Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lori_from_ny_5

Memphis Convention Update

lori_from_ny_5
18 years ago

Being a New Yorker, and watching all of the devastation going on from Hurricane Katrina...these tragedies remind me once again what our state went through on 9/11.

Our hearts go out to all of our many 'rose friends' living in the New Orleans and surrounding flood areas. They have too many worries about (food, water, shelter......life and death issues...) to worry about their beautiful rose gardens or have thoughts about attending a rose convention in nearby Tennessee.

However, with such a catastrophe as this.....are there any plans of canceling the Memphis Rose show because of potential problems with the weather, airlines, gasoline, power supply, accessible roads to and from the Memphis, etc. ???????

Local radio stations are raising over 2 million dollars to donate to the Red Cross as a way to provide some relief to these unfortunate families. Hopefully more cities around the country are contributing to these organizations.

How else can we help our 'rose friends' and others that are in need?

Comments (5)

• arkroselady
    18 years ago

If you go to www.tenarky.org there is a letter from Marilyn Wellan describing some of the devastation down there. At the end it says that she hopes to see us all in Memphis. I assume this means the convention is still on.

• phil_schorr
    18 years ago

The local rose societies in Memphis have far too many financial commitments to cancel the convention at this late date. Unless the hotels, bus companies, caterers, etc. would allow them to cancel their contracts without cost, they simply couldn't afford to do it. It isn't just a simple matter of deciding to cancel. Cancellation would cost them many thousands of dollars.

I think we will go, just to help the Memphis clubs financially if nothing else, we will see if there is something we can do to help the disaster areas, and we will try to learn how our friends from Louisiana and Mississippi are doing.

• lori_from_ny_5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Phil for the update. I remember Judging at the New Jersey District Rose convention shortly after the 9/11 tragedy. The local societies experienced some of the same circumstances ....just too much money etc. invested in trying to cancel the show.

Needless to say, many exhibitors didn't attend that 'excellent convention' .......some of their families, friends and livelohood were affected by the tragedy.

• Barb_TN
    18 years ago

Obviously,we are all very touched by what is going on in the southeast. Like many, many others, I personally have just spent four days trying to locate a friend that no one had been able to find and who was in the path of the severe damage. Luckily, that has turned out well.

Lori, I am touched by your sweet compassion and concern for all of these people.

From a purely pragmatic approach, Phil is right. Cancelling the convention is not even an option because of the contractual obligations we have entered into.

Secondly, I am not certain that I would be comfortable in making this decision for others, even if it were an option. One of the unique things about people is that we all handle crises differently. I know there are many that may have planned on attending the convention that are simply too overwhelmed at this point to even consider it. We empathize with these people. However, I have talked to and heard from many people directly affected by Katrina that say they are still looking forward to the convention. Some will come to escape from the devastation for a few days, some will come to hold on to some degree of "normality" and some because of their love for roses and rose friends and the happiness and comfort that brings them. If they decide that they are willing and able to come, we especially welcome them. We look forward to seeing all of our dear rose friends, but this year, seeing those from the southeast will be especially precious!

• lori_from_ny_5
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Barb, thank you for your remarks. My message was accidentally sent before it was completed .....and I couldn't amend it until you added your comments.

First of all.....livelohood should have been typed livelihood. (Bad typist here.)

Secondly, I wanted to further ask whether anyone from the deep south would be attending the convention? Are there going to be many roses exhibited from our friends in the neighboring states of Alabama, Mississippi, Florida and northern sections of Louisiana. I hope so.

Ron and I were fortunate to attend the Shreveport Rose Convention last year. However, I regret I never got to visit New Orleans a few years ago. Now, I probably never will.

We also are looking forward to seeing our dear rose friends..... and yes.... seeing those from the southeast will be especially precious!

Sponsored