Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a Nice Purple Rose

Posted by cleanleaf z10/ca (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 26, 05 at 22:48

I am growing a new Austin rose called Grace for Mrs. Cleanleaf; She absolutley loves this rose. I do not believe this will be an exhibition rose as it does not appear to push long stems but she is a vigorous bloomer. The blooms are a lovely apricot color, the foilage a lovely shade of green not very big. Very enjoyable looking at this rose on our deck.

Mrs. Cleanleaf has informed me that she would like to find a deep purple rose (no red, no crimson,whatsoever) to situate alongside Grace. I saw a nice floribunda the other day at a nursery called Intrigue...Very nice fragrance, nice purple color. HOw big will this rose get? Dont want to overshadow Grace.

Can I get a few recomendations on other nice deep purple roses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a Nice Purple Rose

Intrigue is nice, fairly compact, a floribunda. Don't know how well it lasts in a vase, I'm sure someone else can answer that.

Midnight blue is one of the darkest purple without red overtones out there. Its quite new. It is a shrub and can exhibit in that class. It cluster blooms with smallish, fragrant blooms. I have a hard time taking pics of it as they tend to look redder in the pictures than they do to the naked eye. This one is hovering around 3 x 3 after one year.

The next rose season (2006) will bring the introduction of Ebb Tide from Weeks. See their website for pictures to drool over. It is a sister/brother seedling from the same batch that produced Midnight Blue and the Armstrong Garden Center's excluseive, Route 66.

Route 66 is another gorgeous dark purple.

A purple Austin would be The Prince but it might be too big for your desired spot.

Suz

o

For you HT lovers - get Della Reese -- my oh my -- what a fragrance and the early spring blooms are very purple. Warmer weather lightens up the color but not the fragrance.

o

Chris! You taunting devil! If you're not in California near an Armstrong Garden Center, how are you supposed to do that? Hmmm?

I have one, though. I was blessed by a GardenWeb angel who went and bought one, along with City of Carlsbad, and shipped them to me. She's only given me one bloom so far, but she's still pretty small.

Suz

o

We bought two Intrigue a few weeks ago. They are barely a foot tall but healthy as heck and one has the most beautiful bloom. It'a a rich, true purple. I can't wait for this rose to grow!

o

Paradise is nice and it's look alike miniflora Dr John Dikeman

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here