Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Marilyn Wellan

Does anyone know of a mail order source for the Eddie Edwards HT Marilyn Wellan that's not on Fortuniana? Will it be registered under that name as I understand there is already a mini named M.W.

Comments (13)

• phil_schorr
    18 years ago

It has already been registered as Marilyn Wellan. The mini was registered as MOEmarilyn, so there was not a conflict. The Marilyn Wellan name for the mini is just a commercial synonym. Further, Mitchie Moe (who hybridized MOEmarilyn) gave her blessing to naming the new HT Marilyn Wellan before the registration was submitted.

I'm not aware of anyone carrying the new Marilyn Wellan on anything other than Fortuniana. If it becomes popular there may be some who will pick it up on another rootstock, but for now it is very limited.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your reply. At least I know what name to look for if the HT proves worthy of mass marketing. I realize that the ARS was proud of the name, but it IS frustrating to see the luscious pictures of a rose in the ARS magazine that only a select few have access to at present. I'll be on the lookout for any news of it in the future. A fragrant exhibition HT doesn't happen every day.

• phil_schorr
    18 years ago

For now it probably will only be available from Johnny Becnel Show Roses. All the nurseries and rose hybridizers were hurt by Katrina, so there isn't much stock right now. I hope we hear more about it in the coming months.

• john_mitchie
    18 years ago

I recall when Eddie announced the HT 'Marilyn Wellan' at the convention in Memphis he said that Johnny Becnel Show Roses was going to have it budded on Fortuniana, and Jack Walter mentioned he would have it on Multiflora. You might check with Kimbrew-Walter Roses to see if I heard right and when they would be available.

• john_mitchie
    18 years ago

I talked to Jack Walter from Kimbrew-Walter the other day, and he told me that he is going to have all of Eddie's hybrids on Multiflora. However, as many of you know Eddie suffered quite a setback from Katrina. Jack mentioned that he would not be getting any budwood until spring, so it will be a while before he has some limited quantities of field grown budded plants.

• kokosrose
    18 years ago

K&M Roses has it also. I just got one but it's on fortuniana. I've seen the rose in person and it is truely magnificent. Everyone should get it when you can.

• jont1
    18 years ago

Vernon Rickard at Almost Heaven Roses is carrying this rose own-root. I ordered it myself just this week along with The Wright Brothers, Denali, and Tabatha. I am excited to find someone carrying this not on fortuniana.
    John

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This rose made court at the Tulsa spring rose show today. Beautiful bloom. So many reds to choose from these days.

• amandahugg
    17 years ago

In California, it's pink and full of mildew. What a dramatic disappointment! Eddie really needs to test his roses in a broader climate before introduction. I'm tired of being his guinea pig.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the info Amandahugg. I love exhibition HT's but also want it to be a nice garden rose as well. It does happen on occasion (I'm thinking Gemini for one).

• jont1
    17 years ago

I never have any BS or PM on any of my 200 roses including lots of Eddie Edwards cultivars including Marilyn Wellan. I spray every 2-3 weeks with mancozeb mixed with either funginex or daconil depending on the temp. outside.
    John

• historygrl2themax
    15 years ago

hey i hav a project about her and i need info FAST! can you help!!!!????!?!?! please please!!!! birth deth where when, how, who she married, what she did, hwere she lived!!!!! please im not tring to be mean and pushy but i really need you to help!!!!!

• regehr
    15 years ago

Get your MW here. I have gotten at least 2 from James and they are a great supplier of roses on Fortuniana.

Here is a link that might be useful: K and M Roses

Sponsored
Stanford Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia