Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gbebeh

newbie questions on novice entries

gbebeh
15 years ago

I'm a rose gardener who has gotten more serious this year.

I would like to try entering a local rose show this spring in the Novice hybrid tea category. I'm very new to all of this so my question is would any of these varieties be acceptable to enter? My best HTs that have very good blooms are:

Barbra Streisand

Black Baccara

Brandy

Pearl Essence

Pope John Paul 2

Bob Hope

Double Delight

Chicago Peace

The McCartney Rose

I know that Gemini and Moonstone are great exhibition roses but I don't have any of those. If I had a really great bloom would it be acceptable to enter any of these HTs?

thanks, gbebeh

Comments (6)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Get a copy of the show schedule. Some shows group all novice entries together into a single class, some shows separate them into separate classes (Novice HT/Grandiflora, Novice Floribunda/Polyantha, Novice Shrub, Novice Mini/Mini-Flora, Novice OGR). You can enter any variety into a class, as long as the entry fits the class description. For example, if the novice class says HTs/Grandifloras only, then you can enter any HT or Grandiflora into that class. But, you can only place one entry of each variety (you can't have two entries of Brandy in that class).

You would do best if the entry meets the usual criteria for HT entries (see the link below). But, don't be scared away. And, the fresher the entry, the bettter.

And, nothing stops you from placing an entry in the other, non-novice, classes, if the entry is really good. If you have two really good potential entries of Brandy, you can put one in the novice class and one in the non-novice class.

There are usually a few folks around who will help you with your entry, just ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: How Roses Are Judged by Robert Martin

• gbebeh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice. As of right now I plan to only enter the novice class and probably with one of my HTs,
    I grow some floribunda's but I'm not sure about exhibiting those.

I guess my question is are some roses just never entered anymore? For instance Pearl Essence is one of my best bushes and puts out almost "perfect" blooms. But if I entered that rose would it be inappropriate? Since most people show roses like Moonstone & Gemini?

thanks, gbebeh

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Not inappropriate at all! Enter it! Perhaps no one has seen a good, exhibition form, entry of Pearl Essence (I haven't).

Enter the floribundas. Please! Even in the main Floribunda class! I don't know where the show is being held, but if it is in a public space, it is great for visitors to see all kinds of roses and what can grow well in the area. Especially for Shrub and Floribunda classes.

People show roses like Moonstone and Gemini because those varieties are known "bankers" at rose shows. But, that doesn't mean that other varieties won't do well. I'm always thrilled when we get something new to judge and the entry is good enough to be considered for Queen.

Shows are tools to help educate the public. Enter whatever you can. More "color" on the tables is always appreciated by the show chairperson (at least it is in our shows).

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    15 years ago

There was a gal in our society who brought a Pristine bloom to the show. She didn't know what to do and one of our exhibitors helped her to groom it and fill out the tag. After the judging she found her rose on the head table,Queen of the show!

• gbebeh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok Thanks, I feel much more encouraged now. Of course I need to have some decent blooms to enter. i'm crossing my fingers that something will be looking good.

Any tips for entering floribundas? I grow them to, but I'm kind of intimidated by trying to have a spray ready.

thanks, gbebeh

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Fresh blooms.

Also, you can "pre groom" sprays by removing the large, terminal, bud and letting the smaller buds bloom. The smaller buds will bloom at about the same time, and make a better overall form (inflourescence) of a spray. This goes for any type of spray (HT, Grandiflora, floribunda, OGR, polyantha, shrub...). Try it before entering any shows, it is easy to do. (Oh, and to get a single bloom where there are multiple buds per stem, leave the large terminal bud and remove the smaller buds. This is easy to do and the best time to do it is when the buds are just forming, then you'll get little or no scarring.)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company