Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snasxs

Rose or not? The leaves do not look like rose but the flowers do.

snasxs
15 years ago

{{gwi:337048}}
{{gwi:337049}}

Comments (39)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Why do you think the leaves don't look like rose leaves?
    There are many differences in the appearance of rose leaves, from one
    sort of rose to another.

Jeri

• cecily
    15 years ago

The leaves look single to me. Maybe a double flowering quince? It would be a great subject to use for bonsai.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

I think cecily might have it right...

Here is a link that might be useful: double quince flowers

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

My double flowering quince blooms are real close to the stem. Doesn't hang off like in the pics but it could be a different kind. The leaves kinda resemble some of my camellias but none of my camellias hang off like that in clusters. The bloom looks so pretty in your picture. Real curious myself to see what it ends up being. Good luck. Judy

• donnaz5
    15 years ago

the leaves look like an oleander to me, but the blossom didn't, so i googled double oleander just for kicks, and there are some doubles..see the link below...if it is oleander, just know that every part of an oleander is poisenous, just in case you have small children or pets...donna

Here is a link that might be useful: double oleander

• catsrose
    15 years ago

Look at the thorns, which I can't see in detail from the photo. Roses tend to have wide bases and often hooks. Quince have ice-picks. I'm guessing a quince, but my glasses are running on last year's eyes.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cats rose,

I can check for you. However I donÂt know what you mean by "ice-picks".

My guess is that it is some kind of relative of quince. However it is blooming now  later summer and early autumn ...

My question is: What is it?

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

To prove that it's a member of the genus Rosa, the bases of each compound leaf should have paired stipules.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann, as Cecily correctly observed, the shrub has single leaves.

• anntn6b
    15 years ago

The problem with seeing some roses leaves from a distance is that it's not possible to see if the plant has dropped leaves from disease or (doesn't apply here) from rabbit or deer predation. Often this results in the terminal leaflet hanging on.
    Does this plant have stipules?
    That's the basic question.
    If there are no stipules (they don't have to be as big as the ones in the photo below), then is isn't a rose, so your initial question would be answered.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3rd picture w big stipules on R. virginiana

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ann,

The single leaves have a hint of stipules at the base, but not fully developed stipules.

Or I can say they partially have stipules and partially lack stipules.

I have asked someone, he says it might be considered a type quince by the gardeners. But it is a border line case. Plus, he says this is not created by hybridizing a quince and a rose. But it is a species, possibly from China or Japan. But he is not sure. I am trying to figure out the species name.

BTW, your R virginiana is soooo lovely! I must have it!

• catsrose
    15 years ago

Quince thorns are more like barberry thorns. I'm pretty sure it is a quince. My quince currently has several blooms. In fact, I've had a lot of things put on blooms this fall that shouldn't, including once-blooming roses.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Cats Rose,

Did you notice the remarks from Pretty Petals - "My double flowering quince blooms are real close to the stem. Doesn't hang off like in the pics."

How about yours? Do you have such a rose-like arrangement of flowers?

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Snasxs, My quince is putting on a few blooms too right now which it does every year. I was looking at the back bush leaves when I said they kinda remind me of camellias, sorry!! Real curious to see what it ends up being. You need to post us a picture next spring when you get the bush to looking like it should. Good luck, Judy

• reg_pnw7
    15 years ago

That's not a quince. The arrangement of the flowers on the stems is totally not-quince and very much rose-like.

But the leaves appear all wrong! hard to tell in these photos. We need closeups of the leaves, without the neighboring plants mixed in.

Not oleander either, the flowers don't sit like that on oleanders, and the growth habit is totally different. Bushy, with straight woody stems. And oleanders have long waxy opposite leaves, and they weep latexy or sticky sap when cut. Don't get that sap on your skin, oleanders are poisonous and the sap can make your heart race if you get a lot of it on your skin.

The overall growth habit is totally rose-like.

Quinces are in the rose family, and have stipules at the base of their single leaves, as I recall. The leaves sure look like quince, but the flowers and the growth habit do not.

I cannot say what it is! only what it isn't.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I'm looking at an Oleander in my neighbors yard and it's definitely not an Oleander. I can't tell too much from the photos why it's NOT a rose. Maybe the poster will post some more pictures of the leaves.

• ocngypz
    15 years ago

It looks like my Japanese Camellia. Though the foliage looks like it's been dropping due to temperature stress.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maryl, the leaves are single. You might have seen a whole branch (it is not a complex leaf). Look at the second picture.

Ocngypz, this is clearly not camellia. What cultivar of camellia do you have with clustered blooms from long and branching flowering stalks?

• lesdvs9
    15 years ago

You've got a nice clear 2nd pic, why not retake a first pic. The buds don't look right on this, not pointed.
    Actually there is a rose shaped camellia.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey lesdvs,

I agree that there is a rose-shaped camellia. But the key here is the arrangement of the flowers. The shape of the flower is not my concern.

What do you mean by "donÂt look right, not pointed". I donÂt get it.

• petaloid
    15 years ago

The first photo is confusing to the eye.

After studying both photos, I believe the blooms belong to the plant on the left, which is difficult to see. It overlaps the plant on the right, which has shinier, smooth-edged slender leaves.

The second photo shows the separate plants more clearly. The brown-edged pot appears to hold the flowering plant in question.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

petaloid, correct.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    15 years ago

I think many of us may be all guessed out with only the current pictures and information given. Can you supply any additional information such as how long have you had it, why are the leaves so sparse, what did the leaves look like when they fell (disease symptoms), where did you get this plant and where did they get it? Good luck identifying it, btw.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mary L,

The plant has no disease nor problem. It is in the process of going into winter dormancy.

I went on a vacation on and off for 3 months. So the plant is under watered. But I placed it in partial shade.

The lovely ever-green plant behind is the fragrant Daphne Odora.

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay everyone, here comes the detailed flowers and leaves:

{{gwi:337051}}
    {{gwi:337048}}
    {{gwi:337052}}
    {{gwi:337053}}
    {{gwi:337049}}

It is such a huge amount of work to take the pictures and post them.

Now, you must tell me what it is!

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Need to mention that the later pictures are taken a couple weeks later. The flower is very close to naturally fading. The petals are falling off.

• carla17
    15 years ago

Tenacity here is mind blowing.

Carla

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No solid answer ...

• wanttogarden
    15 years ago

It is a Camilla; definitely not a rose. The close up pictures does not look like a rose at all, at least not to me.

FJ

• ledaanne
    15 years ago

It may be a flowering pomegranate.

• olga_6b
    15 years ago

No, not pomegranate. Leaves and flower are wrong for pomegranate.
    Looks like Camellia to me.
    Olga

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia

• lovemyshovel
    15 years ago

Some questions:
    --Where did you obtain this plant?
    --How long have you had it?
    --Have you always kept it where it is, near that window?
    Thanks

• the_dark_lady
    15 years ago

I am not sure this is a Camellia - look at the buds (completely different from the typical Camellia), also clustering is rather unusual.
    I hope the mystery is solved - the plant looks very interesting :)
    Marina

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Well, 'taint a rose, but neither does it look like any camellia I've seen,
    and camellias were one of my grandma's faves, so I grew up with 'em.
    I don't think that's even a Sassanqua Camellia.

So, I don't know what it is, but it's sure neat!

Jeri

• snasxs
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The close-up flower could be misleading. It is not a fully opened flower. It is an already faded, close-to be finished, flower. I took the second set of pictures late. If you recall how a rose look like right before it falls apart  In their prime time, the flowers look like normal rose.

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

Check out this pic of Bluestone's quince "CHAENOMELES speciosa Iwai Nishiki"

Here is a link that might be useful: CHAENOMELES speciosa Iwai Nishiki

• pocajun
    15 years ago

Thats close Jackie but CHAENOMELES speciosa Iwai Nishiki blooms early spring to late Spring and this has flowers in October and the reproductive parts are different. Are there any flowering Quinces which bloom in the Fall? Seems like everyone knows what its not and not what it is. LOL

Patrick

• jackie_o
    15 years ago

Patrick that's what I get for skimming LOL LOL! (note to self, read the text, don't just look at the pretty pictures)

Never mind...

: )

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

My double peach quince put out a few blooms this fall but mine are on the stem not hanging like in the pictures. Still would love to know what this baby is. Judy

Sponsored
GardenWise
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Award Winning Metro D.C. Landscape Architecture & Design Build Firm