Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linrose_gw

Anyone grow Carefree Celebration?

linrose
15 years ago

I ordered this just because it's supposed to be orange and because it's a Radler rose (Knockout et al.) but I haven't heard anything first hand about it. I'd like to include it in a yellow/apricot/orange bed that already has Carefree Sunshine in it along with Westerland and Jude the Obscure and Pat Austin.

When I placed my orders I kind of went crazy with the yellow/apricot/orange roses this year. I hope I didn't blow it too much.

What do you think?

Comments (46)

• pocajun
    15 years ago

I had it last year. It faded to light apricot the next day, not much orange at all. Compared to all the shrubs which bloom a lot nowadays it is a sparce bloomer. Pretty good disease resistance but did get some spots here in the deep South. It may do better where you are.

Patrick

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Hi, Mine bloomed OK but it didn't get tons of sun. My sister in law had hers in full, full sun and I believe she said hers bloomed great and got huge. Mine wasn't real orange either but it was pretty. Judy

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    15 years ago

I planted it this time last year - it gets afternoon sun, has grown well and made a big shrub. It blooms all the time for me and I like the apricot color. I just wish the blooms were a bit bigger. Buts its been healthy, green leaves and I may get another. I think you will like it. I would like to hear more reports on it.
    Judith

• Cindy Ehrenreich
    15 years ago

This is a beautiful bush, always blooming and disease free, but it is not orange. Mine was more of a coral.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

Livin Easy..great rose..disease hardy and stays orange

• linrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had Livin Easy for only one season but it succumbed to the Easter freeze of 07. I liked it though, I might try it again, thanks for reminding me of it.

• Cindi_KS
    14 years ago

Linrose, who did you order your Carefree Celebration from?
    The photo is beautiful.
    cindi

14 years ago

I will comment again now that my roses are blooming. CC is blooming its head off, I love the color, the leaves are healthy and I like it so much I have purchased another. It has made a huge shrub. I didnt prune it alot this spring......Its only downside is that the blooms are not huge but there are lots of them so the bush is always attractive. Like this one alot!!
    Judith

• linrose
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I got mine from Chamblees.

• lauraja_rocketmail_com
    12 years ago

In WI with too much shade, it blooms beautifully, with lovely coral-orange blossoms!!

• Alyce Venice
    9 years ago

Hi, Advice appreciated. Trying to select new coral/orange rose for 60 foot planter.I have had great success with landscape rose called Drift in coral in my succulent garden.
    they bloom continuously need no care but are not what I want for new planter. Currently have Ficus Repens and Hydrangea in the planter but it is just too sunny for hydrangea.They get leaf burn and I need to move them back to other side of the house where they did well. Roses I am considering are Coral Beauty,Carefree Celebration,Matchless Mother, Grand-Duc Henri, Tintinara, and Memories. I really love a larger blousey type of blooms and the landscape roses are great at a distance but small blooms.The planter is deep and 24 " wide and not enclosed on the bottom for good drainage.I want to be able to cut blooms for the house. Sun & water are no problem but choosing ten of the right roses is the challenge. All advice appreciated.Ficus is out of control as I am trying to espalier it and supports not all in yet.

• lovetogarden
    8 years ago

Just got one today at Home Depot for 50% off sale. Paid 10 bucks for it. Love the coral color. It really pops. The only reservation I have about it is that I live in zone 5 now and am afraid I will lose it over the winter. We've had 2 horrible past winters and supposedly there is another one on the way due to a monster El Nino forming. Anyway, I would love to put it in a place where it will get visibly viewed since it is so pretty.

• braverichard (6a, North MO)
    8 years ago

All of Radler's roses will survive zone 5 with no protection, in fact isn't Carefree Celebration good to zone 4 with no protection? You should be fine.

• lovetogarden
    8 years ago

Thanks braverichard. I will now create a place of prominance for this beautiful rose. BTW - I know it says that it will reach 4' X4'. Will the same be true for my zone? Thanks for any info.

• hugogurll
    8 years ago

Shovel pruned it quickly. Didn't like the murky coral color. The petals would scald before the flower was fully open. Many of the blooms had a cabbage like ball with the center petals.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My local friend grows CC and it does very well so I'll be planting one next year...His is about 4ft x 4ft but not sure if it gets much winterkill or not.... I will ask him...

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    8 years ago

Lovetogarden - my Carefree Celebration stays 4X4 in a cold zone 4 pocket of my yard, so it should be hardy and relatively compact for you. FWIW, I like the color variation and the parchment shade it fades, but you do have to be prepared for a multicolor effect of the plant.

Hoping this posts - for three tries, Houzz has bounced me back from posting.

Cynthia

• lovetogarden
    8 years ago

Thanks guys.

Jim, I would appreciate that so I would know whether to give this better winter protection than just an extra shovelful of mulch. Might even treat it like I did roses when living in zone 4 - burlap wrap.

nippstress - I hope it doesn't stay compact. 4' high and wide is what I hope I'll get.

phylllssteen - so far I haven't seen that cabbage ball in the center if the flowers. I don't think I'll have to worry about leaf or petal scalding in my climate. I happen to like the fact that not all the flowers are a uniformed color. I think it's very interesting. Mutabilis rose behaves this way and is very popular. I think this rose is prettier than the Mutabilis rose because of the coral shades and because the roses are doubled, resembling tea roses. Peach and coral shades are my favorites for roses.

8 years ago

My friend loses about 40%-50% cane length average so roughly 2ft... But he said it has a lot of vigor and grows back quickly... You are one zone colder than us though lovetogarden ...SO?

He does not winter protect CC here in zone 6a...

How much cane length do you lose in an average winter nippstress???? Do you winter protect CC nippstress?

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    8 years ago

Lovetogarden, I told myself I would not do this again. I know this is about Carefree Celebration. Yet, since you love peach and coral roses. I must put in a recommendation for Fire Opal. It's so gorgeous. It's a coral cream, hugh semi double flower and very healthy no spray. Sorry

8 years ago

I was looking at Fire Opal myself but its fairly new 2014 so disease resistance is still probably still question-able for a couple more or so years... Do you grow it Patty? Anyone?

8 years ago

Yes, I got it this year. I can't comment to much yet but there's not a spot on her. Planted end of April she stands 3 feet tall. The flower is 4 inches across. It doesn't last very long but semi double and singles usually don't. I expect form to be a bit better with age. I've seen a couple so far that look like her pictures. Went out to take a photo but there not that good. The flower photo is fully blown after 3 inches of rain this morning. Yippy, our first rain since the 2nd week in June.

8 years ago

Thanks Patty... The original poster of this thread was made in 2009...

lovetogarden(z5a NY) a recent poster already bought a CC and was wondering whether it needed winterized in there zone or not......

I'll be getting Carefree Celebration for sure next year as I already ordered it....lol

It does very well around here...But I can not speak for other locations...

8 years ago

Patty- thanks for the great photos of Fire Opal. Yours looks more robust than mine, as mine has only had a few blooms and they're close to singles Still, it's a young rose and it looks to be fine, just not yet something that "speaks" to me much yet.

Jim - I do a marginal winter protection for most of my roses, where I lay filled leaf bags around the edges of the rose beds for a little wind protection. Only the teas and chinas get filled leaf bags stacked vertically around them with full protection. In a normal year, I don't have much surviving canes on any of the HTs or floribundas, and only a few of the shrubs (like Easy Elegance or Explorers), as well as climbers. I don't recall that CC had much surviving cane except during a particularly mild winter, but it hasn't seemed to stop things.

Cynthia

• lovetogarden
    8 years ago

Patty, that is a beautiful rose too. I love the form of the flowers. Just like tea roses. Do they have a scent? Carefree celebration has a very slight scent but at least it has a scent. That is a requirement for me for any rose I put in my garden. At this point though, my garden is full to the gills.

Thank you Jim for the info. I will burlap it and load the crown with mulch.

8 years ago

Yes, it is scented thou scent is stronger in cooler weather it seems. The heat index has been close to 100 for the past week so the blooms are opening fast. The cream is most noticeable when first opening and stands up so you can see the coral bottom. Then it fades to a darker coral.

Looks like I'm going to get Carefree Celebration next year. I've been convinced. As long as I plant in early spring. I never winter protect.

More blooms are open now. Sorry the photos are a bit fuzzy. The coral is stronger than it looks in my photos.

8 years ago

Not to dim the lights on Carefree Celebration as I am a fan of a rose with its qualities of being cold hardy and very disease resistant, but for those considering it you ought to look into Easy Does It and Livin' Easy, same sort of color except the color does not fade, have some fragrance, blooms are slightly larger. I just planted both in the spring and they have been blooming well, non-stop.

I can also add the new rose, Anna's Promise to that color scheme, as with the other two I just planted Anna's Promise in the spring, one in a pot and one in the ground, can't speak of winter hardiness yet for these but Anna's Promise gets blackspot badly unlike the other two I mentioned which have been black spot free for me. Oh and clearly Anna's Promise hates to be in a pot, the potted one is in a huge whisky barrell, has been kept well hydrated but practically shut down blooming when the summer began. It took off faster than the one in the ground in the spring but now the one in the ground has been blooming non-stop through the summer.

8 years ago

I tried Livin Easy but it blackspotted bad here... I did plant Easy Does it this year. It has done well its first season...

Patty, what's that red rose in back of Fire Opal? Next year I'm thinking about trying red Kardinal Kolarscape, Plum Perfect, and maybe Fire Opal... I was only going to add CC but I think I'll add a few more...

Patty, Fire Opal... Do all those white blooms stay white or all fade to coral??? Thanks!

8 years ago

I guess I'm a cruisin for a brusin. Or just plain stubborn. I got an own root Livin Easy this spring. In the last 20 years or so I've had this rose 3 other times. Twice own root once grafted each time they did not do well. I swear this is the last time. Oh and it does have black spot already.

Jim the red rose is Kardinal Kolorscape all but one is the kardinal the other is Home Run. I actually like Home Run better. Its got a bigger flower both always have flowers. In the heat the Kardinals flowers got really small. It will also get anthacnose if thats a problem in your area.

In my photo it is showing as white but is creamy colored. They all fade to coral. It is a darker coral but can't get photo to load at the moment.

file://localhost/Users/patriciawallace/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Masters/2015/09/07/20150907-125659/100_1426.JPG

8 years ago

Plum Perfect is a wonderful rose! Beautiful color, healthy. Its done really well for me and I am getting more when I go to Chamblees this week.

Judith

8 years ago

Patty, Livin Easy does real well in some locations maybe LE will like your climate....Here LE got severe BS and anthacnose.... Crap shoot! lol

I could not get that link to work Patty...

Thanks for info on Plum Perfect alameda! I'm getting Plum Perfect and Carefree Celebration for sure next year...

I'd like to find a real disease resistant double deep red bloom maybe 3" wide or slightly less and 3' X 3' size bush...

8 years ago

Try again for better pic. They have already started the color change in this stifling humidity.

One of the Kardinal

Happy to hear about Plum Perfect. Getting it from Chamblees in spring

8 years ago

How small do Kardinals blooms get Patty? I have D. Knockout and I'm ok with there 2"- 3" blooms.... I think CC blooms average 2.5" in size also...

8 years ago

Went out to measure and all of them in that area have blooms 2.5". The few up by the deck went down to 1.5" in the worst of the heat. The bushes you saw are very lucky if they get 5 hours of direct sun. Water was scarce out that way as there are clematis behind them (nearly dead from no rain). They were also surrounded by daylilies until I removed them to make a full coral salmon bed of roses. Yet they did much better than the ones by the house that were more pampered. Go Figure!

8 years ago

I like that Fire Opal too so probably will get it next year also along with Kardinal and plum perfect...And CC... Gee...lol

Thanks Patty...

8 years ago

Braverichard...Thanks for the other plant suggestions. I do have LE and ED. Easy Does It is a good plant here. Planning on getting another this spring.

• lovetogarden
    8 years ago

braverichard, the roses you mentioned, LE & EDI are florabundas, aren't they? I no longer waste money or space on something I don't have any luck growing. They are beautiful though. I have lots of luck with the Carefrees. Have 2 different varieties (forgot what they are) in a flower bed and they do terrifically all summer. Both are lightly scented. One is a light pink and the other a deeper pink. I happen to like the fact that the flowers fade on CC. It's like a kaladescope of colors in shades of coral. I think it is a very pretty effect.

• lovetogarden
    8 years ago

Jim, look into the Candian Explorer Series and the Canadian Parkland Series. My mother grew almost every rose from the series on her 8 acre garden and she swore they were the easiest roses she ever grew (along with her rugusas). I believe there is a rose or two that might fit the bill for you. As I recall Hope for Humanity was an absolute show stopper of deep red double blooms. It also didn't get larger than 4' X 4' in her northern garden 4a). Here's a link that might be helpful - http://www.midwestgardentips.com/explorer_roses.html

8 years ago

Patty, I forgot to ask...What size does Fire Opal and Kardinal get? Thanks!

8 years ago

Jim, The Kardinal looks as though will be a 3-3.5 x 3' more with age. Don't think it would ever get taller than 4'. Good strong canes grows like Home Run.

Fire Opal is a first year plant so I'm guessing here. I bet this shrub will be larger like at least 4' maybe 5'. Also looks to be bushy as in a full look. I'm trying to think something that it resembles. Is it Diane that has those to die for Julia Childs. Thats what it reminds be of but shorter.

8 years ago

Just wondering because Korde site list Fire Opal as 2.5 ft high and 1.5ft wide and Kardinal at 3-4ft high and 2-3' wide....

http://newflora.com/product/fire-opal-kolorscape-rose/

I'll be placing Fire Opal, Kardinal, and Plum Perfect in the same bed so was wondering in which order to plant them and how far apart......Probably 3ft centers???

7 years ago

Back to this thread... for those who have Carefree Celebration... nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska I'm look at you - is it self cleaning like the Knock Outs and keeps blooming without dead heading?

7 years ago

Uhoh, Braverichard is watching! Guess I'd better respond (smile). My Carefree Celebration is about as far from self cleaning as it's possible in my experience to be. Even halfway through the normal lifespan of the bloom, the bright coral fades to a deeply paper bag dead look and it looks just awful if not pretty consistently deadheaded in my opinion. Here's a photo that shows this effect pretty clearly. The taller clear fluffy apricot is Sweet Fragrance, who isn't self cleaning but doesn't look ratty when the petals fall off (and they do fall off by themselves, but the center still needs popping off by hand). The bundle of dark coral and parchment blooms to the left of it is Carefree Celebration, and in a good year this is what it looks like at least half the time.

The good news is that deadheading or not doesn't really seem to deter it, but I frankly couldn't abide this look in the kind of public spot you're considering for a planting. In contrast, as long as I mention Sweet Fragrance here's what the blooms look like once the petals fall off (not completely fallen off yet at left). It's the kind of situation where you could leave this alone indefinitely, since I've never seen her set hips, but you'd eventually want to trim these back once a month or so.

As I mentioned in another thread, I really like Sweet Fragrance so I admit to being biased here. I do have to say though that Carefree Celebration doesn't sound like what you're looking for as self cleaning.

Cynthia

7 years ago

Thank you so much Cynthia, ugh, I agree, Carefree Celebration will not do, I guess the ability to cleanly drop petals once spent and keep blooming (basically not setting hips) is hard to breed as we don't really have many roses that can do that.

I certainly like the bigger blooms of Sweet Fragrance! That your Carefree Celebration over there looks like too much foliage compared to blooms. Must be because the blooms are so tiny.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!