Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_greenwood_gw

The Stars Come Out For the PSWD Convention

Chris_Greenwood
19 years ago

The PSWD Convention (April 21 - 24) promises to be a star-studded event with three very special guests attending the awards banquet.

Raul Rodriguez, float designer for the Pasadena Tournament of Roses, will be our featured speaker. He will be presenting an exciting program on the Tournament of Roses and what it takes to make a trophy-winning float. Raul holds the record on desiging the most winning entries.

Julie Newmar, the Catwoman of the original Batman TV series will be with us as well. Julie is not a stranger to ARS members here in the Southland, having toured the rose fields in Wasco and a guest judge at the rose show at the Flower Fields last October. Julie loves to garden and she loves roses -- especially the 'Julie Newmar' rose.

Phyllis Diller -- Phyllis was delighted when we extended her an invitation to attend the awards banquet. Armstrong Garden Centers will be introducing the 'Phyllis Diller' rose in 2006 -- a lovely yellow grandiflora. While not an exhibitor's variety (except in the spray classes) it is sure be a winner for the garden. Phyllis in not just a pretty face and funny lady, but she's a noted artist, concert pianist and author. Her new autobiography 'Like a Lampshade in a Whorehouse' is having them rolling in the aisles.

We hope that all members of ARS in the PSWD will come out and support their district's convention. Information and registration forms can be found on our award-winning website.

Here is a link that might be useful: PSWD Website

Comments (7)

• CABILLW
    19 years ago

Chris,

We just sent in our registration fees, and we are
    looking forward to seeing Julie Newmar again. What a
    nice lady. And it will be fun to see Phyllis Diller, one
    of our favorite funny ladies.

Connie
    Coastal Long Beach

• Paribear
    19 years ago

Wait until Phyllis Diller hears about the Jerry Garcia Rose!!!!!!! I can't wait to meet her!!!!!! LOL!!!!!

• CABILLW
    19 years ago

Paribear,

What's with Phyllis Diller and the Jerry Garcia rose?????
    I'm stumped......

Connie
    Coastal Long Beach

• prillzilla
    19 years ago

The last I heard from Paris(what, a year ago?) was he was trying to get a rose named for the late Jerry Garcia. I think there was something with his estate holding it up. Maybe he has been successful. Paris? Do tell.

Aprille :-)

• Paribear
    19 years ago

Aprille,

So good to hear from you. It will be nice to have the PSW district show this year in Arcadia, my home town. The arboretum is such a beautiful place. I visited there recently and something is always in bloom.

Regarding the Jerry Garcia Rose, my article will be published in the ARS magazine, The Rose, once the licensing agreement has been completed with the Estate of Jerry Garcia. This article will tell a lot of the story of this project and how to name a rose after someone. Sean McCann (Ireland) is the hybridizer of this rose and Ashdown Roses (South Carolina) will be growing and distributing the rose.

Although originally considered for a hybrid tea classification, it will now be classified as a floribunda due it's growth characteristics and the profous blooming of this rose, most often in sprays. It is a beautiful red and white rose, unique in that half of the rose is all red, the other half red with white stripes. According to Sean, the center has a golden heart when fully open-how fitting to honor the man who many say had a heart of gold himself.

The Estate hasn't been holding this project up, although I will admit it is taking time. However, good things are worth waiting for and patience is a virtue! I can say, based on my discussions with the estate, that they are very interested in my project and they are being careful by helping us to create a unique license appropriate to this project. The Estate licenses many things and this rose project is on a list of many (ice cream, J. Garcia wine, ties, etc).

I will be receiving four of these plants from Ashdown in May and I have already donated two to Bobby Weir (guitarist from Ratdog & the Grateful Dead) and his family to grow in Marin County (Northern California). I will grow one and offer the last one to his last wife, family, or the Estate. This way, California will have a chance to grow this rose and see how it does out here.

As this is the 10 anniversary of Jerry's passing, we are all working together to hopefully have it out by the end of this year.

Connie-Phyllis Diller will be delighted to know there is also a rose being named after Jerry. While she made us laugh, he made us sing!!

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

Another star in the world of hybridizing will be coming out for the PSW District Convention. Hybridizer Wendy White who works closely with Nor'East Miniature Roses aka Greenheart Farms, will be attending the convention along with Bill Devore, Manager of Nor'East, who will be a speaker on Friday.

This is shaping up to be a very informative and entertaining weekend!

Suzanne Horn

• blsmith
    19 years ago

To meet Julie Newmar at the Armstrong Show in the Fall was wonderful. She is elegant and beautiful inside and out.

She was wonderful with the kids, my daughter won best rose in the kids/teen class and Julie was so interested in hearing my daughter tell her about the rose, how she groomed it, etc. Julie being a celebrity judge, whispered in her ear, "I chose yours...." What a thrill for a kid OR ANYONE for that matter!

Thank you Chris for all of your hard work....we are looking forward to a wonderful weekend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Armstrong Show

Sponsored