’s one hardy one I didn’t put in above! That’s the oxeye daisy. Is that what you really have, or do you just have a shasta daisy? If your seed is for the oxeye, Chrysanthemum leucanthemum (a/k/a Leucanthemum vulgare), you might want to reconsider growing it. It’s on the Colorado Noxious Weed List! The good news is that it’s only on the "B List," so you’re not "required to eradicate it," but it would probably be good if you didn’t start any. If you want a really, really, really good shasta daisy, go with Chrysanthemum maximum ‘Becky’. It’s far and away the best tall shasta! Large, long lasting flowers on nice strong stems! You should fairly easily be able to find seed for ‘Becky’, and plants are available at any good garden center (not the box stores.)

Have fun with your winter sowing. Bonnie’s always happy to find another convert!

Welcome to RMG,
Skybird

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorado Noxious Weeds

o

Hey Skybird, I just recently converted my first "live" person, as in "not online". It was a lady that works in the garden center at the local Walmart.

Camontour, I'm not sure where in Colorado you are, but I think you have plenty of time for most of the ones on your list. I'd go ahead and WS the ones Skybird listed as soon as possible. Some of the ones on your list are pretty frost tender, such as Cosmos, Marigolds, and Zinnias, so I would hold off on those until April. If you sow them now, they will germinate during the first warm spell, and and then they will need protection from frost.

On the Alyssum, if that is a perennial Alyssum, sow it now. If it is an annual one, sow it with the other tender stuff.

I say jump in, the water's fine : )

Bonnie

o

Thank you SO much Bonnie and Skybird! Whoosh! I feel better getting some advice from you experts!

o

Your welcome, Camontour! You'll have to report back to let us know how everything turns out.

I just wintersowed a dozen containers of tomatoes yesterday. The list is posted on the Tomato Lists '09 thread if anyone's interested. I may try to get another batch of hardy annuals out tomorrow. It's starting to get a bit crowded on the porch though : ) Current total = 62 containers.

o

Hello,
62 containers! Wow! Would you say it takes twice as long for the seed to germinate or even longer? Mine are not in sun at all, well maybe just an hour in the morning on the East side of my house.

Off Topic: We took an emergency placement Sat. night of two gorgeous baby girls 18 mos. and 2 mos probably temporarily but the other little girl is looking more promising for us :) Talks are in the works today.

Trying not to blow away in the wind,
Charlene

o

I know it's late, but I'm going to try WS a few things this weekend. I will be trying:

Paris Island Cos lettuce
Red sails lettuce
Swiss chard
Bloomsdale spinach
California poppies
Swiss giant pansies

I'm also WS-ing a couple "bookmarks" (the kind where they put wildflower seeds in handmade paper), and an eight year-old packet of Cosmos, just as a wacky experiment.

Hope this works... If it does, I'll be sure to report! :)

o

Laura, I don't think you're too late on any of those. I saw some of those gift tags with the seeds embedded in them this holiday season. I didn't buy any, but I thought it was a clever idea.

Charlene, not sure I understood your question. Hope everything is going well with your search for a permanent placement. I admire you for being willing to live with the uncertainty of foster care. That would be very difficult for me.

Well, I managed to get 16 more containers done today, including the 'Sugar Ann' peas that I got from Meteor04 (Thanks again).

Snapdragon 'Rembrandt'
Gazania 'Daybreak Bronze'
Gazania 'Daybreak Sun'
Gazania 'Kiss Bronze Star'
Globe Amaranth, Orange
Linaria 'Flaming Passion'
Rudbeckia 'Cherry Brandy' (can't wait to see this one bloom!)
Lupine 'Gallery Mix'
Verbena 'Adonis Mango'
Asclepias tuberosa
Gaillardia 'Goblin' (I moved a couple of plants last fall, and not sure if they'll come back)
Pea, Sugar Ann
Pea, Sugar Snap
Pea, Super Sugar Snap
Beet, Golden Grex
Swiss Chard, Ruby Red

That's probably it for me until April, when I start the tender stuff, like Basils, Zinnias, Portulaca, etc.

Well, that's not counting the peppers, which I plan to start indoors sometime this week.

Anyone else have germination yet? My total containers = 78, my total germinated so far = 16.

Bonnie

o

I usually lurk every couple of months or so just to catch up, but Bonnie's plea to "stop lurking" has convinced me to post. I WS'd last year for the first time with probably about 30 milk containers. I think every single seed I planted came up! I don't have as many containers this year but last year I planted all perennials. After reading through this thread, I'm going to add vegetables this year just as soon as I can get containers together. I was worried about putting all my precious seeds out in the freezing cold last year, so this year I'm planting the other halves of all last years pkgs!

o

Ok, so most of my containers have sprouted and have teeny little seedlings.

Now what? Let them continue to grow for how long?

We are leaving this Sat. on a trip in the RV for two weeks! Is that too long to leave them in the containers? My neighbor will keep an eye on them and make sure they don't dry out. They are also in a very shady area.

When do you move the baby seedlings to containers? I am such a newbie!!!!

Thanks!
Charlene

o

Hi Charlene! As long as your containers aren't in full sun, and don't dry out, I'm sure your sprouts will be fine until you get back. We are going to be out of town for a few days next week, while the kids are on spring break, and I'm a bit worried about my sprouts too! The area where my containers are located gets a good bit of sun, so I'm thinking of covering them with a row cover while I'm gone to give them a bit of shade.

As far as when they are ready to be planted out, I think that is more art than science. Sometimes, I've waited too long, and they resented being transplanted. Sometimes I've planted them out too early, and they were eaten by some type of bug. The first year, something crushed one of the containers, and I had to plant out some Verbascum sprouts while they were still tiny. I thought for sure they wouldn't make it, but by Sept. they were blooming! So you just never know. Usually, when I plant stuff out, it will sit there and appear to be doing nothing for a couple of weeks, but they are busy expanding their root system, and then they just take off.

I don't plant them up into larger containers, unless that is their permanent home. They go straight from the WS container to the ground.

Have fun on your trip! Going anywhere exciting? I think we are going to the Black Canyon near Montrose. Never been there, but I hear it's quite pretty.

Bonnie

o

Tue, Mar 17, 09 at 13:59

Bonnie, here’s a link to the Black Canyon info. If you click on all the different links, you can find out anything and everything about it. Scroll down at this site for some good pics! This early in the year, it’s gonna be COLD, so be prepared. I was gonna suggest you do the drive over Owl Creek Pass from Ridgway to Cimmaron, but then it dawned on me that it won’t be open for months yet! If you head down that way in summer, or especially in fall, I highly recommend it. And you may want to take the drive straight down US550, thru Ouray, over Red Mountain Pass, The Million Dollar Highway, to Silverton. Both Ouray and Silverton are nice little mountain towns, but I’m not sure how many of the shops will be open yet. Silverton is where the Durango narrow gauge train ride stops—in summer. It doesn’t go that far in winter, so most things in Silverton are probably still closed up too, but the ride over Red Mountain is spectacular at any time of year. I almost forgot! The Ute Indian Museum on the south side of Montrose is small but pretty interesting—don’t know how interested the kids are in museums! But it’s also the Montrose Visitor’s Center where you can pick up info about other things in the area (that’s where I found out about Owl Creek Pass!)

Have fun,
TravelBird

o

Thanks Bonnie. I will just water before I leave and have my neighbor check on them.
We are going to California to see family and spend some time in the desert and on the beach.
Have fun on your trip!
Charlene

o

Now I'm up to 10 containers! *cheer*

Photobucket

Here's a question, though: As you can see, my WS jugs are fenced in with the garden, where they currently only get 2-3 hours of direct sun. I'm wondering if they need to be moved more into the light, or if I should just let them sit until the planet tilts further south, thus warming them with the rest of the garden? I'm guessing the latter, because our sun is so incredibly intense up here, but thought I'd ask for a second opinion.

Thanks,

Laura

o

Sounds perfect to me, Laura! Mine get 6 - 7 hours of sun, and I wish I had a shadier spot for them. I've fried sprouts before, by not venting the containers soon enough in the spring. My husband built a pergola over the patio this past fall, so the containers are getting some dappled shade now, which I hope will give them some protection.

Bonnie

o

Oooh, a pergola -- how nice of him!

I'm eager to get my first sprouts, but I also don't want to trick them into growing TOO soon.

Now I have another concern: I just read that peas don't like their soil overly cold and wet. I hope they don't rot before they germinate. I soaked them overnight, as per tradition, and then gave the continer a super-big drink before planting. They're shelling peas -- "Progress #9". Upon reflection, the potting mix is rather heavy on the peat moss, and now I'm wondering if A) this will keep things too soggy, and B) if it will be too much on the acidic side.

Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

o

• Posted by glok z 4/5 CO (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 13:27

My Tidy Tips have sprouted! I was so excited when my grandson and I discovered them this past weekend! I am so ready to start planting! My dh is about to ban me from any stores that carry seeds, roots, and anything else garden related! I bought 2 blueberry root stock, a forsythia, 2 honeysuckle, and more peonies and some hosta to go with my pink and white bleeding hearts and ferns. My garage looks like a plant store! The deer will probably love me! (if anything grows up here!)

happy sowing,
glo

o

I just thought I'd come post this pic of a couple of the things I winter sowed LAST year. The front one is an Aubrieta, and the back one is a Sweet William--I have several more, but I love them, and I keep hoping they'll attract some hummers to my yard like they did when I lived down near Parker. From the looks of the dark leaves on this one, it should be a nice dark color--hopefully a red. They're just getting started, but I'm expecting big things of them this year. Thanks for telling us all about winter sowing, Bonnie!

Skybird

o

I have sprouts!
I was watering my containers today and found a few Rocky Mountain Penstemon, Dianthus knappii and Liatris sprouts! I think once the cold weather moves along next week, I'm going to take the jugs out of the straw bale "corral" and move them to the porch.

From Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

I had them in the "corral" because I didn't want the strong sunshine or few warm days to fake them out. They're a little shaded there and I think the straw bales might help insulate them and keep the temps more stable. I think I'm going to move them out of there soon though. I'd better get busy on the bed prep though...:-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Tales of a Transplanted Gardener

o

Congratulations on your sprouts, Greenbean! Did they make it through the cold snap okay?

We were out of town from Thursay through Sunday, and the lows while we were gone ranged from 14 - 25 degrees. I thought about bringing the sprouted containers into the garage, but didn't want them to get used to those warmer temps, so I took a chance and just covered the containers with a 25' row cover, which I folded in half and secured. I haven't checked all of the containers, but lifted one corner just now, to see how the sprouts were doing. Everything looks just like it did before I left, even the tender annuals. The low tonight is supposed to be down to 20, so I'm leaving the cover on one more night. I am so pleased with the results! Moving jugs back and forth is kind of a pain, so I'm glad to have a simpler solution for those springtime cold snaps. It was $12 for the medium weight cover, but there was also a lightweight one for $9. Worth the investment in my opinion.

Bonnie

o

I looked at the penstemon jug the other day and I still have a couple sprouts in it, so I think they're ok. If not, there's still a lot of unsprouted seed in those jugs as I only had a tiny number that were sprouted. After this next storm rolls through, I'm thinking I'll move the containers to my front porch (maybe warm weather will come back this time). On the porch, they'll get strong west sun, a little south sun and may warm up faster. Of course, now that I think about that a little, they may get colder faster without the ground to insulate them. I may need to re-think the location a little. Anyway, I plan to move them to a sunnier spot soon.

I also started some more jugs that I put onto the front porch at the beginning of the cold weather last week and I added a couple more today. I started some herbs, annuals & perennials for companion planting and also some mesclun, lettuce, spinach, onions & broccoli.

I'm hoping to have a little nice weather soon, I want to put in a couple apple trees. I want to get a head start on digging the planting holes in case the ground is as hard there as where I put the lilacs. I think it will be better, especially after getting some snow, but I want to be ready before I bring the trees home (which I'd like to do this weekend).

o

No sprouts here, although the snow finally melted off the the jugs.

Photobucket

I have another question. It it OK to water from the top instead of the bottom? The winds have been so strong and drying up here that I added some water though the openings at the top of the jugs -- and now I have a bit of a depression in the middle of some of the container's soil. Hope the seeds weren't too disturbed...

o

Hi Laura! I water from the bottom once I have sprouts, but before the container germinates, I use the mist setting on the hose sprayer when the top of the soil dries out.

Our forecast is calling for a couple more inches of snow tonight and tomorrow, so I guess I'll leave that row cover on for a couple more days.

Bonnie

o

Well, I checked my containers late this afternoon and guess what I saw coming up? All my lettuce sprouts! *cheer* I now have Paris Cos, Buttercrunch, mesculin mix and salad blend mix all peeking white hypocotyls up out of the soil.

Thanks for the tips, Bonnie. Since I don't have a row cover yet, I'll find something else to put over the jugs in case the temps drop too drastically overnight. Hope it works...

o

Laura, you could use an old sheet, or blanket, or curtain sheers, even old towels.

Well, I actually planted out my first couple of jugs yesterday. They were annual poppies.

Wintersown Poppies, Planted out 4-2-09

California Poppies

Poppies, Annual Red (12")

I put the top half of a water bottle over them, since we have snow in the forecast. Last year, all of my poppies died after transplant, so I wanted to get them in the ground earlier this year. Just hope I didn't do it too early.

Anyone else planted out yet? Once this snow storm moves through, I plan to get the lettuces, spinach, and chard planted out, and just use a row cover if it gets below freezing at night.

Bonnie

o

Well, today's Wednesday, and the poppies are all still alive. I've even taken the caps off of them now. Lettuces got planted out yesterday, and seemed fine today, even though it got down to 30 last night. Feeling brave after all of that success, I planted out two kinds of wallflowers today. They have caps on them though, since we are having 45 mph wind gusts, and a chance of snow tonight.

Out of 95 containers planted so far, I have germination in 57. That doesn't count the one tomato sprout I had, which sadly, did not make it throught the last cold snap. (sound of trumpet playing taps). Okay, enough grieving, I already resowed it, LOL!

What I have left to WS - basils, marigolds, zinnias, and sunflowers. I should pass the 100 mark this year.

So how many containers have you guys sown? How many germinated so far? Anyone else started planting out? No one has checked in for a while now. I'm hoping everyone is having a successful wintersowing experience.

Bonnie

o

Mine were frozen solid again the other day when I moved them to the front porch. The few sprouts I had are still there though.

o

Hi -- I am a newbie and sowed 21 milk jugs the first week of March:

Sprouts:
Hollyhock
Rudbeckia
Foxglove
Panises
Poppies
Bachelor Buttons
Delphinium
Moulin Rouge Sunflowers
Alyssum

Still waiting:
Columbine
Northern Sea Oats

Do you all usually wait for true leaves to plant out? Is there a danger in waiting too long after true leaf stage?

This week I will sow
Zinnia
Marigold
Cosmos

Thanks for the great post!
Christy

o

Hi Christy!

Congratulations on all of your sprouts!

I usually wait until the first true leaves, but I know some people don't even wait that long. Then again, there are folks that still have sprouts in their wintersown containers in the fall! The problem that I have had with waiting too long to plant out, is that the sun is so intense here that the sprouts can't handle the heat stress. My strategy this year, is to plant out as early as possible, then provide frost protection if necessary. Today, I planted out the peas, broccoli, and spinach, but if I need to I'll put the floating row cover over everything.

Photobucket

The lettuce is looking a bit beat up after the 45 mph winds yesterday.

Oh, the sunflowers are not frost tolerant, so they will need extra protection until after the last frost date. The poppies, alyssum, pansies, delphinium, and probably the rudbeckia could be planted out now. The others I haven't grown, and am not sure about. I'll be sowing my zinnias, marigolds, sunflowers, and basil in the next week or two.

Bonnie

o

Another first-year wintersower checking in here!

I have read this thread a couple of times, and I'm glad it has been revived. Regarding the earlier questions (from February, no less!) about if it's too late to wintersow, and bearing in mind that I "discovered" Trudi's wintersowing site probably late April 2008 and so didn't WS anything last year, my thought process was this:

In the intense sun of Colorado, and the well-known warm spells that frequent February and March around here, followed by the infamous spring storms, I waited until March's first big storm, which just so happened to be late March. I can just picture it, should I choose to sow at the Solstice, as many do: the jugs sprouting in February, after having been through a couple of good freezes in late December and January, and then everything dying off later when the temps hit 10 degrees in April. I'm not one to run out in a blizzard and cover everything, nor do I sweat lugging jugs back and forth (hey, I work for a living; besides, I'm lazy!). So, my plan was to wait, and I think I did OK in doing so. We DID get big storms, and big snows (in fact, that first biggie was when I sowed my first batch, and Hubby thought I was NUTS for throwing them out on the porch in a white-out!), and WAY cold temps after that, and I am pretty sure that I would have lost anything that had sprouted at that point had I sown earlier.

So far, I can report what I consider success: We have only had a couple nights of NOT freezing since the last of the serious cold, and only my alyssums have sprouted (without ONE night of not-freezing temps!?! Hardy!?!), so no "lug-the-jug" dances going on at my house. My containers are on a south-facing garage wall, which is dappled by the ash tree branches, then full sun for 2-3 hours, then shade pretty much by 2:00 for the rest of the day (the house is west of this, so it's technically an "eastern with south" exposure. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!). I did stick my hand into one of the larger jugs about 12:15 to feel the air temp, and it's pretty toasty in there--not enough to cook sprouts, but it likely would be if they had full sun for the rest of the afternoon.

I figure this is pretty ideal for these babies: in Colorado, with the intense sun, and lots of it, as well as freakish warm then cold spells, it's probably good to sow a little later (those of you with experience, feel free to put this newbie in her place! However, I have a scientific mind, and tend to "think" of what makes sense. A natural for wintersowing, no?), and subject them to cool nights with a period of intense heat. There's a bit of tongue-in-cheek to that thought for anyone who knows that old Colorado saying about waiting 5 minutes for the weather to change, but the hot days and chilly nights are pretty much why I can't seem to grow okra here!

Any other thoughts on crazy weather-patterns and sun-warmed containers causing a earlier-than-desired sprouts? Is my hypothesis going to result in less-hardy eventual plants? I am hoping to see some more sprouts now, since we're due for at least a week of above-freezing temps, so I hope to report that I have more babies soon. Lot's sown: tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, radishes, carrots, let's see... Oh yeah, did I mention tomatoes? I can't stop myself in that department! Tomatillos, goji, pansies, petunias...

o

Bonnie wrote:

"So how many containers have you guys sown? How many germinated so far? Anyone else started planting out? No one has checked in for a while now. I'm hoping everyone is having a successful wintersowing experience."

WS Status Report
Date: 4-10-09

-- 10 milk jugs

-- 8 germinated so far.

-- No planting out yet.

I'm beginning to wonder about the peas, though. Shouldn't they be coming up by now?

o

I'm so far behind it's ridiculous. I've only managed to get three types of beans sown in the 6 packs covered with a baggie (with vents) and only have one scarlet runner bean that isn't quite sure it wants to completely sprout. It's little head is still tucked, barely peeking out of the soil. I am still planning on getting tomatoes, peppers and eggplant started; hopefully soon, but i think I said that last time :-).

o

Laura, how long ago did you sow the peas? Mine took about three weeks this time. Last year, they were up in 10 days, but I sowed them later, so they came up quicker. You've got an 80% success rate, not too shabby!!!

Mayberry, I think sowing later to avoid babysitting sprouts is a good idea, if you are sowing mostly annuals. There are some perennials that actually need several weeks of cold to germinate. The other issue is that the sprouts won't be very large by the time the heat sets in here, so they will have to establish their roots in a stressful environment. Sprouts planted out early will already be established and better able to handle the heat. So the way I see it, you're either going to cover the wintersown containers with a row cover, or old blanket, during cold snaps if you sow early, OR your going to have to provide some kind of shade, a lawn chair, or upside down crate, for the sprouts after you plant them out if you sow later. Does that make sense?

Dafy, great to hear from you!!! Are you starting the tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant outside or inside?

Gotta run! The town's having it's annual Easter Egg Hunt this morning.

Bonnie

o

I have no time to babysit seedlings inside so it will be outside in cups with bags again. The tomatoes and peppers loved it last year so we'll try it again.

o

Does anyone know where to find seeds for SugarHat lettuce? I got some of this lettuce from a CSA, but I can't find seeds anywhere. When I search on it, I get hits from several CSAs but no seed companies. I loved the lettuce.

o

Bonnie -- Make that a 90 percent success rate! I planted the peas March 18th, and they just came up today. *cheer* Now everything I planted has sprouted except for the pansies...

Dafy -- I'd like to hear more about this cup/bag technique of yours.

loveseeds -- Have you tried looking for it under the name "Sugarloaf" or "Zuccerhat"? I think they might be the same variety:

http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/Home/Gardening/Kitchen-Garden/Vegetables/Vegetable-Groups/Leaf-and-Salad/Chicory/Plants/Plants-2.html

http://www.kingsseeds.co.nz/shop/Vegetables/Vegetable+Groups/Salad+&+Leaf+Crops/Chicory+&+Endive/Chicory+Sugarloaf.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Available at Wild Garden Seed

o

Laura,
You're giving me hope still. Mine are being slow, and now it's supposed to snow again this weekend. Maybe it will rain, but they were saying snow above 7000' and we're right about 7000'...

I did see the beginnings of a broccoli sprout tonight.

o

Laura, it's easy. Just a plastic cup with holes poked in the bottom, a ziplock inverted over the top with the corners cut off and a V cut in the middle, and a chopstick to keep the bag propped up. As you can see I wrote the name of what was planted and when it was sown. Just make sure not to completely enclose the cup; you need to leave the bottom open.

Tomatoes

After planting out, I just stack them back up in the garage and reuse next year.

Jen

o

Just be sure the name is on the cup too, like Jen did, and not just the plastic bag, so that when you take the bag off, you'll still know what you have, LOL!

Well, I believe I am done sowing for the most part. I actually ran out of my seed germinating mix, so there are 3 or 4 odds and ends that I'll have to sow when I pick up some more dirt.

New count:
107 sown
61 germinated
15 planted out

25 of those were sown in the last two weeks though, so I'm sure my germination percent will improve shortly. I've got quite a few things that are just about ready to plant out. I'm just waiting on this next little storm to pass.

Happy gardening!
Bonnie

o

Well, now I've got all ten jugs sprouting -- 100%!

Photobucket

Now that I know it works so well, I wish I'd done more. :)

(Is it too late to try nasturtiums, marigolds, or tomatoes? I noticed that Jen's cup n' ziploc tomatoes were planted back in March....)

o

Laura, now is the perfect time to sow nasturtiums and marigolds, since they are not frost tolerant. They need to be sown pretty close to the last frost date, otherwise they will need extra protection every time the low drops below freezing. Only one of my wintersown tomatoes has sprouted so far, so I don't think you are too late on those either, but I would do them as soon as possible.

Well, I'm having to resow a couple of things. The forecast called for a low of 34 the other night, so I didn't cover my newly planted sprouts, and it got to 32 with a light frost. I lost some English wallflower and dianthus. I also lost a few pea sprouts and a couple of broccoli sprouts, but I don't think it was the frost. They weren't looking good from the beginning, not sure what I did wrong there, maybe killed them with kindness by watering too much? Anyway, those have been resown, the dianthus I'll sow tomorrow, but unfortunately I don't have anymore of the English wallflower seeds, so I'll just have to find something else for those spots.

So what are those cute little sprouts in the picture?

Bonnie

o

I have some lettuce and broccoli sprouts now. I'm going to put out a few more containers this week. Home Depot has seeds buy one get one free right now, and I couldn't help it, I bought just a few more things...

Most of my containers haven't sprouted yet. They're going to be moved to a more south facing location soon I think. The weather this week should help I think.

o

Bonnie -- the sprouts in the photo are either Paris Island cos or Buttercrunch lettuce (didn't check the label on the bottom, and they looked the same at this point.)

It was so warm up here today that I actually moved my jugs to the shade! As soon as I get some wire to make extra hoops, I'm going to plant out and protect 'em with floating row cover...

o

Reporting in after 2 weeks the peas (Alaska & Snow Peas) have all sprouted, but no signs of anything else yet. I've got scallop squash, eggplant 4 variety, wisconsin tomatoes, sweet peppers and more beans.

Where is everyone else at?

o

• Posted by sister_k Zone 5 Lafayette, CO (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 23:54

Okay, I have one or more WS sprouts of the following (see list below). I think there are 75 things, so you don't have to count! Some of them I only have one lonely sprout, but some are more plentiful. I definitely lost a few sprouts along the way and re-sowed a few (lost night stocks, a morning glory, some parsley, beets, lettuce, etc.) I'll be bringing a few things to the Spring Swap (need to figure out which this weekend & will post then on that forum). I don't know if any of these are going to survive the transfer to my containers and to planting my friend's yard, but it's still pretty exciting to know it works so well!

I used the following types of containers for my winter sowing:

Seed flats with clear domed lid
Dixie cups in lasagna pans with clear lids
Milk jugs
Cat litter jugs
Clear plastic cosmetic jugs
Jiffy peat pots

Maybe I'll get around to post a picture or two this weekend. I went a little overboard since I don't even have a yard (of my own) to plant in! I think it will be so funny when I have one carrot, one beet, one squash one hollyhock, one daisy -- it's not exactly a huge crop of any one thing since I wanted to try lots of different things! Oh well, I'll learn from many mistakes this summer, I'm sure! Okay, here are the sprouts (it looks like so many when listed out, but doesn't seem like much out on the balcony...)

Alyssum (Sweet, Rosie O’Day, Lobularia maritima)
Aster
Baby’s Breath
Basil (Fineleaf Dwarf Bush)
Basil (Fino Verde)
Basil (Genovese Italian)
Basil (Lemon)
Basil (Sweet)
Beet (Detroit Dark Red)
Beet (Early Wonder)
Black Eyed Susan Vine (Thunbergia alata, Spanish Eyes Blend)
Cantaloupe
Carrot (Long Imperator #58)
Cat Grass
Chamomile (German)
Chamomile (Roman - Chamaemelum nobile)
Chives
Chives (Garlic)
Cilantro
Coleus (Rainbow Blend)
Cosmos (Candy Stripe)
Cosmos (Dwarf Sensation Mix)
Cosmos (Dwarf White - Little Princess)
Cosmos (Sensation Mix)
Cosmos (Sonata Dwarf)
Daisy (Mesembryanthemum sparkles mix "the livingstone daisy")
Daisy (Painted Daisy, Pyrethrum)
Dianthus (Ipswich Pinks)
Dianthus (Microchip Mix)
Farewell to Spring
Feverfew (from Bakemom in Ohio!)
Feverfew (Tanacetum (Chrysanthemum) parthenium)
Forget Me Nots
Hollyhock (Mix)
Lavender (Munstead)
Lavender (Vera)
Lettuce (Bibb)
Lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson)
Lettuce (Buttercrunch)
Lettuce (Cook's Blend)
Lobelia (Cascade Mix, Trailing)
Marigold (Giant)
Marigold (Snowball Hybrid)
Marjoram
Mesclun (Sweet Salad Mix)
Nasturtium (Glorious Gleem, semi-trailing)
Nicotiana Alata (Tobacco Jasmine)
Pansy (Blueberty Sundae Mix)
Pansy (Springtime Mix)
Pansy (Trimardeau Mix)
Parsley (Curly leaf)
Parsley (Flat leaf italian)
Parsnips
Penny Black
Pepper (Jalapeno M)
Petunia (Tidal Wave Hybrid Mix)
Phlox (Night Phlox - Zaluzianskya)
Poppy (California, White Linen)
Poppy (Shirley, Falling in Love)
Portulaca
Rosemary (French)
Sage
Sorrel
Squash (Straightneck Early Yellow)
Stock (Night-scented)
Sweet Pea (Old Spice)
Sweet Pea (Wedding Blush Mix)
Sweet William (Double Mix)
Sweet William (Wee Willie Mix)
Thyme
Tomato (Endless Summer)
Tomato (Fourth of July Hybrid)
Tomato (Roma)
Tomato (Yellow Plum)
Zinnia

o

LOL!

Hooked!

Skybird

o

FINALLY finished my WS project for 2009.

I sloppy sowed 400 varieties of flowers.

Now they need to sprout so I can plunk and run:))

And then wonder - what is that? Is that a weed?

The BEST part - DH said I can keep my jugs!!! Yipee!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rocky Mountain Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here