Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digger666

Yellow Exhibiton Roses?

digger666
18 years ago

Hello,

I'm looking for yellow roses for exhibiting, does any one know of any good ones?

Thanks

Emma

Comments (14)

• ron_gregory
    18 years ago

Emma there are not many, only three that I can think of right now and they are St. Patrick, Lanvin, Gold Medal. The first two are are HT's ,Gold Medal is a Grandiflora. I'm sure someone will come up with Shrubs and OGR's. I don't know if the the ones I have mentioned are available in the UK.

• roseman200
    18 years ago

I will assume that you mean real roses - so here is my list.

I agree with Ron on St Patrick and Gold Medal. Dont forget to include Elana. Outsiders that have a chance would be Midas Touch and Selfridges.

If you want a shrub - Graham Thomas - tough to beat when fresh.

For minis I have won with include Behold, Summer Sunset and School Days. Texas looks promising along with Cal Ploy. Is Fairhope still classified as a yellow?

• Chris_Greenwood
    18 years ago

What about Lanvin -- hard to grow - but a winner.

The new rose Phyllis Diller looks like it might exhibit too. Yellow grandiflora.

Katherine Loker - great ht form on a Floribunda

• arkroselady
    18 years ago

Yes, Fairhope is a yellow mini. That yellow sport of Bee's Knees, Erin Alonso, is a very good mini. There is also Luis Desamero, which is about the same color as Fairhope. I got Breath of Spring this year and it looks good too. It's a little darker yellow that Fairhope. And don't forget Buttercream, a miniflora.

• desertratrose
    18 years ago

Yellow Island (florist rose) is looking quite promising for me, but its still new to my garden. St. Patrick is certainly tops.

Apertif, the newer one from J&P, gave me some gorgeous blooms before I had to move it and killed it.

Suz

• Rgschwerdt
    18 years ago

Digger,

If you are looking for a dark yellow miniature,you should check out "Ty". It has a clean clear yellow color, with mini-flora med green foliage. Has upright growth, growing up to 36". You will be seening "Ty" as miniature queen at many shows in the future.

Ron S

• bigrosedad
    18 years ago

Unfortunately, depending on your local climate, you may not get enough heat for St. Patrick to have true exhibition potential. I live near San Francisco where it never gets very warm during the summer, and I gave St. Patrick away several years ago. The older yellow hybrid tea Helmut Schmidt has won Queen of Show three times at the San Francisco Rose Society's annual show, most recently in 1999. Both Gold Medal and Elana also do reasonably well here. What hybrid teas are winning big in the UK?

• sharky49
    18 years ago

Helmut Schmidt also won Queen of the Show this year,here in Salt Lake City at the Utah Rose society's annual show. I don't think it gets enough credit.

• ron_gregory
    18 years ago

Emma you might try the link below for the Teesside Rose Society. Don Charlton and Tom Foster belong or did. It maybe a little out of date but it does list some of the top 12 exhibition roses in the UK at that time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Teesside

• cactusjoe1
    18 years ago

roseman200, bigroseda,
    Do you mean "Elina"?

• peduncle
    18 years ago

These all look like great suggestions.

Has anyone tried showing Hopie Girl or Golden Age. I've seen some great blooms in the Spring and Fall on both of them and plan to show them myself this Fall for the first time.

• angelsmell
    18 years ago

Does anyone have pictures of Helmut Schmidt? Please post yellow roses...

• sharky49
    18 years ago

You can see pictures of this with this link:
    ttp://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=3244.
    It is a medium yellow and I grow it in zone 6.

• jont1
    18 years ago

The form on Hopie Girl wasn't good enough for serious exhibiting until a few popped up this Fall that looked nice. The blooms blow open too fast and it gets too loose in the spring and summer in my garden.

Sponsored