Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frenchcuffs13_gw

New Exhibitor needs advice

frenchcuffs13
10 years ago

I have been searching high and low for really good pruning advice. Kitty Belendez has a great article explaining leaving only 3-4 canes on Ht's. While i understand this, i don't get enough show quality blooms to take more than a few and only to a couple shows cause they take so long to recover.
Does this mean i need more plants or ?

I do have a couple floribundas, but even they take time to recover after first flush. How do people get continual cycles. Is it variety, type, pruning methods?
I'm lost on this, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Even better, tell me what you do.

Comments (7)

• dan_keil_cr Keil
    10 years ago

Roses will repeat their bloom as long as the spent bloom is removed. All you need to do is snap off the spent bloom.
    I show roses so I cut my plants back harder. A lot of roses like hybrid teas will repeat their bloom in 30-45 days depending on how many petals the bloom has.It also depends on the weather. Right now I am waiting for my blooms to open so I can put them in our State Fair. It has been cool and cloudy. We cut back the end of June to the end of the first week in July. We also don't cut the whole plant back at one time.
    General pruning:
    Look at the plant, what shape do you want. Remember you cut off the top and it grows out the sides, or cut the sides and it grows up. Hybrid teas need good strong stems so cut down to the second 5-leaflet. A lot of times you can see the new growth starting, so cut there.
    Keep the junk out of the plant.This is the tiny little canes at the bottom ofr the plant. They drain energy from the plant. Try to keep 3-4 good stems and keep everything else cut out. To get nice blooms that fill out well only have two blooms on at a time blooming on different stems. If you have two blooms on one stem I remove it or it might bend the cane
    Then as the buds are forming you can select what kind of bloom you want, single or spray by removing the tiny flower buds. If growing single stem remove all side growth
    I hope this helps a little
    Remember you won't hurt the plant by pruning it, your helping it!

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    10 years ago

Most of the major exhibitors select a few of the "banker" varieties, and grow 4 - 6 plants of that variety. They also do some selective pruning in order to get the timing right for shows. They will prune half of the (mature) plant on week 1 and the other half on week two.

Also, they know the bloom cycles of the varieties, and time the pruning weeks before the shows.

I recommend Robert Martin's book "Showing Good Roses" for any new exhibitor. Also, Bob's site, roseshow.com will give you an idea of the varieties that are doing well. You might also befriend some exhibitors in your area. We are friendly folks!

• joo003464
    10 years ago

Its been nice to go through your post.
    It has given me much knowledge & so many valuable information.

I'm feeling very nice to be here. so enjoyable... ;) ;) ;)

• joo003464
    10 years ago

Its been nice to go through your post.
    It has given me much knowledge & so many valuable information.

I'm feeling very nice to be here. so enjoyable... ;) ;) ;)

• ken-n.ga.mts
    10 years ago

I'm what you might call a "small time exhibitor". My garden's over the years have always stayed around 100 bush's of just about every type of rose. Paying attention to the heavy hitters I've learned how to snare my share of awards since my 1st show back in 1989. One of the biggest things I've learned is to go to exhibitor's gardens. Most are more then eager to show you what they grow and why they grow it. Then figure out what you want to grow for exhibiting. I always have a few roses in my garden that are not what many consider "exhibition" roses but I keep them because I like them. One of the most important things you will learn is to, pay attention to detail.Especially in the garden. As you go to rose shows you will learn how to "groom" a rose. Usually the are many class' to enter you're roses in. Pick the class that best shows what you bring. If you want to concentrate on a certain class of roses', try to grow at least 3 of each variety that do well in your area. I really don't like tooting my own horn but I have won many "Queens" in every class that has a queen. Mostly mini'/minifloras, OGR's, Florabunda's, Shrubs and 5 HT's. Lost count on how many Kings, Prince's, and Court's. I have a big box of everything. Anyhow, "ENJOY" what you do and don't allow anyone to get under your skin. There's alway's one or two at every show. Acknowledge them with a smile, be friendly, then ignore them (it drives them nuts). Basically what I'm trying to say is, enjoy what you do and pay attention to detail.

• frenchcuffs13
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I just wanted to thank you all for the fantastic advice. I did attend a few shows last year to learn and watch. Clerking taught me alot about what judges look for and it was fun!.
    I won best small garden with Red Intuition.
    I've gotten better at pruning and picking good roses to work with.
    I have a new job this year that doesn't leave me with much free time. I'm hoping to at least go to one show.
    Thank you again and happy growing!

• buford
    9 years ago

Also, lots of fertilizer and water. I was at an Open Garden of a champion exhibitor and she gives each rose 1-2 gallons every other day. I rarely water my roses unless it hasn't rained in awhile.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm