Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karen600

Best yellow rose?

karen600
19 years ago

What is the best yellow rose for exhibiting?

Comments (21)

• phil_schorr
    19 years ago

Everyone may have their own favorites, and I'm probably forgetting some, but one of the best is St. Patrick. What do others think?

• sharky49
    19 years ago

I would second the suggestion of St. Patrick and would also add the rose Elina. Both are realy spectacular in my garden.

• PMVG57
    19 years ago

I agree, St. Patty is the gold standard for show HT's. I'm trying a new florist yellow HT called 'Moonlight' this year....

For Mini's - 'Behold' and a new one in the last couple years 'Erin Alonso'(a sport of Bees Knees) has excellent form.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    19 years ago

Since you did not qualify your question, I will give some observations on yellow roses that I have seen show well in several classes. In addition to St. Patrick and Elina, other yellow hybrid teas that I have seen show well in various places include Irish Gold, Helmut Schmidt, Berolina/Selfridges, and the grandiflora Gold Medal. Another on I have in my yard is Skyline. It is a nice yellow HT that I got from Hortico, but it doesn't bloom a whole lot. I think it is the location that is the problem. Rise 'n Shine, a mini, shows reasonably well. Sunsprite, a floribunda, shows well as a spray. Graham Thomas shows well in the shrub category. I just threw these in for thought.

• Chris_Greenwood
    19 years ago

I would like to nominate 'Mellow Yellow'. While not an exibitor's rose, its a great garden rose that is vigorous and doesn't fade.

• argurl79_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I would have to say "Golden Celebration" is the best yellow rose!

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

If you are interested in exhibition roses in classes beyond hybrid teas, here are some suggestions for the Midwest.

Floribundas - Eureka, Julia Child, Golden Holstein
    Miniatures - Ty, Breath of Spring, Erin Alonso
    Mini-Floras - Butter Cream, Autumn Splendor (red border), My Sunshine (single)
    Shrubs - Graham Thomas, Golden Wings

• rayrose
    15 years ago

One of my favorites is Elegant Beauty.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

Phil since when did My Sunshine become a mini flora? And is not Breath Of Spring a mini flora?

I got a new mini flora this year called Yellow Bird, a Whit Wells rose.

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

Dan, you are right of course that My Sunshine is a mini. I don't know where my mind was at that moment. However, Breath of Spring is also classed as a mini.

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

Phil, as big as that rose is it should be!

• phil_schorr
    15 years ago

You'll have to talk to Dennis Bridges if you want Breath of Spring changed from mini to Mini-Flora. Only the hybridizer can make such a change. I've been trying to convince Vernon Rickard that Nancy Jean should be a Mini-Flora for a long time, but he won't make the change and he is the only one who can do so as long as he is alive.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Sunsprite is the most true lemon colored variety I have seen. Many other "yellow" rose varieties are really more golden amber tinted. Unfortunately the tint of Sunsprite is just a little whitish, not quite as deep-colored as the others, but I would still much rather prefer that over something that's orange-tinted.

Sunsprite is considered a classic variety, and I am not aware of any newer varieties in the same color category that have surpassed it.

Still, while Sunsprite makes a wonderful rose for the yard and has beautiful blossoms, I am not sure it would be the best type of rose for exhibition. The color is just not quite as bold as some of the others, and the bloom shape is good but not quite spectacular. Same thing with the fragrance. Really good all-around rose, but just no one aspect that really stands out as amazing.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

Since this one has been brought back up, I grow Lo & Behold. A miniflora that is a sport of the mini Behold.

• Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
    8 years ago

You also might want to take a look at Mohana. Wisconsin Rose's sells it, so mit might be winter hardy for you.

• parker25mv
    8 years ago

Radiant Perfume is another solid yellow, it's very slightly on the golden side though, but the color is deep. It has a sweet smell too.

• Buford_NE_GA_7A
    8 years ago

Midas Touch and Henry Fonda are also good yellow roses.

• dizzylizzy 7b
    8 years ago

I entered my first show this year and won best in show for the novice class with St. Patrick.

• Francesco Delvillani
    8 years ago

One of the best yellow is Rosa Gioia....yellow with different gradations changing as the flowers gets old

More photos click here :)

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    8 years ago

Gioia is actually also known as Peace.

Sponsored