Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborah2003

English Box advice needed

deborah2003
19 years ago

Okay I have decided to try my hand at the English Box.

Our rules do not allow 6 of one variety. The choices are 6 each of a different variety, or two each of three varieties, evenly matched.

So when arranging two each of three varieties... is it better to pair them side by side on the box or mix them up?

Comments (12)

• Chris_Greenwood
    19 years ago

Too bad the rules don't allow for all of one variety. Here's my suggestions.

1. Try to use only flowers with the same general shape. The should also be at the same stage of being open.

2. When using two varieties - down the sides.

3. When using three varieties -- pair them across for each other. The darker colors at the bottom with the lighter colors blending to the top.

4. When using six different varieties -- I would also tend to put the darker or heavier colors at the bottom and blending to the top.

But remember -- it must be pleasing to the eye and colors should not clash.

Good luck

• deborah2003
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you SO much for your help. I was hoping for 6 of the same as I was going to use all Black Baccara or all Hot Princess. I don't think mixing either two together with a third will be pleasing so I am off to scavenge in the garden. I may be stuck with one each 6 varieties as I am not sure I can find 3 pairs that blend well.

• ron_gregory
    19 years ago

If I'm doing two varieties I like to alternate them instead of two rows, otherwise I do like Chris mentioned.

• Chris_Greenwood
    19 years ago

Thats a good pattern too. But it must be pleasing to the eye.

• deborah2003
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I received a blue ribbon but the trophy went to a more experienced challenger who had huge mini flora blooms on the mini english box and I took a third place ribbon for the HT english box.... my roses for this entry were not as "queenly" as my competition but it was fun.

I really appreciate all of your help and I will do better next time.

• george_mander
    19 years ago

Check out my E-boxes (minis only!) on HelpMeFind.

I have been winning every E-BOX entry since 1998 in shows in Wash. State and here in Vancouver, BC.
    For my trophy winning Challenge Class entries (not only e-boxes) click on the HMF link below.

George Mander

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind Roses

• deborah2003
    Original Author
    19 years ago

George.. great photos!!!! I see what you mean about the triangles.. very eye catching. I am looking forward to future competitions.

• lori_from_ny_5
    19 years ago

I prefer the blooms to be all of the same variety, whenever possible, or displayed George's way with the alternating blooms forming triangles when using 2 varieties. (Nice pictures George!)

As a judge and an exhibitor, I find it very difficult to select 6 different varieties that are really compatible and 'eye catching'.

• george_mander
    19 years ago

Yes Lori,

It is extremely difficult to make an e-box with 6 varieties. As you look at my photos on HMF, I did a few where it called for 6 different varieties. Of course I prefer one or more varieties where I try to use at least 2 varieties which always give you a colorful 'eye catching' display.

George Mander

Below the link to an other 160 + photos of mine on HelpMeFind.

Here is a link that might be useful: G. Mander's photos on HMF

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    18 years ago

We just learned how to make English Boxes out of cardboard and velveteen...

Question - is there anything in the rules stating that the background of the english box has to be 'black'?

Just curious...

• george_mander
    18 years ago

Hello decobug ,
    The background of the english box is black at one local RS and the other local RS's background is green.

It depends on the RS rules, so you better ask about it.
    Check out my throphy-winning E-boxes on HelpMeFind Roses.
    Link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: HelpMeFind Roses

• Jean Marion (z6a Idaho)
    18 years ago

I saw your boxes and printed some out for inspiration... I'll ask at the rose show meeting Monday night. One guy was under the impression that I could do any color I wanted... (i.e. dark blue for lavender minis etc...)

Sponsored
Carl Williamson Designs, LLC
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Nationally Acclaimed Interior Designer | 2x Best of Houzz