Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice on Minis?

Posted by manzomecorvus Austin TX 8B (My Page) on
Thu, May 10, 07 at 15:25

I am posting here instead of the mini rose forum because I thought y'all would be more knowledgable regarding cut flowers.

I currently have more than 4 dozen minis, but never seem to have enough pink blends for vases. I have decided I want to put in a small mini bed that will be specifically dedicated for extra cuttings.
My wants: good cut flower, good repeat bloom, and preferably, traditional "hybrid tea" form.

Good resistance to black spot and fragrance are "nice to haves". (we occaisonally get a extra wet spring that causes blackspot issues down here). Also, this bed will be in direct sun, so the roses must be able to perform well in heat, at least to mid '90s (no, I don't expect blooms in August!).

Due to the location of the future bed, I can fit probably 6 to 8 minis depending on the size. (If I could get some indication about bush size, that would also help. I have noticed that with our heat, minis generally get bigger than "catalog" size).

Here is the current list of possibles I am looking at:

Arcanum
Bees Knees
Bingo Queeen
Chattooga
Giggles
Minnie Pearl
Overnight Scentsation
Tiffany Lynn
Ultimate Pleasure
X-Rated

Can you give me some opinions on which of these would work, in your opinion? thanx!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice on Minis?

I can comment on a few on your list. Arcanum has beautiful blooms of white with coral edges, but it doesn't bloom all that much. Bees Knees is a great rose, but it is more yellow than pink. Chattooga appears to be pure deep pink. Giggles is pure coral pink and the bush will get enormous. I have seen it routinely reach 4 ft. in weather that isn't as warm as yours. Minnie Pearl has very pretty pink blend blooms, but the blooms are fairly small. Overnight Scentsation has very large blooms that don't hold much form. Tiffany Lynn is very pretty, but the plant will get a little large. X-Rated is very productive, with blooms that are mostly white with a pink blush.

Others you might consider include Soroptimist International, great blooms on a plant that is fairly large and wide, Jilly Jewel is on the lavender side of pink, but very productive and nice, and the new Leading Lady looks good.

o

Thank you so much Phil for the info! I love the photos I checked of Jilly Jewel - I had seen mauve and cruised right by it.

Guess I am off to get a bed ready for planting this fall!

o

Best of '04 is a miniflora worth looking at. I am a fan of all of Whit Wells' roses. Dr. Troy Garrett and Regina Lee are also great roses. Memphis Magic and Memphis King are both great reds.

o

Pierrine is a orange-pink mini.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here