Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cool Summer Exhibition Roses

Posted by bigrosedad SF CA z10 hot2 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 05 at 19:32

Hi-- Since my heat index is only 1 to 2, I'm looking for suggestions for exhibition hybrid teas that don't need a lot of heat to do well. I've won most often with Kardinal, Lynn Anderson, Leann Rimes, Signature, Secret and Pristine. The orange Kardinal sport Maharishi shows great promise. Anyone know if that is the same rose as "Orange Kardinal"? Also, a few years back I remember that a pink sport of Kardinal was on the cover of American Rose Magizine. Anyone know who discovered it, what it is called and if it is available? Although hybrid teas are my favorite, I've won mini queen, dowager, victorian, classic and modern shrub and both floribundas far, far more often than queen. Figures, doesn't it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cool Summer Exhibition Roses

I was hoping someone more seasoned might have answered your question, but I'll share what little I know. First, I do know that Maharishi is Orange Kardinal, to be shown as Orange Kardinal.

As for roses that may do well in cool summer areas, that's not my forte as we get 100+ heatwaves. But it seems your fall weather is probably more pertinent than your summers. You just need to survive whatever type of summer you have and gear up for the fall show season. That being said, it seems like Vetgeran's Honor, Dublin and Gemini are missing from your line up -- though perhaps you grow them and it does not prefer your micro-climate. My non-exhibiting sister grows spectacularly the climber Don Juan and the floribunda Black Jade in the bay area.

Now if your question is what blooms throughout the summer, for me it has been the English rose Molineux and Abraham Darby, the floribunda Lavaglut and trumpeter, the polyantha Marie Pavie and La Marne, and the HT Lagerfeld. It also looks like my new Black Baccara is going to be an all summer bloom machine.

Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here