Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why don't roses do well in a hort show?

Posted by sybl z6 VA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 08 at 17:53

Today, as I have for many years, I entered specimens in a regional horticultural show. The flowers were beautiful and for the very first time, my roses were completely without blemish and were exquisite. I got blue ribbons for all 9. My question is: Why are roses never considered for any of the big "Best in Show" or "Horticultural Excellence" awards? The flowers that are usually picked are plants you "put out there and just go cut on show day". Lots of glads, liatris, magnolia but one gorgeous cactus flowering succulent (that one I "got"). Anyway, I work very hard on my roses all year long and they were absolutely perfect. No one loves roses like we rose people do!!! I just don't understand what's wrong with these people!! (;)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why don't roses do well in a hort show?

Well, we can only guess - not having been there. My guess would be that the judges don't really feel comfortable judging roses since they don't grow them themselves. Thus they give the top prizes to the plants they are familiar with and feel comfortable judging.

o
RE: Why don't roses do well in a hort show?

I use to show at a Garden Club Show in Peoria. Every time I showed I always got the Best in Show award, the tri colored ribbon. But the reason is one of the judges is a ARS judge and a Garden Club judge!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here