Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

In praise of shrubs

Hi folks

We have lots of threads celebrating various categories of roses - hybrid teas, floribundas, Austins, gallicas and other OGRs - but what about the poor neglected shrubs? Having a thread to pick the best "shrub" rose is a bit of a comedown for even the winners - it's like winning the Academy Award in "other" or an Olympic Medal in "miscellaneous". Ah, the blow to the dignity of roses in this category, to have no real identity beyond, well, a bush.

Maybe that's why we seem to create subcategories to characterize roses within this group. I'm going to leave Austins entirely out of this discussion (though most are technically "shrubs"), since they have an identity all their own eclipsing roses in almost any other category. I'll show you photos of my favorite shrub roses and invite everyone else to do the same. Let's give the poor neglected shrubs their due - in my yard they tend to be the workhorses on which the whole rest of the rose garden relies. Cold zoners in particular need to pay close attention to these roses as stellar performers under harsh conditions.

I'll start with the subcategory "Easy Elegance", the Ping Lim bulletproof varieties that are liable to rival the Knockouts and Austins for a justifiable place in the easy-care garden centers of the world. I love all 15 of mine, but my favorite hands down is Sweet Fragrance, 5 feet of delicious dark apricot disease free winter hardy - everything I could want except, well... fragrance. Not a bit of it that I can detect.

{{gwi:287731}}

Rivaling the Austins for insanely double and fragrance old-fashioned blooms are the Renaissance series by Poulsen, and Bonita Renaissance is a good example of the several in my yard. All have been floriforous, winter hardy and consequently fairly tall, and Bonita holds this nice apricot color in part shade pretty well.

{{gwi:301408}}

Then there's the Generosas - see how we seem to need to make high-falutin' names for our shrubs? Massad roses have been surprisingly hardy and disease resistant in my yard, and I planted the first three or four of them from Roses Unlimited on a whim from their sales without knowing much about them. For me, Versigny is a hauntingly beautiful mix of colors, fully double and lovely even past their prime as in these blooms. In general Massad roses are among the better survivors among roses from other breeders in my yard.

{{gwi:301409}}

Speaking of survivors, Explorer and Parkland shrubs are true friends to cold zone gardeners, laughing off the winters, growing tall and bushy, and putting out healthy roses all summer long without much care. My favorite of these is still my first, Champlain. I know this photo looks like it's sideways but it's not - all four feet of Champlain cane that sailed through the winters was being smashed horizontal this spring by an even larger Madame Alfred Carriere behind it.

{{gwi:301410}}

Can't mention tough heavy flowering hardy shrubs without mentioning another subcategory of shrubs - the Bardens! Yep, Paul Barden roses that I've grown have been as interesting and hardy as advertised, and I'm at 13 and counting of his roses so far (with hopefully many more to come). I haven't been able to catch as many of them on camera as I'd like, but here's a bloom of Dolly's Forever rose, complete with a little leftover rain in the petals.

{{gwi:301411}}

I do have to admit that my favorite breeder for the foreseeable future is still the Kordes family, because of the amazing variety of truly hardy, healthy, and eagerly blooming roses that are designed for our zone (sadly, most without much fragrance). There are several subcategories of Kordes shrubs that are named - the Verandas, the Fairy Tales, the Circus, the Balconias - I'll show Caramella as an example of the Fairy Tales to illustrate how lush those blooms tend to be. Notice at far right, even the honeybees are fans!

{{gwi:301412}}

A close favorite in breeders is the Delbard family, particularly the fantastic striped Painter series of roses. One of my all time top ten favorites is Edgar Degas below, but if you look through the thread circulating about striped roses you'll realize a surprising number of the really wonderful ones are "lowly" shrubs as well - Rockin' Robin, Wonderstripe, Stars 'n' Stripes, The Nightwatch, and many others. They may be anonymous, but they pack a punch!

{{gwi:284392}}

Of course when you think shrubs in northern zones, you have to think of Bucks. Here's Prairie Sunrise (the lighter apricot blooms in the middle), mingling with Carding Mill (the tallest apricot at back), Elizabeth Stuart (apricot falling off to the right) and Imagine (yellowish tones to the left) - as a matter of fact, all of these wonderful roses are actually shrubs! They're terrific survivors in my zone 4 pocket on the north side of my house. Oh yes, Folksinger - another terrific Buck shrub is sneaking in as the pale pink bush in the back. And the climber? Yep, you guessed it - Quadra, an Explorer shrub climber...

{{gwi:263707}}

But what about the shrubs who don't have a family to call their own? Well, here are some huge groundcover shrubs that can jolly well hold their own. David Barber below is apparently a little known Tantau shrub I got from Heirloom (there weren't any hmf pics so I posted some). He is 2 feet tall and easily 4 feet wide and I've caught his branches getting fresh with the neighboring rose ladies, so I prune him back unmercifully periodically. He blooms nonstop, though a little untidily since he's impossible to deadhead fast enough to do any more than crunch the majority of the dead petals out of a cluster.

{{gwi:301413}}

Fortunately just to his right is a lady who can keep him in check and is every bit his match - the shrub Red Ribbons. She's also a healthy hardy low wide spreader that blooms all season, and I'm sure I saw her pinch David back and give him what-for. OK, I'm sneaking in another Kordes, but they're all over my yard...

{{gwi:301414}}

And let's not forget the single shrubs! Here's Watercolors, who along with Paul Ecke Jr. taught me to truly love the elegance and dramatic impact of singles.

{{gwi:301415}}

So what about the awards, you say, assuming you've made it this far in this very long thread. You can propose your own candidates "best shrub", but here are the awards for my yard:

Third place: Lady Elsie May. She's one of three absolutely reliable constantly blooming roses in my yard, and those three (LEM, Smiling Jean, and Bad Worishofen) were quite literally the only things blooming most of the last drought year. I reluctantly love Lady Elsie May. Why reluctantly you ask? She's not at all the apricot I thought I was planting, but a screaming neon coral that Does Not Play Nicely with Others, she's a rather gangly bush, and her semidouble flowers are practically single (I know - oh, the horror). But she earns a place of respect and honor in my shrub awards for sheer determination, health, hardiness, and curb appeal. I'm now glad she's planted by the front door, although initially I thought I'd make a dreadful mistake against the brick color you can see behind her.

{{gwi:301416}}

Second Place: Meilland Decor Arlequin. On any given day, this one might steal first place in my heart, since it's a wonderfully mutable and intensely saturated collection of hot pink, apricot, creamy yellow, with each bloom a slightly different combination. It's at least 4-5 feet tall without much if any winter dieback, and blooms consistently through the heat of summer with little BS problem in my yard.

{{gwi:301417}}

First Place: Heart 'n' Soul. It was a tough decision, but I'm a sucker for those high contrast picotee blooms, and the dark evergreen healthy leaves just set off the blooms in ways that make my little heart flutter. It's covered in these high contrast blooms off and on all summer, with a pretty fast repeat, and is reliably hardy and healthy without question. To make it even better, this is planted right next to Meilland Decor Arlequin, so they can trade off being stars of the backyard at will, and they play surprisingly well with each other (that is, if you like rose chaos).
{{gwi:301418}}

OK, enough already from me and my yard - I want to be tempted by your candidates for "Best shrub"! Let's hear your stories and see your photos and give these unsung heroes their day in the sun!

Cynthia

Comments (33)

• roseseek
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Very nice, Cynthia. Ironic Heart 'n' Soul is half Iceberg, isn't it? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Heart 'n' Soul

• roseseek
    10 years ago

"Shrublet" was Week's term for own root, shrubby rose. Kim

• sandandsun
    10 years ago

Nippstress,

I hope that you will accept a different award - my personal award for one of the Top 10 posts/Thread starts I've read here in recent years. In all probability, it would also win the Top 5 award, but please accept my personal Top 10 best award.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Fantastic pics! :)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I was looking at your pics again, Cynthia, and I want you to know how much I admire that pastel combination of Prairie Sunrise (lighter apricot), Carding Mill (apricot), Elizabeth Stuart (apricot) and Imagine (yellowish ) and Folksinger (pale pink). Wish I had an open spot for 5 new roses--I'd copy that subtle combination of pastels in a minute!

Kate

• jerijen
    10 years ago

Let me put in a vote for 'Bishop Darlington,' a 1928 introduction from Capt. Thomas

I love the shades of apricot offered by the bloom, with its brilliant stamens and its touch of red at the stigma.

The plant is huge here -- tolerates firm pruning, and blooms like crazy, repeatedly through the year.

Jeri

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Some of my favorite roses are shrub roses. I have several of the Buck roses which are wonderful repeaters, fairly healthy and very hardy.

Country Music
    {{gwi:301420}}

Quietness, one of my very most favorites!
    {{gwi:301421}}

Rural Rhythm
    {{gwi:301422}}

Winter Sunset, another fav of mine.
    {{gwi:301423}}

A few other shrubs I have by other breeders.

Ruffled Cloud
    {{gwi:301424}}

Appleblossom Flower Carpet
    {{gwi:301425}}

Home Run, I like much better than KO
    {{gwi:301426}}

And of course, Knock Out!
    {{gwi:301427}}

Shrubs are very good work horses that keep a constant flow of color around the garden for me.

• User
    10 years ago

What a treat to see the pictures and read the posts!

Cynthia -- what is the disease pressure like where you garden? I saw that the foliage seems spotless. Do you have to contend with black spot?

• floridarosez9 Morgan
    10 years ago

Great thread. I'm enjoying all the wonderful pics.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Seil, thank you for reminding me of the obvious--my KO and Home Run are also shrubs, aren't they! but your HR looks better than mine, according to your pic.

That Appleblossom pic is fine, seil--I really like it.

Kate

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Absolutely love my Outta the Blue shrub. And my Drift roses offer non stop color on a small, well behaved bush.

Outta the Blue

{{gwi:301428}}

{{gwi:301429}}

Coral Drift

{{gwi:301430}}

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

Great thread, I love all of the pictures so far!

I have to be honest though, I've never been particularly certain on where the 'shrub' class begins and ends. So I apologize if any of my picks are not technically shrub roses...

Julia Child gets first place is my garden, I love the color, form, and healthy green foliage.
    {{gwi:301431}}

Betty Boop takes second, love the dark picotee and the rapid rebloom.
    {{gwi:243975}}

And I seem to remember Autumn Sunset being listed as 'climber/shrub' when I got it, once again it's the healthy foliage and color that stole my heart. I also love the fragrance on this one.
    {{gwi:301432}}

In the runner up category I have to mention Bishop Darlington, he's still young in my garden and may take first once he gets a bit more established. Buff Beauty is another great hybrid musk that deserves praise. And I'm loving Anthony Meilland, Vavoom, Kirsten Poulsen, Korde's Brilliant, and Playboy in the 'hot colored' shrub rose bed next to my veggy garden. Other than watering and weeding I haven't been able to give them any care, despite that they keep pushing out new blooms and their bright colors draw the eye from all the way across the yard.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What fun - thanks for playing and chiming in with your favorites!

Kate - that Braveheart is to die for, and you've now just convinced me to give it another try in my yard. It has failed to overwinter twice now for me, but if mine can look anything like as nice as yours it deserves a new start in prime real estate. Glad you like the color combination of the apricots and that's encouraging to hear! This is one of the only beds I tried to keep a consistent set of colors - apricot, burgundy, and white - but apricots are so variable they don't really look as consistent as I had in mind. I keep looking at the yellowish tones of Imagine and thinking it clashes just a little. Fortunately it's at the end of the row, and there's a mutation of color from the screaming coral of LEM to the yellows of Imagine that works, as long as they're not next to each other.

Kim - very interesting that Heart 'n' Soul has iceberg ancestry! I can see that in the pure white at the base, but they're opposites in my yard for staying power. Iceberg blows like a soap bubble and Heart 'n' Soul hangs onto blooms that can dry to potpourri on the bush if I let them. What in its heritage gives it that substance (and disease resistance)?

Glad you all like the pictures Jim, Floridarose. Sandandsun, I appreciate your kind suggestion of an award, and I did have fun picking out the pictures and trying to tell their stories! Fortunately everyone else has been chiming in with favorites too, since I love being enabled for new roses to plant next year.

Jeri - oooh, that Bishop Darlington is just lovely and your backlit photo on HMF gives it a haunting quality. It sounds like it's hardy to zone 5 and with hybrid musk in its history it might just be perfect for a big spot in a part-shade spot that has mostly traditional looking roses. See - I love learning about new roses I hadn't considered before!

Seil - great shots of the year-round bloomers with some terrific Buck and Appleblossom shots. I have Double Knockout in a different bed and it's easy to love roses that work so hard to bloom, even if a lot of other people love them too. I hadn't realized that Country Music had that wonderful dark reverse, and that one may have to join my "pink" bed. Being a fan of folk music and dance, as well as living on the Prairie, I love the names Buck chose for his roses too.

Farmerduck, the reason the leaves look so good in these photos is that they were from the spring flush in June, when blackspot pressure hadn't hit yet. We get a fair bit of various strains of blackspot, and some of my more susceptible bushes are completely defoliated. Still, I suspect you folks have it worse on the east coast, since our heat is dry, particularly this year - no rain at all in July, though we're hoping for some this evening.

Pat_bama, that is one FINE looking Outta the Blue, and I'm showing your picture to my bush hoping it gets the message and gets a little more energetic. I agree that the Drift roses are another great category of shrubs that are hardy, floriforous,and trouble free.

I know what you mean Peachymomo, I had to double check several of mine to see if they technically fit the category to get things started on the thread, but in my world any trouble free hardy blooming fool of a rose is welcome as an honorary shrub if needed. Your picture of Betty Boop is a great selling point to convince me to try that one - how tall is yours? If it gets to 4-5 feet, it could hang out with Watercolors in a nearby space. I agree that having a "hot colors" bed is a fun way to show off the brilliant types of roses you mention, and it's always a cheerful spot of the yard.

Thanks for chiming in. Keep 'em coming folks - I haven't put in my order for next year yet, so I'm all set to be enabled further!

Cynthia

• roseseek
    10 years ago

I'd think it would have to be Tamango, Cynthia. You know what Iceberg does for you, so it would have to be the combination with Tamago.

Tamango has an interesting lineage, including Mutabilis behind it. Interestingly, the only seedling so far from Heart 'n' Soul is Stormy Weather, from the same breeder. Kim

• susan4952
    10 years ago

Soooooo pretty! Don't you just love summer!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

For my climate, few are performing as reliably as some of my own seedlings. Carlin's Rhythm never misses a beat and never experiences any fungal issues. {{gwi:301433}}

Normally, I would include Lynnie for her cast iron constitution and continuous bloom...
    {{gwi:301434}}
    but, she's otherwise occupied at the moment and not pushing new flowers. Less full flowers don't last as long per flower as heavily petaled ones, but they take much less heat, light, time and other resources to be created; they open more easily in less than ideal conditions and they repeat significantly faster. Kim
    {{gwi:301435}}

• peachymomo
    10 years ago

I would guess that my Betty Boop is about 4.5' tall, but I'd have to measure to be sure.

Kim, Carlin's Rhythm is lovely, I want one!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thanks, Peachy! RVR lists it in stock as a band. Linked below. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlin's Rhythm at RVR

• chardie
    10 years ago

I was just thinking how much I love my Elsie May and why no one seems to know about her. I was told on a garden tour that I must get this rose, and I did. It never stops blooming profusely, which in eastern CT is some feat. It is a bright color but when the garden is fading, like now due to all the heat and humidity, it's a lovely bright spot. I like it better than my Knockouts. The Fairies take a breather between flushes, but not Elsie. The Grootendorst rugosa blooms a lot as well but the thorns are killers.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Cynthia, I hope Braveheart works for you this time. It is such a gorgeous red shrub and it is supposed to be hardy through zone 5--so it should work.

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous pics everyone! I'll have to go look thru mine and see what I can post. (I'm at work now)

Cynthia, your garden is beautiful! And your roses look so healthy and happy.

Seil, my WINTER SUNSET never looks as good as yours!!! That's positively yummy!!

• donaldvancouver
    10 years ago

I really enjoyed this post. Nippstress, do you blog? Because I would read it.
    It's wonderful to see the diversity of shrub roses celebrated. I really had no idea there were so many- I'm mostly familiar with the Zone 3 shrubs and have never seen many of these.
    Thanks!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the extra info, folks, and I'm definitely primed and ready to convince Braveheart to survive, Kate. Betty Boop does sound like the right height, peachymomo, so that can fill one of the taller rose spots near Watercolors, and ooh, ooh, put Carlin's Rhythm on the other side! Kim - I presume this one has some height on it from the picture you show (or is that just California). Either way it's a lovely rose and one to be proud of. Thanks for the info on Tamango - it's interesting that the cross of two fairly undramatic roses like that and Iceberg could have the wow impact of Heart 'n' Soul, and then produce the dark beauty of Stormy Weather as a grandchild - part of the fun of breeding I'm sure, but given the work you've obviously done to mark your crosses on the rose hips it puts the idea of "fun" into a different light.

Chardie, you definitely got some great advice on Lady Elsie May and she's repaid you well in blooms! I agree that she really doesn't rest and earns her keep.

Beth, I await with baited breath the intriguing shrubs that I'm sure you have in your yard.

And Donald, I am very glad that you enjoy my nattering on about roses enough to want more of it, but I'm such a technology dinosaur the very idea of a blog makes me put my hands over my ears going "lalala". Besides, the main time I put out much writing is usually when I'm supposed to be doing something else, so I wouldn't want the obligations of a blog - I'll enjoy the ones by Paul Zimmerman and Sherry and others and just chime in here now and then.

Cynthia

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Thank you, Cynthia! Size is difficult to guess or know, until more plants are grown in more climates. RVR lists Carlin's Rhythm as 3' - 4'. I don't know if that's their observation or repetition of what they've read. The roses are always changing the rules! I'd never seen Lynnie get huge, until Lyn G's Lynnie hit nearly six feet! Lynnie is mini X Basye's Legacy. Carlin's Rhythm is floribunda X Basye's Legacy, so who knows? A lot will have to do with the soil, water, light and climate. My soil isn't as moisture retentive; the sun is brutal so the plants never have to reach for it and the intensity is so great, it actually dwarfs them a bit; but "winter" doesn't slow them down a bit, so the sizes in my garden may, or may not be what should be expected elsewhere. Lyn's soil retains more moisture. Her heat is as brutal, if not a bit more so, and she receives much more rain than I do, but she actually gets snow which can remain on the plants and ground long enough to inhibit and even break plants. I never get snow, period. Trying to figure out how something is going to respond to other conditions requires a very large, very sharp crystal ball! Kim

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks, Beth. WS doesn't always get that pink blush to it but I love it when it does!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Aha, Kim - that's why those of us in a variety of zones need to be growing Carlin's Rhythm, and Lynnie, and Annie Laurie McDowell, and posting the results on hmf so we'll know more for sure across different climates! Thanks for the detailed info. I've already tried ALM once in a less than ideal spot, and I have her on my priority list from Burling for next year, probably with Lynnie as well. If Carlin's Rhythm is slated for 3-4 feet, I doubt mine would be a monster. I'll have to work out a spot closer to the front of the border for her (which of course she richly deserves!).

Cynthia

• roseseek
    10 years ago

That would be lovely Cynthia. It's not always easy to keep things in production...Kim

Original Author
    10 years ago

Windeaux in a recent thread asked me to post about my success stories, so being an essentially lazy gardener I went back and resurrected this one. Hey, we're gardeners- we're all about recycling and renewal and all that, right? Besides, it's getting towards the fall/winter order season for all of us in cold zones so I need some more enabling of roses on my drool list. I already have Bishop Darlington, Betty Boop, Carlin's Rhythm and Braveheart on my plans (along with an embarrassingly long wish list), but as we all know you can never have too many roses, though you can have too little space.

Cynthia

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

A great thread to resurrect.

Quote from Nippstress:

"They're terrific survivors in my zone 4 pocket on the north side of my house. "

What kind of sunlight do they get there? Does this mean they are doing well with less than optimal light?

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, trovesoftrilliums (I like your nickname) - that's an interesting question. I've always referred to that bed as survivors because of the clear cold pocket they have to survive, but now that I think of it they probably get fewer hours direct sunlight than other parts of the yard. I have two Queen of Sweden bushes, one in this zone 4 pocket and one on the zone 6 pocket at the sunny side of the backyard, both grafted from David Austin and planted the same year in the same way. The one in the sunny spot immediately sprang up to its usual 6 foot pillar and is a fairly regular rebloomer through the season. The one in the zone 4 pocket was under 3 feet for at least three or four years, and is only now looking as good as the other bush. My Teasing Georgia in this zone 4 pocket blooms notably more than one in a part shade spot in another bed, so I expect they at least get 4 or 5 hours of sun in this spot.

In answer to your fundamental question, though, yes - I think many of these shrubs can do well with less than optimal light, but they're not the particularly shade tolerant bushes like Darlow's Enigma or all of the hybrid musks are for me. Like any other rose, it's happier in more sun and will respond with more blooms, but the Easy Elegance roses in particular seem to thrive in a wide variety of conditions.

Cynthia

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

Such beautiful roses! Please keep them coming. They just make my day.

• trovesoftrilliums
    10 years ago

Thank you Cynthia for the details.

I am pretty new to gardening in zone 5 and roses in general. Your pictures compel me to give them a try here. Such lovely rose chaos. :)