Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elaine_pawlikowski

Pink Sport of Veteran's Honor

elaine_pawlikowski
19 years ago

Has any one heard of a hot pink sport of Veteran's Honor(the color of Hot Princess)???

Thanks for any info ...

Elaine

Comments (20)

• ron_gregory
    19 years ago

Not I. I will be going to the banquet at the National tonight in San Diego and I will ask around as there are alot of people there from all over the states.

• rosebud
    19 years ago

Muncy told me he would be offering it next year with several other Eddie Edwards roses.

• PMVG57
    19 years ago

Is is named or registered yet?

• elaine_pawlikowski
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Rosebud - The rose that you are referring to is a cross between Veteran's Honor and Hot Princess. Not a hot pink sport of Veteran's Honor. The cross between VH and HP is supposedly very good. The form of Veterans Honor the color of hot princess and the strong necks of hot princess.

PMVG57 - No, it is not registered or named yet ... it just happened a few days ago. Grafting some now to see if they hold true. Form, color and petal count was great, not sure about necks (if they will inherit the weak necks of VH). Time will tell.

I was just wondering if anyone knew if a hot pink VH sport already existed.

Thanks

• kitty
    19 years ago

No, I've never heard of one, but I sure would like to get my hands on one. ;-)

• ron_gregory
    19 years ago

Elaine, I talked to Bob Martin and he has not heard of one. I also talked to Steve Jones who asked John Mattia, John said he thought he heard of one but don't know where. I be interested in the cross of VH and HP. I hope someone who grows roses on Fortuniana will get certified to ship to Ca. soon, I want some more Eddie Edwards roses.

• elaine_pawlikowski
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Ron,

Thanks so much for asking about the Veteran's Honor Sport. I too thought I had heard of one, but could not remember where. At this point I am going to assume that there is not one.

As far as the cross between VH and HP - it should be released early next year and I hear it is good. Eddie Edwards supposedly has a lot of promising seedlings - so there should be some exciting stuff over the next few years. Hopefully not all pink and white!

Sounds like the National in California was great - roses growing everywhere ... and the roses were good at the show even though there was a heat wave. Wish I had been able to attend.

Thanks again for asking around,

Elaine

• peter_rabbit
    19 years ago

Hi Elaine,

Good luck with your sport! You are going to have a fun year testing it. Keep us posted.

Finding a sport is like finding a treasure especially if it comes from a top exhibition rose.

Peter

• elaine_pawlikowski
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The sport is not mine --- it is a friends. They asked for my help since I have had two sports already which have done reasonably well - Natasha Monet and Miss Ada. Anyway, they just wanted me to help them go through the process of testing, registering, etc. I was just checking here first to see if anyone knew if such a sport already existed.

As far as fortuniana roses being shipped to California, I have been speaking with Ken Muncy (Muncy's Rose Emporium). As most of you probably know, Ken has just purchased 10 acres in south Georgia, and is in the proces of moving his nursery. Ken is working with Eddie Edwards and is currently testing alot of Eddie's new seedlings. Ken tells me that he is going to be certified to ship to California. Ken bushes are on Fortuniana and also some OGRs on own root, but mostly fortuniana. I have purchased many roses from Ken in the past and they are all doing great. He is having some complaints at the moment from buyers regarding his keeping up with shipping orders, answering emails, etc., but with him being right in the middle of moving, keeping both nurseries going and building a new home up in Georgia he is running like a chicken with his head off. Once he gets settled it will be great. He will have lots of new varieties from Eddie all on fortuniana and be able to ship to California. So, lookout ... It will be good.

• cindi
    19 years ago

It will be good. It will be good to why when I see those pink sports.

• ron_gregory
    19 years ago

Still need a way to get roses to Ca.

• deborah2003
    19 years ago

Any one know the status of this pink sport?

• arkroselady
    19 years ago

According to the American Rose magazine I got the other day there are two registered crosses between VH and Hot Princess hybridized by Eddie Edwards. they are named Here's Gert and Here's Sam. What a couple of goofy names for roses that will make great show roses based on their parentage!

• elaine_pawlikowski
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Unfortunately the cuttings/grafts of the pink sport that was discovered did not make it --- they all died.

The crosses sound interesting though - Always something new to keep our interest. And after the hurricane this weekend a lot of us here in Florida may have quite a few spaces in our gardens to try out some of these new varieties!

• slomo
    19 years ago

Ron

Johnny Becnel's Show Roses ships roses on Fortunia to California and has some of Eddies roses
    Mo

• ron_gregory
    19 years ago

Thanks slomo, but I want to find some price competion, $25.00 per rose gets fairly steep when ordering two or three of the various varieties.

• deborah2003
    19 years ago

Ron - Jame Mills at K&M will be shipping to California this year.. he also has Eddie Edwards roses. I "think" they are $17. The rest of his roses are $14... but he has to pay a $3 royalty per rose to Eddie Edwards.

• ron_gregory
    19 years ago

Thanks Deborah I heard about James and also Coolroses, but Coolroses may have been blown away by Frances. Will have to check that out. Haven't heard anything from Ken Muncy either.

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

DOes anyone have a list of the roses being offered by Jim Mills?

• deborah2003
    19 years ago

I have a current list.. Jim faxed it to me yesterday. I called to check on him after Ivan blew through. I haven't had time to make an electronic copy but if you have a fax machine I can fax forward it to you. Send me an email

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living