Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strawberry Romance

Posted by Jont1 Midwest (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 20, 04 at 2:14

I planted a Strawberry Romance this spring after seeing some beautiful pics and some raves here on the forum. The first blooms were pretty bad--very small and pure cabbage with not a lick of form or substance to speak of during the spring bloom and I thought I had made a big mistake. The plant was very spindly and didn't appear to be very vigorous either. However, I have two new blooms that have just opened up this week and they are truly beautiful specimens--definite head table material with beautiful high pinpoint centers and striking strawberry pink coloration. Also, the plant appears to have made it over the hump and has really started taking off with good healthy foliage growth and good strong canes and the blooms have plenty of substance. If you have this rose, don't give up on it too early!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strawberry Romance

Hi Jont1, I've heard the same thing from others who have Strawberry Romance. The plant needs some time to get established but once it does it can be very beautiful. Mine are all doing great. I saw where it won King at the Butte Rose Society show in northern California last May. Do you have Golden Age, Hollywood Star or Hopie Girl? My Hopie Girl is now 6' tall with one cane having four others on it each 2' long with a beautiful single bloom.

o

I have both Strawberry Romance and Hopie Girl. Strawberry Romance is doing the same thing to me. It didn't start out very impressively, but it has come along with some nicely shaped flowers. The color, however, isn't very intense for very long.

Hopie Girl is another story. It has done well consistently. It has become a good little workhorse for the yellows and shows good bloom form although it opens fast. It has gotten bigger than I thought it would at first.

o

My Hopie Girls do best in the Fall when temperatures are cooler and it can benefit from the slower growing temperatures to add petals and size. Yes, it can get large as it is a very vigorous grower. I had one basal cane this summer that produced four other canes at the same time, each of which was over 2' long with perfect exhibition form. If I would have restricted it to only two canes they would have had even bigger blooms. I love it!

o

• Posted by Roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Fri, Aug 27, 04 at 10:56

I'm really glad to see this posted! After the not so great start, hopefully others will rethink shoveling their SR.

Thank you for letting us know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here