Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beberose_gw

San Diego has no Problems - We are ready!

beberose
19 years ago

Hey everyone: Come to sunny San Diego and exhibit your roses

on April 29th and May 1st. The park is ready for us. We have made some great arrangements for Exhibitors. The lunch is marvelous. Don't listen to Chris. He has been talking to the wrong people again! I was surprised he was taken in like that. The weather is going to be great.

San Diego Rose Show Chairman!

BeBeRose

Comments (7)

• Chris_Greenwood
    19 years ago

Now BeBe - -don't shoot the messenger.

Chris

• blsmith
    19 years ago

Hello Bea,

Please post the memo titled "Urgent Message for Rose Show Exhibitors" from the SDRS Web Site on this forum for people to understand the events concurrent that day at Balboa Park - I think it will be helpful.

In Chris's defense, memos from SDRS have been circulating via email and convey some difficulty. I spoke to SDRS President, Ruth Tiffany at the PSWD convention this weekend concerning the email received. Her words of advise were to get there early (5:00 am) and bring water.

Some people drive over one hundred miles to shows and if exits/streets are blocked, it could be very frustrating if large areas of access are blocked and they do not know their way around San Diego.

Please clarify :~) so everyone can enjoy beautiful San Diego!

Thanks a million!

Joe and Bren

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

To the Chairman of the SD Rose Show. We would like you to reiterate the logistics for exhibiting at your show. Specifically:
    1. Are you still suggesting that exhibitors arrive at 5AM for a 9:30AM deadline for entries? That is 4.5 hrs which is way too much time. Since you may not be able to get the judges there earlier for an earlier deadline how about doing something exhibitor friendly like promising to give out the awards at 12Pm on saturday rather than forcing the exhibitors to return (if they win after spending a grueling long Saturday in traffic going to and leaving the show) on Sunday for a 3 pm award ceremony.

2. Have the water & parking problems been resolved? If so please advise resolutions.

Mr. Chairman, your show sounds like a very tough one for exhibitors and simply not worth the effort. We have many nice friends in the San Diego area and we were looking forward to going to your show. However, unless the logistics situation changes we (and many of our fellow exhibitors )are either going to bakersfield or going to stay home.
    Mr. Chairman, if you changed the awards ceremony to saturday afternoon so that exhibitors would not have to return on sunday perhaps it might sway some exhibitors to go your show. I for one would definitely consider it.

At this stage of the game it is clear that you cannot change the date of your show which is in conflict with not just another rose show but now in conflict with the March of Dimes, Earth day, and who knows what else. However, one item in your control is the awards presentation. We have heard that many have requested that SDRS change this awards policy. Now is the time to show some appreciation for the exhibitor who will be getting up at 1AM to be there by 5AM(speaking for myself).

Finally wrt your comments about Chris Greenwood. In my opinion and I am sure shared by many rose people in Southern California & in the PSWD Chis is an outstanding and dedicated Rosarian who is not deserving of your abuse.

• kitty
    19 years ago

Exhibiting is exhausting enough as it is, even if we didn't have to drive 320 miles round trip, carry our own water supply, lug our roses several blocks just to get to the prep area, work in a cold dark parking lot without restroom facilities nearby, bring our own tables and chairs, starve to death, be held hostage in the parking lot for hours after we finish our entries, and then have trophies withheld so that the public can view the trophies for two days (as if the trophies are more important to the public than the roses!). I'm NOT a glutton for punishment, so I know exactly what I'll be doing on April 30th.

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

Kitty, I could not have said this any better. You hit the nail right on the head.

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

Ms. Chairperson,I have one question for you.AS a former exhibitor you are now doubt aware of all the stuff an exhibitor brings to prep the roses.
    How far is the entry area to where we have to park? Do we set up in the parking lot?

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

Mrs. Chaiperson, have not heard from you regarding my questions about set up area!
    Seems to me if "you are ready" you would address my concerns about setting up.

Can I assume it is a long hike from the parking area to where we can set up & then another hike to the entry area? If that be the case I will be drivng 5N vs 5S.
    why dont you just come back with an answer so all of us exhibitors know the real scoop.