Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

Ketchup and Mustard in bloom?

harmonyp
12 years ago

I have been seeing Ketchup and Mustard for sale, EVERYWHERE! I think my local Armstrong ordered more of this single variety than of the rest of their entire stock of other roses. Must have thought it was going to go like a house on fire (well, might actually look like that).

I really love colorful roses, but just couldn't bring myself to buy one. The name itself is a little less than palatable (sorry!), and it just really seems like the two colors would violently clash.

So - curious from anyone who has it, or has seen it in full bloom. What do you think?

Comments (32)

• User
    12 years ago

Grief, it is an AWFUL name, isn't it? I also like a bit of gaudy but this rose does not float my boat at all.

• kathy9norcal
    12 years ago

I love gaudy roses but can't stomach the name of this one. What were they thinking? I have spent much of my time in California saying I can't stand ketchup and mustard together, as they never mixed them together in NY where I grew up (as they do in California!)
    If I had to have this rose, I would surely rename it.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

The doesn't bother me. Most of my roses I don't buy for the names but for the blooms. I have bought a few just because of the name but never refused to buy a beautiful one for that reason alone. However, even though I love roses with contrasting reverses, this one doesn't seem to do anything for me. I admit I've only seen it in pictures so maybe in person this spring it will look better. The form in the photos looks beautiful but the colors look muddy to me.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

I think it's a super-pretty variety, and the name cracks me up!

Here is a link that might be useful: photo of Ketchup & Mustard

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I took this photo at Roger's last year. The color contrast is probably dramatic in cool, overcast weather, but in a pot on asphalt, it came off as a floribunda rose with chlorotic foliage and a lot of small red flowers.

{{gwi:236587}}

• nastarana
    12 years ago

There are alternatives for us who like the red/yellow bicolor combination.

Vintage is offering a HT called Coronado, which has similar, but much prettier in pix, colors. I probably should not try it, but it ought to flourish in CA.

I am taking a chance on Flaming Peace. FP almost disappeared from commerce, but now is being offered by at least two nurseries.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

The name and the colors on it do nothing for me. I love my Gypsy Carnival which is red with yellow reverses, but it seems much more dynamic and attractive than Ketchup and Mustard.

Kate

• JessicaBe
    12 years ago

Its a pretty rose but really Ketchup & Mustard... at least it doesn't smell like it :)

• wirosarian_z4b_WI
    12 years ago

nastara---I planted a 'Flaming Peace' from Palatine last year & I agree, it looks like a HT version of 'K&M'. The one thing I don't like about 'FP' is that the blooms are very short lived.

{{gwi:236589}}

• kasiec
    12 years ago

I really love this rose. So much that I had to run out and get a second one. I have a miniature rose call Glowing Amber that to me, resemble Ketchup and Mustard in colors.

• rosetom
    12 years ago

Forty-niner is a wonderful red and yellow reverse hybrid tea. I had one about 20 years ago. Unfortunately, it's entered into the President Herbert Hoover territory of rare roses.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    12 years ago

I have 'Flaming Peace' and it's quite spectacular, but as wirosarian said, the flowers are very short-lived.

{{gwi:236591}}

• flaurabunda
    12 years ago

I ordered Kleopatra instead & it went in the ground yesterday. I didn't do any sort of compare & contrast on the two, but have to admit that the advertising for Ketchup & Mustard stoked my interest in the red/yellow combo.

• bethnorcal9
    12 years ago

I just got KETCHUP & MUSTARD a few weeks ago. Can't wait to see it bloom. As for FLAMING PEACE, I don't find that the bloom's are that short lived. But it does change color with the temps. In cooler temps it can take on a purplish shade.

{{gwi:236592}}
    Warm temps:
    {{gwi:236593}}

• kstrong
    12 years ago

The difference between Ketchup and Mustard and all of the red/yellow older hybrid teas is two things.
    First -- the older yellow reversed red hybrid teas are ALL mildew magnets here -- I have grown them all, at one time or another because I have liked what other people refer to as "garish" color combos forever.
    Second, none of them blooms very often. I still grow Flaming Peace, Pompeii, and Canadian Sunset but none of them holds a candle to K&M. K&M is just a much better rose. If you don't like the name, then name it something else in your garden.

There are so many other things to look at in choosing a rose, other than just "what color is it." Ketchup & Mustard is BY FAR the best rose to come along in this color combo, ever. Period.

• nastarana
    12 years ago

Gypsy Carnival seems prettier to me, in pix, than K&M, and also is being grown and even sold in Russia, which suggests some hardiness.

I reserve the same right to dislike too cute, catchy names as others do for unpronounciable French or German names.

Coronado looks beautiful in pix also, but is probably best left to warm climate growers. I do hope someone does see fit to preserve it.

• C Schaffner
    12 years ago

Ketchup and mustard does really well for me. I love the wild colors, but then I love all the wild ones.

{{gwi:236595}}

• melissa_thefarm
    12 years ago

That's what I used to call some really vilely colored variegated tulips I had: I thought of them as my MacDonalds tulips. Some of the photos here show this rose with beautiful colors, and I think it's a shame it got such an ugly name. I can handle some gaudiness in the garden. I used to have parrot tulips that reminded me of Chagall's circus paintings, and I'm quite fond of fluorescent roses, though they don't suit my current gardening conditions. But ugly names are a burden forever, and certainly discourage me from even thinking about getting the plant they're tacked onto.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Unless you exhibit and have to have the correct registered name, if you really love the rose just buy it and call it what you like. Who will know or care? Or call it by its patent name, Wekzazette. I kind of like zazette, they should have stuck with that!

• ilovemyroses
    12 years ago

pelicanhead. WHAT a lovely picture and rose!! oh, i had no hopes for this, based on the name, but that is elegant. not what i expected!!

• harmonyp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

So pelicanhead, is that photo depicting the exception or the norm of what the blooms look like. Because that photo is just gorgeous and if the blooms looked that good on a regular basis, I'd try it.

• C Schaffner
    11 years ago

Harmonyp, this is a normal bloom. I am finding that these blooms are very long lasting. It is turning out to be a great rose, no rust or mildew yet, and long lasting.

• rosefolly
    11 years ago

Zazette is a great name. Maybe they'll rename it.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

I like it. I hope mine does well. So far it looks like the flowers will hold up in our heat which we have been having. The colors are bright and clear, more so than the slightly subdued Kleopatra, and it looks like the flowers are well-formed. Mine is in my pot ghetto at the moment along with Walking On Sunshine and Sunshine Daydream awaiting a ground spot assignment.

• jewelie6
    11 years ago

The first bloom on my Ketchup and Mustard opened this morning. I am pretty pleased. The yellow is evident, but it was hard for me to catch on camera.

{{gwi:236596}}

{{gwi:236597}}

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Pretty as a picture!

• Alisa Burroughs
    8 years ago

I just planted this and it is bloom. Beautiful flowers and so far so good in very hot conditions. Reminds me of a peace on fire. But color doesn't fade in the heat. Which my peace do

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    8 years ago

Great color combo!

• Katie
    8 years ago

The name is quite funny! They could have named it Wine & Cheese.

Haven't grown it, but have seen it for sale, quite a dramatic rose. I'm not fond of red roses in general though with the exception of Mr. Lincoln, due to the fragrance.

Thanks to all who posted photos!

• Jasminerose, California, USDA 9b/Sunset 18
    8 years ago

I saw two plants of Ketchup and Mustard in an open, no-spray garden home and absolutely everyone stopped to admire them. I took this shot of a ladybug (beetle). It wasn't the best example of a bloom, but that is why the ladybug was there.

• Melissa Struxness
    last year

My issue with it is that it dies not repeat for me. The colors actually surprisingly go well together just that it is not a rebloomer zone 9b in full