Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynn2112

Showcase your Cool Pinks

Hi,

It is my understanding that a cool pink often has a blue/base versus a warm pink that often may have an orangey base.

Many berry colored and deep pink roses are have a tendency to be cool pink but this does not exclude the other pinks from this category.

On-line images can be so deceiving, but descriptions based upon seeing can be more accurate. Please list or show us the pink roses you have, that in person are cool pink.

Lynn

Comments (19)

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

This shade of pink I do have!

Pretty Jessica
    SDLM
    Charles Rennie Mckintosh
    Sharifa Asma
    Fredric Mistral
    Cymbeline
    Chartreuse de Parme

Blackberry Nip - More often than not ends up being fuchsia; but I still haven't got a decent photo yet, because its just impossible to get a truly lifelike colour.

Lastly, there's Mon Petit Chou - This ones a bit odd; the bud and the first day of starting to open, it looks quite "warm" but then seems to settle down into a much more bluish shade

{{gwi:350296}}

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Curdle,

That is a lovely bloom! Thank you for posting.

My pinks tend to be more toward the cool pinks as well. I am so drawn to any pink that has a hint of lavender.

I too have Charles Renni Mackintosh, SDLM, and Pretty Jessica should arrive in a month or so. I am interested in Frederic Mistral, but cannot seem to get a handle on its color.

Lynn

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

That is a gorgeous rose with such a rich color. Is it the Kordes rose? I really wanted to get that one a couple of years ago, but could never find a good photo of it since Palatine's wasn't any good. Now I can see how lovely it is, and I'm out of space. Diane

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Yes, its the Kordes one. I didn't even order it on purpose; it came as a complimentary extra after I ordered several other roses from a supplier last bare root season. I was a bit put off at first, as the colour didn't seem to be the best, but after opening, it rather grew on me.. nice and cabbagey, an almost edible pink, (reminds me of impossible lolly type desserts) and there's a bit of shading from paler to darker. No perfume, but seems fairly blackspot free (everything's got black spot in my garden at the moment) and a fairly good grower so far. To early to tell if its a keeper; it has to get through what is likely to be a rather vicious summer first!

I would say Frederic Mistral is a pale cold pink. At the start of the season, he had more of a tendency to mid pink shadings; towards the end, which in my case was well into winter, he was looking an even icier lavender blueish pink. I have several pics I took then, one is the last one posted on HMF. Please forgive the excitable commentary there, but I was rather impressed by his keeping powers :)

• bethnorcal9
    10 years ago

Cool pinks... yeah cool!

WEDDING BELLS - new one for me this yr. Looks like it's gonna be a good one. blooms a lot and nice big long-lasting ones.
    {{gwi:350297}}

SHOWTIME - an oldie but a goodie. Shows both cool tones and warm tones. Almost always in bloom, and lots of them.
    {{gwi:350299}}

THE MCCARTNEY ROSE - one of the best pure pinks. Love the scent. Rebloom is decent, but the blooms do blow a little faster than I'd like.
    {{gwi:350301}}

PORTRAIT - one you don't see much anymore. Good big blooms. Not real great repeat, but then she's been in a big pot for over ten yrs.
    {{gwi:350302}}

MEMORIAL DAY - borders on mauve, but still a pink in my eyes. Lots of big fat smelly blooms!
    {{gwi:350303}}

LADY LIKE - a nice darker pink that blooms well and makes a nice big plant 4+ft x 3ft.
    {{gwi:350305}}

GENTLE GIANT - a huge bloom that's more cool but can get warm undertones. Not a real great repeater tho.
    {{gwi:350306}}

CHARTREUSE DE PARME - drop dead gorgeous deep purply-pink ruffly, smelly blooms that'll make ya swoon. Way more beautiful in person than any photo can show.
    {{gwi:350307}}

DUBLIN - another smelly one and nice plant. Gorgeous huge blooms with a smokey edge.
    {{gwi:350308}}

BRINESSA - beautiful scalloped and ruffly pure pink blooms on a plant about 4ftx2.5ft.
    {{gwi:350309}}

BEVERLY newer one for me; nice blooms, not real great repeat so far.
    {{gwi:350310}}

ANNIE DAVIDSON - another one bordering on mauve. Nice big shapely blooms and decent repeat.
    {{gwi:350311}}

FIRST ENTERPRISE - probably one of the best dark pinks ever created. Always in bloom, with huge fat deep pink blooms and buds all over a huge plant. Must get 6-7ft x like 4ft wide, and it's in a 16" plastic pot!!
    {{gwi:350312}}

Probably have others, but this should do for now.

• canadian_rose
    10 years ago

This rose is Perfume Delight. I love, love, love the fragrance. Wonderful rose.
    Carol

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Like I said on the other one, not good at deciding if these are warm or cool so forgive me if I've goofed some up here.

Appleblossom Flower Carpet
    {{gwi:301425}}

Brilliant Pink Iceberg
    {{gwi:350313}}

Country Music
    {{gwi:301420}}

Dainty Bess
    {{gwi:350314}}

Falling in Love
    {{gwi:350315}}

Iobelle
    {{gwi:350316}}

Jilly Jewel
    {{gwi:350317}}

Little Sir Echo
    {{gwi:350318}}

Memorial Day
    {{gwi:350319}}

Quietness
    {{gwi:350320}}

Ruffled Cloud
    {{gwi:350321}}

Verdun
    {{gwi:350322}}

Voluptuous
    {{gwi:350323}}

Wild Plum
    {{gwi:350325}}

Winsome
    {{gwi:350326}}

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

I have more cool pinks than I should, so I won't post them all. Here are a couple of favorites that haven't been shown yet:

Sweet Surrender (love her big, flat blooms and wonderful fragrance)

{{gwi:350327}}

Grand Dame (one of my favorite roses...big and grand in bloom and scent. Her coloring is a very strong pink which mixes well with both warm or cool tones, but she definitely has some blue undertones, so I would call her a "cool" pink. I use her as a transition from cool to warm in a mixed rose bed)

{{gwi:350328}}

Blossomtime (love her cream/pale pink with dark pink reverse)

{{gwi:350329}}

• larmar123
    10 years ago

For me Beverly as a second year plant was wonderful. It produced many new strong canes and was almost always in bloom with great looking flowers. it was at or close to the top of my roses this year and I am hoping to reproduce it with a cutting this next year.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Seil, all your photos are wonderful, of course, but the two that blow me away are the beyond exquisite Appleblossom Flower Carpet and Dainty Bess. You need to frame these two and put them in an art gallery.
    Pat, your photo of the porcelain petaled Blossomtime belongs in an art gallery, too.
    Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Here is Bewitched, I think it's a cool pink. Some lovely cool pinks here. Pat, your picture of Sweet Surrender is beautiful, I keep forgetting about that rose, but it is a good one, with a wonderful fragrance.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks, Nana!

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

I agree with Pat Bama that most of my pinks tend toward the cool side, since if I want warmer tones my eyes drift toward wanting apricot rather than a warm pink (though many times those apricots look pink in hot weather). Here are some of my favorites - the hotter the better!

I dearly love the subtle stripes of Vick's Caprice, and it fits well in the OGR section of my back yard beds.

{{gwi:304940}}

This is a slightly out of focus shot of St. Elizabeth of Hungary, but it's such a great mauve-pink double rose that doesn't get discussed very often, I thought I'd throw it in here.

{{gwi:350330}}

Bad Worishofen/Pink Emely doesn't have the mauve tones of the previous two, but it's a solid wall of cool pink.

{{gwi:346143}}

Elmshorn is supposed to be crimson, but to me it's a medium to deep cool pink, and a trouble free bloomer.

{{gwi:311208}}

Earth Song at the center of this shot is definitely a cool pink, but it makes a nice transition between warmer apricot-pinks like Polka to the right and the hotter colors just starting to the left.

{{gwi:263718}}

If we expand into the pink blends, Meilland Decor Arlequin is definitely in the cool pink category.

{{gwi:301417}}

And among the stripes, Fiesta is one that stays in the hot pink range without going crimson most of the time.

{{gwi:284395}}

Cynthia

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    10 years ago

Nippstress, beautiful roses and a gorgeous garden shot. I'd love to see more pictures of your garden.

Ingrid

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I'm enjoying all these cool pinks--nearly ready to spade all my roses and replant the entire back yard in shades of pink and white! (Well, almost. Wild fantasy!)

: )

Kate

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, Ingrid! The whole garden shot was from the incredible spring flush we had this year and I went a little hog wild then... Now of course everything is snow covered, so we'll enjoy your garden shots and others from California, and we cold zoners will join in again in spring.

Kate, just wait until we post an apricot and purple thread, or a dark red and white one! Every post seems to add to my wish list, and we're all wicked enablers.

Cynthia

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of my little cabbage -Mon Petit Chou

• Smoky88
    10 years ago

Another one

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Absolutely charming, smoky!

Kate