Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best yellow rose?

Posted by karen600 zone 5 Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 18, 05 at 16:35

What is the best yellow rose for exhibiting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best yellow rose?

Everyone may have their own favorites, and I'm probably forgetting some, but one of the best is St. Patrick. What do others think?

o

I would second the suggestion of St. Patrick and would also add the rose Elina. Both are realy spectacular in my garden.

o

I agree, St. Patty is the gold standard for show HT's. I'm trying a new florist yellow HT called 'Moonlight' this year....

For Mini's - 'Behold' and a new one in the last couple years 'Erin Alonso'(a sport of Bees Knees) has excellent form.

o

Since you did not qualify your question, I will give some observations on yellow roses that I have seen show well in several classes. In addition to St. Patrick and Elina, other yellow hybrid teas that I have seen show well in various places include Irish Gold, Helmut Schmidt, Berolina/Selfridges, and the grandiflora Gold Medal. Another on I have in my yard is Skyline. It is a nice yellow HT that I got from Hortico, but it doesn't bloom a whole lot. I think it is the location that is the problem. Rise 'n Shine, a mini, shows reasonably well. Sunsprite, a floribunda, shows well as a spray. Graham Thomas shows well in the shrub category. I just threw these in for thought.

o

I would like to nominate 'Mellow Yellow'. While not an exibitor's rose, its a great garden rose that is vigorous and doesn't fade.

o

According to the ARS - the top yellow exhibition winners are:

St Patrick
Gold Medal
Sun Flare
Sunsprite
Behold Miniature
Olympic Gold miniature

o

I would have to say "Golden Celebration" is the best yellow rose!

o

If you are interested in exhibition roses in classes beyond hybrid teas, here are some suggestions for the Midwest.

Floribundas - Eureka, Julia Child, Golden Holstein
Miniatures - Ty, Breath of Spring, Erin Alonso
Mini-Floras - Butter Cream, Autumn Splendor (red border), My Sunshine (single)
Shrubs - Graham Thomas, Golden Wings

o

One of my favorites is Elegant Beauty.

o

Phil since when did My Sunshine become a mini flora? And is not Breath Of Spring a mini flora?

I got a new mini flora this year called Yellow Bird, a Whit Wells rose.

o

Dan, you are right of course that My Sunshine is a mini. I don't know where my mind was at that moment. However, Breath of Spring is also classed as a mini.

o

Phil, as big as that rose is it should be!

o

You'll have to talk to Dennis Bridges if you want Breath of Spring changed from mini to Mini-Flora. Only the hybridizer can make such a change. I've been trying to convince Vernon Rickard that Nancy Jean should be a Mini-Flora for a long time, but he won't make the change and he is the only one who can do so as long as he is alive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here