Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_mom

Suggestion for new rose garden/bed

rose_mom
10 years ago

I am planning a new rose bed along the fence in my back yard which receives about 6 to 7 hours of sun. I need suggestions for roses that do very well in this NC climate.

My main goal is to have fragrant to very fragrant cut roses (mainly HT and Grandiflora) but will also mix in couple of floribundas for show. I will also have one climber (America) in the back that I will train along the fence.

Could you please suggest names for fragrant roses that last longer in the vase and couple of the most productive floribundas? Please also include how many blooms I should expect per week from each HT rose you suggest.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

There are several fragrant roses that are good for cutting. A few are Double Delight, Tiffany, Firefighter, Buxom Beauty, Fragrant Plum, Perfume Delight, there are dozens. I would suggest that you have a few not so fragrant roses too. A couple of reds that come to mind that last good in the vase are Olympiad and Let Freedom Ring. I don't know how many roses you have in mind, but roses bloom in flushes, an average of about once a month for me, but if you have several varieties you should always have something blooming. The range of how many blooms varies, A few roses will be heavy bloomers the first year, but don't expect great bloom until the second or third year. Average number of blooms on a hybrid tea can be anywhere from about a dozen to 30 or more, usually some where in between. There are lots of good floribundas too, Love Song, a lavender and Sunsprite, a yellow are two of my favorites. I'm sure you'll get lots of good suggestions..

I'm not a great flower arranger, but a few of the roses in this arrangement are fragrant and they last good. Varieties include Tropicana, Fragrant Plum, Tiffany, Pink Peace, Chrysler Imperial, Double Delight, Belinda's Dream, a shrub and great cut rose, Sheila's Perfume, a floribunda and also a good cut rose.

• rose_mom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sara-Ann, thank you so much for your input and for sharing that lovely snap of your roses. They are amazing! I am dreaming to get blooms like those some day!

I am planning to get about 12 to 15 roses to get started with. I already got Mister Lincoln, Pink Peace, Chicago Peace, America (climber), Angel Face, radiant Perfume, Memoral Day and Grande Dam.

I had about 30 Knock out roses in my previous home and was happy with that. I am just getting started with HT and other varieties this year. I would greatly appreciate your suggestions and tips in planning the new rose bed.

Could you suggest some roses which have blooms about 6" or bigger? My mom loves big roses and I would like to gift her one this mother's day.

thank you!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Thank you so much RoseMom. I think you have made some good choices. There are several members on this forum who are probably much more knowledgeable than me, especially on the different varieties. I am hoping that Pat from Alabama and Lesley from Kentucky see this forum, because they are both closer to where you are and they have beautiful roses. I think there are several hybrid teas that the blooms can get rather large, Medallion, a lovely apricot comes to mind, but I don't know how vigorous it is. Surely you will get some input from others.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Hi Rose Mom!
    Sara Ann has given you some great advice and suggestions for good, fragrant, cutting roses, as well as, the ones you have already purchased. Of those, I grow Mr Lincoln, Grand Dame, Double Delight, Perfume Delight, Firefighter and Fragrant Plum. Fragrant Plum was new for me last year, so too soon to judge that one, but the others do very well for me here in North Alabama. As far as the biggest blooms on a fragrant HT, mine would probably be Dolly Parton, Rouge Royale and Peter Mayle. Fragrant Cloud and Big Momma also smell great and have pretty big blooms. Over the Moon has huge blooms, but fragrance is only moderateâ¦nice scent, but not overly strong. Good floribundas here for continuous blooms are Easy Going, Easy Does It, Livinâ Easy, Cinco de Mayo, Hot Cocoa, Passionate Kisses, White Licorice and Julia Childâ¦these are almost always covered in blooms in my garden. Scent is light to moderate with all of those except Julia Child and White Licoriceâ¦both are highly fragrant. The biggest issue with going from growing knockouts to growing HTs and floribundas in a humid climate is the difference in disease resistance. I believe your humidity level is similar to ours. Even knockouts will blackspot here, but not enough to require sprayingâ¦HTs are a different story, though. I do spray mine when needed to control blackspot, but there are many on this forum who are strongly opposed to it. You will want to research the spraying of fungicides and make a decision on this issue. If you want to grow your roses without the use of fungicides, your choices are going to be much more limited. Several of the floribundas I mentioned can be grown with little to no spray here, but all of these HTs would need at least occasional spraying.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here's a picture of a large rose of mine called Valencia. It's a fantastic rose. So far it has no scent - but it's supposed to. Sometimes my roses don't get scent until year four and then wow!! This is a rose I think would be great for your mom. There are lots of gorgeous roses on this plant. And the flowers last for weeks on the bush.
    Carol

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

Here's another picture of Valencia.
    Carol

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County