Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_george_gw

Should a collection of 3 roses match or be beautiful?

kathy_george_gw
19 years ago

Need advice for the future. If one is considering a collection of 3 HT/Grandifloras or 3 minis or whatever (One bloom per stem, different varieties), is it more important that each cut rose (flower and stem) be top-notch or is it more important that they "match?" Ideally, one would do both. However, if one perfect specimen is bigger (4.5-inch bloom and thick stem and big leaves) and one perfect specimen is smaller (3-inch bloom and thinner stem and smaller leaves), should one leave one perfect specimen behind and opt instead for a moderate specimen that is same size?

I went to State Fair and entered rhubarb - which required 6 stalks. I selected good-looking healthy specimens like those I'd pull to make a pie. They were all the same height, red for 2-3 inches on bottom, and leaves clipped to show 1-inch only on top - but nice straight, unblemished 18-inch or so stems - all stalks looked good, but some were thicker than others.

First and second-place winners of rhubarb were a variety that was red for much of the stem - good for them! But others looked like mine - green, with 2-3 inches of red. Third place was 6 stalks all thick. Fourth and fifth places were 6 stalks all thin!!!! Mine looked healthier, but they were mixed, with some canes big and some thin. For roses, is it more important that the roses match? Or tht each is perfect?

Thanks for your advice! Kathy

PS What about 3 floribunda sprays? How do they match?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES