Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newhomeownerny

scentimental question

newhomeownerNY
10 years ago

i planted scentimental, julia childs, and fragrant plum roses this past spring. The JC and FP roses are thriving, smell beautiful, and i am so happy to have them. The scentimental roses, however, aren't doing as well as the others. The 2 plants are both growing, but the buds are extremely small and the flowers are also extremely small and do not look healthy when in bloom. what could cause this problem?

Comments (8)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    10 years ago

Are the edges of the petals brown? Take a flower and shake it over a piece of white paper and look for tiny brown bugs--Thrips.

Another idea--it could be the FP and JC roses have better root systems and have settled in faster than 'Scentimental'. See if you get improvement in the cooler weather of Autumn. FP, JC, and 'Scentimental' are all in the same amount of sun and in the same soil? All getting the same amount of water?

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

It might be the Scentimental plant that is the problem. I tried it once on my garden--it never flourished there, blooms shattered in less than a day, had blackspot problems, etc. After two years, I put it out for adoption. Let someone else fuss over it. I was sick and tired of it!

And I didnt' this the blooms were that attractive either.

Kate

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Scentimental was a truly terrible rose for me its first year. Stayed defoliated for most of the summer, rarely bloomed and when it did, the blooms were small with no detectable fragrance. It improved by leaps and bounds its second year and has done very well here since. It found its scent that second year, too. Now big, fragrant blooms cover it most of the growing season. It has never defoliated again since that first year, but I do spray. It is susceptible to blackspot, so if you are in a humid climate like ours, it won't do well without spraying. I'm sure it's very dependent on region, but here in my Alabama garden, it is a great rose. It's my favorite striped rose and one of my all time favorite roses in general.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Forgot to mention the Scentimental, JC, FP color combination sounds just lovely! I have 2 Julia Childs and a FP growing along my front walk with some other yellows and lavenders, but never thought about adding a striped there. Post pics sometime...would love to see them together.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

Scentimental reacts very badly to heat. It is the only rose I've grown that I can say that about, but the flowers turn positively miniscule when it gets hot.

It was also a very strange rose when it was new in that there seemed to be 'good' ones and 'bad' ones, and nobody ever managed to figure out what the difference was. Often there are superior sources, or climates a rose likes, but there were no discernable patterns to Scentimental.

• newhomeownerNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses! Once it buds again I will shake it out and check for bugs. All 3 varieties are planted in the same bed, directly off of our back patio to provide color and smell. Pat- your scentimental is beautiful!! What do you spray your bush with? How often? I hope they do much better next year or the year after!

• Holly Kline
    10 years ago

I also found that first year, it seemed to do a lot of nothing and the flowers were weak in the stem, though fragrant for me. The second and third years have been wonderful, and I'm glad I nurtured her along. Black spot is a problem, so keep her airy and be vigilant; I also feel like she benefits from working crushed eggshells into the soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Striped Rose Diaries

• ratdogheads z5b NH
    10 years ago

I've planted Scentimental twice. The first one was much like many described, with blooms shattering very quickly. I had it for three summers and it was never all that great. I lost it to an accident and replaced it in same location (Glutton for punishment? I really wanted a striped rose in that spot!).

The new plant seemed a weakling for the first year and also the blooms shattered quickly. This second year it's a redeemed itself proudly. More blooms, all around nicer color and striping, and best of all they last a good long time. Right now it has a couple fine clusters holding up well to humid, 90+ heat. The bush is somewhat small but healthy and well formed.

Funny thing is I never found either one to be all the fragrant.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm