Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peduncle

O'Rilla

peduncle
19 years ago

Hi is anyone else growing this rose? I'd like to know what you think of it. Mine have been beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: O'Rilla

Comments (23)

• PetRose
    19 years ago

I grew it in Pasadena and am looking forward to trying it in Arizona. I saw some blooms in Lynn Snetsinger's garden last weekend which were beautiful and suggests it does like some heat. But then I also saw a spectacular specimen as King of Show, entered by Don Ballin, at the Illinois-Indiana show several years ago. (I voted for it as Queen). Its a russet with excellent form and a unique color for an exhibition form HT.

• peduncle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I remember when Don Ballin had that rose in Chicago. It was very pretty. I'm told my link above doesn't work so I am going to try another link. I hope this one works. Please let me know if it doesn't.

Here is a link that might be useful: O'Rilla

• CarolinaViolet
    19 years ago

I've seen O'Rilla in bloom. It is absolutely gorgeous! The color is awesome, and obviously grows very well here in the South. Two more favorites of mine are Hopie Girl and Delicate Lady. Hopie Girl is a beautiful shade of yellow and grows very tall. The blooms on Delicate Lady are a soft white with a pink center and leaves you with no doubts as to how she got her name. You'll definitely want all of these roses in your garden!

• sharky49
    19 years ago

I tried looking on the Help Me Find website to see who was selling this rose and this is the message they posted-"We are trying to locate a source for this rose as one or more individuals are interested in purchasing it. "
    Does anyone know where this can be purchased?
    Thanks in advance.

• peduncle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I just looked on HMF and under the breeders comments it says it will be available at Walmarts, Kmarts, and Targets nationwide in the Spring of 2005. I think maybe something happened when HMF changed their format to have a menu on the left side of the page. I am going to write them and point out what you found.

• margaretk
    19 years ago

Got mine from Steve Singer - Wisconsin Roses. It's not listed on his website this year, but it would be worth calling him about it. It's a great rose - nearly every bloom is exhibition form. Color is unique and beautiful. My experience is that once it gets going, it's rarely without blooms.

• peduncle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Margaret I think you are right about this one being a nice rose. Wisconsin Roses has stopped selling it but I understand it will be available at Walmarts this Spring.

• kokosrose
    19 years ago

The hybridizer, John Sheldon, is very high on this rose. I'm going to get one even though it is from walmart.

• peduncle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I hope you will report back on what YOU think of it. I'd like to know.

• pandy
    19 years ago

Regans carries a number of John's roses..you could try them.

mari

• Chris_Greenwood
    19 years ago

You can probably find this variety in packages under the 'Certified Roses' banner.

• peduncle
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Chris, I'm confused. Are you saying to look for packaged roses with Certified Roses brand name on them and see if one is O'Rilla or are you saying you can buy packaged roses direct from Certified?

• DownEastKen
    18 years ago

I was at John Sheldon's this past week. Another great rose he has hybridized is Hollywood Star. I now have Hopie Girl and O'Rilla, great roses too.

• desertratrose
    18 years ago

I added Strawberry Romance and Golden Age from John Sheldon's lineup this year. I wish he was hooked up with a better outfit than Certified Roses as their quality really doesn't impress me much, but his roses certainly do. I'm rarely very impressed with first flush roses, but the ones on both Strawberry Romance and Golden Age made me take notice and I'm very eager to watch these two as they mature. Hollywood Star is on my list for next year and now I'm going to have to watch for O'Rilla too.

Suz

• peduncle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm not sure how Delicate Lady would do in your heat but it certainly has plenty of petals. Hopie Girl is a horse in most parts of the country but may have too few petals for exhibition in your heat. These might be worth a try at some point. I'd like to know how they do if you ever get them.

• jont1
    18 years ago

I have O'rilla, Hopie Girl, and Strawberry Romance. I love the flower or SR but the darn bush just doesn't grow for me. Hopie Girl is the most vigorous growing and blooming machine in my garden. Fall flowers are much prettier-better formed-than spring and summer blooms were. O'rilla has grown pretty well, had a little mildew just this past week, and produces scrumptious blooms that I adore. I think this one will be better next year when it has matured a bit more.

• Rgschwerdt
    18 years ago

I beleive there was a name change. Look for the rose under the name of "Rilla".

Ron Schwerdt

• peduncle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rilla was the code name for O'Rilla before it was registered and some plants name Rilla may not actually be O'Rilla. The registered name of this rose is O'Rilla. I know Bobbie Tate was selling it, you might try Tate's Nursery for a source other than one of the mass marketers.

• phil_schorr
    18 years ago

Actually, the registered name for the rose is RESilla. As with many other hybridizers, John Sheldon chooses to register his roses under a code name. It has been sold under both Rilla and O'Rilla.

• Rgschwerdt
    18 years ago

This brings up the question. The fact that a rose is sold under two different names, does not mean it can be exhibited under both names. For the benefit of posters and others monitoring this post, it be pointed out the correct name the rose should be exhibited. Being that a majority of names published in the handbook are derived from the Combined Rose List, and it list the approved name as âÂÂRillaâÂÂ. OâÂÂRilla is but an alternate name, a commercial synonyms.

The 2005 ARS List of Official Names of Approved Exhibition Names âÂÂAENâ publication, also list âÂÂRillaâ as the approved name it should be exhibited. Looking in the 2006 Hand Book âÂÂOâÂÂRillaâ is listed as the approved AEN. While the Hand Book is the latest ARS publication and final word in judging, is it correct and the other two publications wrong?

At Present, there are other rose names listed in the Hand Book under a roses synonym. At this point, am in the process of weeding out these roses.

Ron S

• peduncle
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It's unfortunate there is confusion regarding the name of this rose. The only aka shown for O'Rilla on HelpMeFind is RESilla. It is my understanding Certified Roses, and their agents, have the exclusive rights to its propagation and marketing. This rose is only sold under the name, O'Rilla, which was given to it at the time of its official inroduction in 2005. Obivously anything sold prior to this time would not have been authorized and any name used by an unauthorized nursery, then or now, may not agreed with its official name.

• phil_schorr
    18 years ago

I contacted John Sheldon this summer and asked him which was the correct name. He told me it was O'Rilla. That is why the name was updated in the latest Handbook and will be changed in the 2006 Official List. My understanding is that a few nurseries initially misunderstood the name and started using Rilla in error. Unless John Sheldon tells us differently, O'Rilla will continue to be the AEN.

• Rgschwerdt
    18 years ago

Thanks Phil.

Ron S

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz