Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drugstock

Bloom cycles

drugstock
18 years ago

Does anyone have a recorded bloom cycle for the first spring bloom in middle Georgia or similar area. I haven't shown roses very often but I am interested.

Comments (3)

• Rgschwerdt
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Drugstock,

Sorry it’s taken this long for you to receive a response to your post, but welcome to the wonderful world of exhibiting. Once you get your feet wet, a new world will open up, bringing new joys to our hobby of growing roses. There are probley as many different timing schedules, as there are exhibitors. Not knowing how advanced you are in exhibiting, will go over several basics to remember in timing roses. The majority of information in this article is based on several of my articles, published 1985. While rose varieties have changed over the years, all still require a certain amount of time to develop a bloom.

Before actual getting to the point of timing roses, several factors should be addressed: before showing good roses, you must grow good roses. Growing good show roses to requires the same amount of time, and no more work than every day, normal rose cultural. Paying close attention to watering, fertilizing and preventive spraying all are necessary to produce healthy roses. Next would be pruning (cutting back) canes at the proper time, producing the greatest number of blooms on the (targeted) show date.

Three days prior to the show date, water every day. This will give the foliage good substance and crispness in the petals of the blooms. Many exhibitors give a booster feeding, three (3) weeks prior to a show. Mine consists of one tablespoon of Miracle Gro 15-30-15, combined with one (1) oz. of fish fertilizer and one (1) oz. liquid seaweed, per gallon of water, with each plant receiving a gallon of this mix.

Timing of roses is one of the most important skills an exhibitor can develop. Roses recycle so many days following pruning, providing they receive sufficient sunshine, the ground has enough moisture, and temperature is somewhat normal (mid-70’s). All govern the quantity, as well as quality of the blooms. Another factor that governs the time for a bloom to develop, is the number of petals a rose has. Blooms with fewer petals, will open faster than one’s having many petals. Precisely why it is so important, knowing a roses approximately number of petals.

Exhibiting like judging roses is not a science but an art, developed over the years by experience. Record in a log each year, the number of days it takes for a bloom to develop on each variety and use it as a guide, in calculating when to prune for the next rose show. When, where and why you prune, are major factors to consider when pruning. Timing of roses will vary between spring and fall, with fall roses more predictable than spring roses. Based on many variable factors, spring roses take approximately 5 to 9 days longer to peak. Punning canes low, you may have to add approximately 5 to 6 or more days, (depending on growing conditions) to a pruning schedule. If rose sprays are your goal, removing the terminal bud (first bud to develop) early, encouraging healthier side buds to develop, add approximately 5 to 7 days to the schedule.

For a fall rose show based on an approximate petal count, roses are divided into three groups. Roses with 44 to 60+ petals, prune 49 to 52 days prior to a show; Roses with 35 to 43 petals, prune 42 to 48 days prior to a show; Roses with 25 to 34 petals, prune 38 to 41 days prior to a show. This is a basic timing schedule for pruning Hybrid tea or Grandiflora roses. Floribunda roses prune approximately 49 to 56 days. Miniatures and Mini-Flora’s prune approximately 48 to 52 days for a spring show and 43 to 48 days for a fall show. Pruning dates listed are approximate and would suggest the following when timing roses. That at mid point between the spread of days a bloom reaches its targeted date, prune 1/3 of a variety on that day, 1/3 a day or so before and 1/3 a day or so after the target date. Spacing pruning over 4 to 5 days, will assure the most roses blooming on the day of a show.

Should you require further assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Good Luck,
    Ron Schwerdt

• drugstock
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks

• roughie
    17 years ago

Hi drugstock 8, i am new to rose shows. I live in northern tasmania and the wind is prety bad and does a lot of damage.My roses will be two years old this july and are developing quite well.
    I have been to 3 rose shows and know i have have better or at least equal than what i have seen so far.My problem is i don't know what i am doing, or when to pick the blooms or how to display them.Can you help me please as i want to get into this.I have ordered 4 more, gold medal, kardinal, peter frankinfield and diamond jubilee. are these good roses.I have prepared the holes with plenty of cow manure about 6 weeks ago and expect them to arrive early June. roughie