Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rinaldo_gw

Over the Moon

rinaldo
10 years ago

I noticed on HMF that Over the Moon is not recommended for warmer climates. What has been your experience with this rose in 7b and warmer?

Comments (7)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    10 years ago

Beautiful, big blooms that the thrips love.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Over the Moon is an excellent rose in my zone 7 Alabama garden. Beautiful, huge blooms come in quick flushes throughout the growing season. It will bloom even in our hottest times without bloom size being compromised. Blooms do fade quicker in high heat, and spent blooms need to be deadheaded as they are not attractive and donâÂÂt fall off easily on their own. It will blackspot here if not sprayed, but in my humidity, almost every rose will. ItâÂÂs an excellent cut rose and has a nice, clean moderate scent. Mine has grown to about 5 ft tall and around 4 ý to 5 ft wide in just a few yearsâ time.

Edited to add that the below pictures are from August when it's pretty darn hot here.

{{gwi:227432}}

{{gwi:227433}}

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Mon, Feb 24, 14 at 11:30

• rinaldo
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, those blooms are seductive! I have to order it now--and get ready to spray for thrips. Thanks.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

W O W !!
    Those are gorgeous!! They're so HUGE and there are so many blooms!!!
    I'm in awe!
    Carol

• jockewing
    10 years ago

Pat your roses are absolutely amazing! Where exactly are you in Alabama? I guess you must be way up north to be in zone 7. My climate is similar in New Orleans area except more humid and warmer in winter (zone 9a). Have you tried any roses on fortuniana? And what is your spray program? Last year was my first with roses and I had to spray at least every 2 weeks, using either propicanizole or tebucanizole. In late July every time I went to spray it rained, and just missing that one time resulted in black spot.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack.

Over the Moon is amazing but my yard is so small and not enough full sun, i don't have much room.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Your Over the Moon is stellar. Mine is poor here. It barely hangs on. I don't think it likes this area. Thanks for the eye candy.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    Bustopher, I'm sorry to hear your OTM isn't doing well. Mine is grafted on Dr. Huey, but climate could make the difference, as well.
    Jockewing, I'm sending you a separate email.