Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
size of roses for judging

Posted by rebelann indiana (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 11, 08 at 9:05

How large does the rose bloom have to be in order to judge them? Last summer at our county fair a judge awarded a tight bud a place over a full bloom. Is there a size minimum? I need to know as soon as possible in order to publish the rule for next show!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: size of roses for judging

rebelann, not all county fair judges are ARS-certified Rose Show Judges (Horticulture). And Garden Club rules are different than ARS judging rules. You can buy a copy of the Guidelines for Judging Roses from the ARS (you don't need to be a member to order the book).

Are you writing the schedule for an ARS show or some other type (Garden Club, Fair, etc.)?

To meet ARS guidelines, for an exhibition-form hybrid tea, grandiflora, miniature or mini-flora, the bloom should be 1/2 - 3/4 open, sepals down, with the center in a tight, high, spiral, fresh, with clear, clean, petals. For other types, the bloom should be open as is "indicative of the variety", again fresh, with clear, clean, petals.

There are terrific photos of winning rose show blooms at The Santa Clarita Valley Rose Society site.

Here is a link that might be useful: How Roses are Judged by Robert Martin

o
RE: size of roses for judging

Don't get me started about Judges at County Fairs. I have been robbed more times than I can think by the Garden Clubjudges! Judging was so bad at our Fair that they finally got a U of illinois Horticulture Judge. He knows his plants!
NEVER get a Master Gardner to judge flowers!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here