Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cleanleaf

Neptune

cleanleaf
19 years ago

Is anyone , anywhere seeing any decent blooms on this rose?

The rose is very vigorous, but so far not much to speak of for exhibition. In addition this rose being a mauve color it fades very fast..

Lets talk about it.

Comments (13)

• ron_gregory
    19 years ago

I don't think I can give this rose a fair review yet. I've only had it since Feb. from the Pacific Rose Auction and it was rather beat up. Also, this summer has been very brutal on my newest roses so, I will wait a while before I say yea or nay.

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

I'd have to second Ron's opinion. This summer has been brutal on many of my roses, leaving charred canes on countless bushes.

I have not yet seen anything noteworthy on my Neptune. Blooms are small, form is iffy, and color fades fast. I am not hearing good things from anyone thus far. However, I will give it through the fall to make a fair judgment before showing it the door.

• Rachel_SoCal
    19 years ago

I obtained one in Feb. of '03, so it's had about a year and a half in this yard. I've yet to see a show bloom. If I don't see anything during this Fall show season, it will be shipped out to sea where it can do its "godly" thang

• CABILLW
    19 years ago

Our Neptune was on the Court of Honor last April at
    the San Fernando Valley Rose show. Time will tell if
    we get to see another one like it.

Connie
    Coastal Long Beach

• Chris_Greenwood
    19 years ago

I have seen some 'Queen-quality' blooms while this rose was been tested for AARS. Last year, we saw a couple of great blossoms at the Orange County RS show.

I think it might be a coastal rose. Time will tell.

• DameAileen
    19 years ago

I got this rose from Pacific Rose auction. It's blows fast in the heat and I have not seen any exhibition blooms at all. The worst part of it is that my "Barbara Streisand has more fragrance than this one. It has been very slow to repeat.

Evelyn

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

Well, the good thing about getting rid of roses is that it makes more room for the new introductions that you thought you'd never find room for.

• amandahugg
    19 years ago

To throw a variety out with less than one year's observation is a crime. I've heard the spring bloom is the best on Neptune. You should at least let it try.

• PMVG57
    19 years ago

First year for mine, hasn't been too vigorous in AZ so far, but looks to be coming out of the summer sizzle pretty well now that we are starting to cool off. I'm going to bud it over onto fortuniana this winter, see if that helps it's vigor in the heat and produce any show quality blooms.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    19 years ago

It's the first year for mine. It has reasonably good health. It doesn't get the disease problems that other lavenders do. It grows well enough and blooms fairly regularly. Flowers are on the small side in the heat. Color seems to hold okay, but fragrance is iffy. As to show form, not usually, if at all. As a garden rose, its okay, a keeper. As a show rose, I don't see it. Maybe it needs another year.

• cleanleaf
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I set this rose free this winter. The bush ws very vigorous but the bloom quality was not even garden worthy. The size was poor and the color faded terribly. Normally a rose gets sit in my yard for 2-3 yrs..This rose ws so bad it could go after year 1...

• desertratrose
    18 years ago

I saw blooms at our local rose show this past Saturday that were to die for and then saw the bush live in its home on Sunday at the rose society's picnic. They have it on the east side of the house and its obvious that all their gorgeous, stunning roses are babied magnificently. Mine isn't half the bush theirs is, but shows promise if I would get the mites under control and get my ph and fertilizing regulated properly.

Suz

• aaron_zone7
    18 years ago

The blooms fry in the heat here and shrivel the day they start to open. The bush grows good with great foliage. If I'm not mistaken, the rose was first named, "Beyond Babs." That would explain the petals that burn in the heat here.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?