Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

'Baltimore Belle' to replace 'Jaune Desprez'

AquaEyes 7a NJ
9 years ago

So I've given up on 'Jaune Desprez' coming back -- the tiny red shoot I saw turned out to be a germinating acorn "planted" by a squirrel last year. My clematis 'Sweet Summer Love' is already planted at the base of the large Japanese Maple, climbing up the dangling string which once held 'Jaune Desprez' in place along the trunk. I waited too long to order a replacement (it seems to be sold-out everywhere...), and I started wondering if I was simply "pushing it too far" to try growing a Tea-Noisette as a tree-climber where I live. I started thinking of a replacement.

Meanwhile, growing like a monster in a 2-gal container is a 'Baltimore Belle' I got from Vintage Gardens last year, intending to gift it to a friend back on Long Island. As it grew so fast, I started wondering how I'd get it there -- I don't drive, so I'd be carrying a rose with 8' canes on the train. I was thinking of gifting it to another friend from work, who's just starting her garden, but decided to let her "start small" with the four roses I gave her instead of dealing with a rambler right away.

Perhaps my two problems are each other's solution. 'Baltimore Belle' already has enough size to be tied along the tree where it forks, and it would serve as a trellis for the clematis which will bloom when the rose is finished. If I keep 'Baltimore Belle' here, I can still gift rooted cuttings to my two friends, which would be easier to transport.

I'm a bit bummed about not getting to see 'Jaune Desprez' bloom in the tree, but I'd also hate to buy it again only to lose it if we get another harsh Winter. So today I'm putting 'Baltimore Belle' in the ground, and I'm giving up on trying to grow a tender rose as a climber here.

I'll take pics later.

:-)

~Christopher

Comments (23)

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Baltimore Belle is a wonderful rose here! Hardy, fragrant and disease-resistant. I think you'll be glad you kept her for yourself. :-)

I gave up on Jaune years ago, never bloomed or grew very large due to winter kill.

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lori, you're echoing my dismay. I had visions of JD's blooms hanging down from the tree, smelling it in the warm, still Summer air, but where I am now, it's just not meant to be. True, this Winter was extreme, but I think I was destined for failure thinking I could grow something marginally hardy in a non-protected spot.

So, I got 'Baltimore Belle' in the ground. When I took it out of its pot, the roots were circling and engulfing the soil all throughout. I couldn't dig down quite as deep as I'd have liked (a tree root ran across the bottom of the hole, but there was room for the rose's roots to grow around it), and the top of the soil line from the pot was about an inch above the soil line on the ground. I mounded the backfill, mixed in leftover manure, peat moss and mulch, and spread it so the slope of the mound wasn't very extreme.

Then came the task of untangling the clematis from the twine I had tied to a branch and left to dangle down as something to climb. With that out of the way, I played with how I wanted to attach the canes to the trunk of the tree before putting in a few nails and holding the canes in place with twist ties. Then I took the unraveled clematis and weaved it into the rose's canes.

Here are pics -- but I should add that this tree is on its way out. The main branch on the right, after the first fork from the base, is dead. Last year, one smaller branch on this section was dead and I sawed it off. Soon after, the whole section died. I'm going to leave it, though, to serve as a support for the rose and clematis. My landlord told me it's already about ten years older than Japanese maples tend to live around here.

{{gwi:265591}}

{{gwi:265592}}

{{gwi:265593}}

Here you see the clematis 'Sweet Summer Love' planted to the right of 'Baltimore Belle.' The clematis has two very long stems now, which I separated and trained to "hug" either side of the tree by weaving it into different canes on 'Baltimore Belle.' There are several smaller stems further down, and the longer stems are starting to branch. Being a hybrid of Autumn Clematis, I think this will have no problem getting into the tree via the rose.

{{gwi:265594}}

That one cane in the pic below is eight feet long. Imagine me dealing with that on a train! My friend will be getting a rooted cutting instead -- much easier to transport. Oh, and if you were wondering, 'Baltimore Belle' came a year ago as a band from Vintage Gardens. Yes, it grew this much its first year -- those are all last year's canes, and are already loaded with flower buds.

{{gwi:265596}}

~Christopher

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

I say go for it, Christopher! I haven't even fussed with many noisette-teas here in Portland, mostly just good ol' Madame Alfred. Baltimore Belle is a beauty and, as I recall, she blooms for an extended time, although only once. Her foliage is healthy so she's nice to look at when not flowering. Your clematis might extend the overall flowering event. Do tell. Is Sweet Summer Love really fragrant? Carol

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    9 years ago

According to what I've read of it, yes, 'Sweet Summer Love' is very fragrant. It is supposed to start blooming a little earlier than its species-parent, but still late in the season. The flowers are small but in large clouds, and in shades of cherry-red and purple. Sort of like a darker 'Rubromarginata' -- which was my initial choice, until I found out about this one.

~Christopher

• portlandmysteryrose
    9 years ago

Yum!

• fogrose
    9 years ago

Baltimore Belle is one tough survivor. She laughs at the wind from the Pacific ocean that is blowing her around. Seems very drought tolerant too. Now if I could just get rid of the rose slugs...

Diane

• zeffyrose
    9 years ago

can't wait to see pictures-----Florence

• annesfbay
    9 years ago

That is going to be awesome.

Anne

• Poorbutroserich Susan Nashville
    9 years ago

Christopher, I always appreciate your "CAN DO" attitude and willingness to experiment. I purchased SSL clematis this spring to share the wall with Aloha Hawaii, Parade and Dixieland Linda.
    I hope they do well for both of us.
    And I am growing Juane next to Mel's Heritage (which you suggested) up against a sheltered southern exposure...so...wish me luck. It is c r e e p i n g along.
    Susan

• lynnette
    9 years ago

Baltimore Belle appreciates a little shade from the hot afternoon sun. Her petals are like the old fashion type roses, which means they are thin. She also needs to be guilded to where you want her to go as her canes, when young, are pliable. I like her because she blooms later than most roses and has loads of buds.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Mayday, mayday, where can I find a Baltimore Belle?

• fogrose
    8 years ago
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Thanks fogrose for the link, they have the once blooming version. There is a repeat version out there, I am hunting for it. :-)

• fogrose
    8 years ago

i think b belle repeats in certain climate zones but not all. she had a long bloom season for me (pacifica, ca).

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Thanks fogrose. I think everything repeats over there. Blushing Lucy repeats there too, but not here......

Chris, would you please let us know how many days yours in bloom this spring?

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Sure! Last year and the year before I had running threads with pics of the Spring show, so I'll be sure to take extra pics of 'Baltimore Belle' from beginning to end.

~Christopher

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Thanks Chris, that sounds great. I'd love to see all the photos! :-)

AquaEyes 7a NJ thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Chris, Where can I find a Giardina??

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I never heard of that one -- and it doesn't seem to be anywhere in this country. It looks like someone crossed Souvenir de la Malmaison with a Wichurana rambler and got a repeat-blooming climber out of it -- very pretty.

~Christopher

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

Thanks Chris for checking on this rose, that's why this rose is no where to be found......if you have time would you please breed one like that? :-) That's really a pretty rose indeed. Bought a look like-Nahema, I know it's not hardy enough for here, grow it in a pot. :-)

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I wonder if Sombreuil would work for you where you are.....or maybe Garisenda....or Souvenir de la Malmaison, Climbing.....

• summersrhythm_z6a
    8 years ago

I have a Sombreuil (a 3rd yr old band), it stays @ 1' tall; have 3 SdlM coming this spring, 2 bush kind & 1 climber, I lost a potted SdlM cl band last fall, mice ate the whole thing in a garden shed. I will check on Gaisenda. Thanks for the tip! :-)