Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coop7415

Good orange rose?

coop7415
10 years ago

Looking for a good orange rose does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (29)

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Coop, post your city and state so respondents from your area can answer your question. There are five, different types of black spot in the US. No one rose resists all of them and all roses are susceptible to at least two of the types. Knowing where you are allows people living near you to make appropriate suggestions. What is healthy in California is likely to be a leper in North Carolina and vice versa. Kim

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Kim is right...I adore Lady Emma Hamilton and it's "Sunny Delight" orange...but is known to get blackspot for some people. I fight powdery mildew where I live and it gets none...go figure. It also doesn't have classic hybrid tea form if that's whst you're after.
    If you don't mind a touch of coral in your orange then I am probably Folklore's #1 fan. It's outstanding. Gitte (Peach Melba) is also really nice... but there are others I don't have that I'm sure members can suggest.

• racin_rose
    10 years ago

Double posted...oops!

This post was edited by racin_rose on Tue, Aug 27, 13 at 17:47

• coop7415
    Original Author
    10 years ago

NW Oklahoma

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Coop - I live in north central Oklahoma. I would totally agree with racin_rose about Folklore, it is really a good rose, very prolific for me, vigorous and lovely. I just got a floribunda, Easy Does It, seems like it is going to be a good one. I have grown Tropicana a long time. It has been disease resistant for me, has been very dependable. I know the color doesn't appeal to some, but I like it. Cl. America is more of a coral orange, it is lovely. I think it is somewhat blackspot prone and it might take a while to get established. I Have included a picture of Easy Does It.

• windeaux
    10 years ago

If you're looking for a Hybrid Tea, check-out 'Cary Grant'. IMO, it's tops for a saturated deep orange with beautiful form and good repeat.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Here in Z7 Alabama, the HTs Chris Evert and Voodoo do well for me, and the floribunda Livin' Easy. I spray, so I can't attest to their disease resistance, but they are prolific bloomers and their blooms hold up well to the heat and humidity. One I absolutely would NOT recommend is Gingersnap if you are in a hot, humid climate. Beautiful orange blooms on an truly terrible, troublesome bush.

Chris Evert:

{{gwi:314386}}

Voodoo:

{{gwi:314387}}

{{gwi:314388}}

Livin' Easy:

{{gwi:314389}}

And Gingersnap pretending to be a good rose (don't let her fool you, though):

{{gwi:314390}}

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

I picked up a potted Peach Belle at Lowes a couple of years ago. Can't find out much about it, it's got a patent tag BAIpeach.

It's been a heck of a good rose--bushy, virtually everblooming, a saturated dark orangey peach color. Long lasting blooms with good form. But it has no scent--a big fault to me but it's been exceptional in every other way during a very rough time climate-wise.

Livin' Easy was a good floribunda for me in another climate. Softer form & color.

And don't have much info to share on this one, but I do have a band of Orangeade blooming now. Ordered it because of Kim's (Roseseek) comments on it's breeding interest.

Wow, what an intense, saturated ORANGE--I mean pomegranate bloom, shocking, eye-scalding, LOOKATME!!! OOOORRAANNGE. Kim says it has a reputation of passing color saturation to its offspring, IIRC

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Mmmmm...Orangeade! The plant I grow is an old breeding plant from Sequoia. I had given mine up in a move and asked if they had one propagated. It was toward the end of their run, so Carolyn walked down and picked up one of the production plants and handed it to me. That one holds special sentimental attraction for that.

It isn't without its faults, but it is outrageously fertile! It will set hips with any pollen. When I have something which simply refuses to work with anything else, it usually will with Orangeade. Ralph Moore got cresting to express itself with it. Stripes come through it, only more intensely, more saturated. It will often permit mossing to express itself in seedlings.

It roots well and grows very well own root, passing that to most of its offspring. Notice the color of the petal bases. Most roses have either white or yellow petal bases. Orangeade is from that line with lavender petal bases. This is the lavender Mr. Moore correctly theorized he could mine for his Halo Roses.

The hips are large, with many large seeds and seemingly every one germinates. Though it might have black spot issues in some climates, it's a wonderful rose to practice on because it is SO fertile and SO willing to germinate. A fun aside...McGredy reversed the cross he used to make Orangeade and released Sherry from it. Sherry isn't as willing a rose as Orangeade, but it is an interesting orange-russet flower.

When my nephews were little, they wanted to "help" daddy carve the pumpkins into his versions of Jack'o Lanterns at Halloween. I would collect a bag of Orangeade and Cl. Winifred Coulter hips to take over for them to paint into their own small decorations. Both generated MANY, huge hips and that kept them satisfied for hours.

If you want a fun, really intense combination, plant Orangeade with Raven penstemon. That orange with "black light" purple stands up to the hottest, brightest sun without fading. I loved how Raven grew into and through Orangeade in the old garden. It may sound "strident" to some, but that was the combination people would always gravitate to on that hillside. Kim

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Welll, don't be so shy, Kim, just tell us if you LIKE it, harhar.

Yeah, THAT sort of neat breeder/insider info about it made me order a band from Vintage. It was the smallest band but I let them all bloom at least once to confirm I got the correct rose.

Don't think there's any doubt this baby is Orangeade.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Woo, that Raven penstemon IS pretty. Although if you ask me about colors I'd first say, well, I don't like harsh hot colors like ORANGE!, when I see them in nature, yeah, I DO like the effect.

We have some lovely cooler blue/lavender/grey plants & wildflowers, but the most abundant & prolific flowers are bright oranges & saturated yellows. I'm trying to save & cultivate the natives as I add roses & colors like Orangeade sparkle among bright wildflowers. I plant the softer OGRs with santolina, lavender & cenizo.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

It's all a matter of personal taste and all tastes are valid for those paying the bills. But, with the laser beam sunlight in hotter areas, "soft" colors go "beige" so blamed quickly, and you can't see them from the house, so you have to go OUT to really see they are anything but "beige". Saturated colors are native to hot, arid areas. Those are the pigments which last and attract the desert pollinators. Look at Hulthemia, "the most noxious weed in Iran." You know that sun is intense. That brilliant yellow flower with the dark center is a perfect target for whatever pimps its pollen. I can see those types from the cooler interior of the house and even when a bit fried, they're still bright and visible. Pastels are pretty, very soft and "feminine". They're just all monochromatic from a distance and "beige" in very short order in these conditions. Kim

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Boy, I have to agree with your assessment of hot colors in the intensely sunny and arid environment. I just had never thought of the pollinator connection--but of course! I relegate most of the soft pink, pale lavender, and peach roses to two beds with exceptions here and there. Fred Mistral looks like a faded out pink towel from a distance, but the closer you get the better he looks, and he is one of my top bouquet roses for the house. For me it's been mainly yellows, purples, wines, and even magenta, but I'm starting to like orange more in my flower beds. Diane

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Yeah, I'm having a "duh *slap the face* OF COURSE" moment here, too :-P

I have a strong affinity to the soft pastel mauves & blues but here in the desert Nature paints with mostly saturated reds, oranges & yellows. And 'she' wins most arguments.

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    10 years ago

When I think Texas and Kansas I think poppies and yeah, orange roses. Go big or go home!
    Susan (who loved that Chris Everett and is hoping to purchase Rainbow Niagra too)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    10 years ago

Here are some that do reasonably well for me. They are quite a diverse group, but they are all some version of orange. Impatient (FL), Boulie's Dream (GR/SH), Kordes' Brillant (SH), Lady of Shalott (SH), Cinco de Mayo (FL), and Tropicana (HT). Maybe one of these will work for you.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Tropicana (when I finally got a good healthy bush) is a great rose in my climate, too. It throws really big flowers, wants to grow tall (though not as bushy as I'd like) & repeats well.

It has such a unique color, too--you can spot it an acre away--I guess I'd call it coral if I had to use a single word. Sentimental favorite--my mother loved it.

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Has anyone ever tried Royal Dane? I always am impressed with its photos & description--big flowers, fragrant, etc.
    Never saw it in nurseries or gardens, though.

Alexander is another that I wonder about, being a Tropicana child.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Folklore holds up very well for me. The petals are pretty substantial and deal with my humidities no problem. I would think they'd hold up fairly well in high heat too. It is sort of black spotty for me though.

I wouldn't waste any time on Fragrant Cloud. It wilts in my "high" heat, which is nothing like yours, so it probably would melt for you. Besides, it blows way too fast.

I don't have it (yet) but I wonder if Dolly Parton would be good for you. I know several people in my rose society that have it and love it. It's going to replace that Fragrant Could here.

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

Bluegirl, I think you stated elsewhere that you garden in desert heat. If so, Royal Dane (Troika) is one that you might want to avoid. If it could take the heat of my garden, I think it might be my favorite rose. For color, size of blooms, and fragrance it's hard to beat. A saving characteristic is that RD wants to bloom VERY early in the season -- well ahead of any of my other HTs -- so that first flush in a mild spring is pretty special. After that, though, it tends to shut down production.

For the remainder of the season, it seems to put all its energy into reaching for the sky. In my garden it rivals Folklore and Elina in height. Also, it's a water hog -- always shows signs of stress ahead of any other rose in its bed. Its thirst is becoming increasingly problematic for me. Fortunately, we've had an unusually wet summer this year. If things revert to the norm next season, RD may have to go.

• jaxondel
    10 years ago

yet another duplicate post . . . (why has this suddenly become a problem here?)

This post was edited by jaxondel on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 16:48

• bluegirl_gw
    10 years ago

Ah, thanks for the comments. I wondered about that. So highly recommended--in (English) books--but never to be seen planted in local gardens.

Lovely blooms in the pictures, though. Like those luscious Austins that just don't do well here.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

For something that may be easier care, I submit the floribunda, Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brothers Grimm Fairy Tale photos at helpmefind.com

• Molineux
    10 years ago

My favorite orange roses are FOLKLORE (Hybrid Tea, 1977), PAT AUSTIN (English, 1995), and WESTERLAND (Shrub/Short Climber, 1969). All three are vigorous, fragrant, reliable repeaters, and the colors aren't harsh on the eyes. Folklore is the best for cut flowers, Pat Austin for that old cottage garden look, and Westerland if you just want a pretty easy care landscape rose.

Image of Pat Austin by Rose-R-me-4b-MN at the Hortiplex database.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pat Austin at a Southern Garden

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

Pat Austin is gorgeous. I have wanted this rose for years but do not believe it can take the heat here.

A nice salmon orange/pink is Artistry.

Lynn

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 16:23

• jaspermplants
    10 years ago

Livin Easy is bulletproof in my endlessly hot climate.

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    10 years ago

Livin Easy Blackspotted real bad here in the northeast...I had to Shovel prune LE as I'm no spray...

I really liked Livin easy orange rose though...

Livin Easy seems to do real well in certain locations but poor in others...One of those roses you just have to try & see how it does...

Livin Easy:

{{gwi:314392}}

• kathy9norcal
    10 years ago

Chiming in from zone 9, (extremely hot dry summers, moderate winters, and almost no blackspot), I am an orange lover. My favorites have been,

{{gwi:314393}}
    Pure Poetry

and

{{gwi:314394}}
    Outrageous

• himali.patel
    10 years ago

you can search on a google for that. you find so may websites list which provides good orange rose at a very low price. you can order it online from any of them. They provides an home delivery facility