Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
california_suzanne

Your opinion on these roses?

california_suzanne
19 years ago

Happy New Year, everyone!

Does anyone have experience growing or observing any of the of the following roses? I would like to know:

-- What are their good and bad qualities?

-- Are any of them worth growing as an exhibition rose?

Voluptuous (HT, JACtourn)

Honey Dijon (Grandiflora, WEKsproulses)

Diana, Princess of Wales (HT, JACshaq)

Tuscan Sun (Floribunda, JACthain)

Neptune (HT, WEKhilpurnil)

Misty Twilight (HT, BALrihus, sport of Rina Hugo)

any other relatively new roses you would recommend for exhibition? thanks!

Comments (15)

• pleasegrow
    19 years ago

Suzanne

Just ordered Voluptuous, hope it's good,
    Don't have Honey Dijon.
    Diana, POW is a nice rose, need more time.
    Don't have Tuscan Sun.
    Neptune may be on it's way out, not much if any form this year, it's saving grace is a great fragrance, which my wife loves.
    Have heard some good thing about Misty Twilight, so I ordered one or two this year.

I have heard great thing about 'Let Freedom Ring' available from Edmunds, and Perfectly Red.

Thanks/John

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

Suzanne, do you know anything about a David Austin Shrub called Grace?

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

Cleanleaf. this is a different California suzanne, Suzanne Horn. I'm not sure who the initial poster, California suzanne is, but I had a hunch you were asking this question of me.

I have only seen pictures of Grace. It looks like an attractive Austin, but I don't think its form is anything special, and I doubt that it would win against other Austin roses. In short, I did not order it.

Just my two cents. I could be wrong.

Suzanne Horn

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

Suzanne, we are interested in the Austin Rose Grace for garden purposes..Any ideas where we can get it?

• arkroselady
    19 years ago

pleasegrow, where can one get Perfectly Red? It's not listed on Edmund's site and Calvin Boutte says he doesn't have it either.

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

Cleanleaf,

You can purchase Grace from David Austin Roses online. Website is www.davidaustinroses.com, then click on the American flag for available varieties in the United States.

Hope this helps.

Suzanne Horn

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Different growing conditions, but my $0.02 anyway:

Neptune: No form. Maybe fragrance or open bloom, but my plant still isn't large enough to tell.

Misty Twilight: Maybe. I caught a glimpse of form on one bloom late in the summer, but again, too new to tell.

Have Honey Dijon on order, more for the color than anything else. Let Freedom Ring has the buzz.

• california_suzanne
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback! This helps me narrow the field. I'm looking for a couple of new roses with consistently good form.

I had heard that Honey Dijon had good form as well as unusual color, but wasn't sure how much of that was hype.

Is Let Freedom Ring exhibited under that name, or as "2005 Better Homes & Gardens Rose"? They are the same thing, aren't they?

• PMVG57
    19 years ago

Same rose, registered as and to be shown as 'Let Freedom Ring', I have three coming this week on fortuniana! :o)

• amandahugg
    19 years ago

Hey PMV, where did you find it on Fortuniana?

• arkroselady
    19 years ago

Amanda, James Mills (K & M Nursery) has it and he's a really nice guy. His number is 601-648-2908.

• PMVG57
    19 years ago

Yep, that's the fort source! :o)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    19 years ago

I can comment on Neptune. It has decent flower size, nice color, a bush that is healthier than Barbara Streisand, a nice smell, and makes a good display in the garden. It is a nice garden rose. As to show form, not usually. Very few flowers are of showable quality under the current scheme of ARS judging criteria.

• cindybergmann
    19 years ago

Neptune showed good form for me its first year. Think of it as a healthy Sterling Silver( Which I have in the same bed as Neptune).

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

THere are very few roses that dont get 2-3 yrs to develope in my garden. However, Neptune demonstrated such poor form & fading that I was able to pull the plug after yr 1...Another that went out the door was Strawberry Romance.

My neighbor loves living next to an exhibitor..He asks every year.."Any rose dogs for me?"

Sponsored