Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_ladyred

Judging School in San Diego Very Successful

suzanne_ladyred
18 years ago

I'd like to take a moment to thank the San Diego Rose Society in conjunction with the Pacific Southwest District of the American Rose Society for putting on such an outstanding Judging School in San Diego's lovely Balboa Park last weekend.

I have attended a number of judging schools and seminars, and this was by far the best. The faculty was stellar, including International Rose Society President, Dr. Tommy Cairns, Pacific Southwest District Director Bob Martin, District Chair of Judges Bud Jones, exhibitor extraordinaire Cal Hayes, and other outstanding instructors and exhibitors including Rita Applegate, Dick & Sue Streeper and Col. Phil Ash.

Saturday's session took an in-depth look at the elements in the Guidelines for Judging Roses, helping the judging candidates as well as numerous other attendees like top exhibitor Gerry Youngewirth who just wanted to learn more about what the judges were looking for at the shows. The curriculum was especially tailored for those of us who were taking the test, and was very well presented. It was also lightened by the humor of Bob Martin & Tommy Cairns, as well as the entertaining rose show stories from exhibitors like Cal Hayes.

Sunday was the test - written first, and then the practical. The candidates had studied hard - not a frivolous person in the bunch - and all passed the written test. The practical was a real challenge on many levels, requiring the candidates to actually judge the roses using point scoring techniques and then justifying our decisions on paper. But we were not rushed and were given as much time as needed and we all did our best with it. Results should be back in a month or so from National.

I suspect that all the candidates did well. As previously noted, this was a serious and dedicated group, which included exhibitor friends Brenda & Joe Smith from Vista, Heidi & Terri Leavitt from Arizona, Linda Clark, some folks from Virginia, and my partner in crime, RJ.

A special thanks is due folks like Chris, Leah & Liz Greenwood, Dick & Sue Streeper and Bud & Kay Jones, who were in for the long run and worked the whole weekend so professionally to insure that this Judging School was a great success. Is this a great district, or what?

Thanks to all involved!

Suzanne Horn

Judging Candidate

(who is not giving up exhibiting anytime soon)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm