Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phil_schorr

ARS Show Certificates

phil_schorr
18 years ago

Earlier this summer I told you the ARS had established an ad hoc committee to review the ARS show certificates and make a recommendation for the future. That committee had Chris Greenwood, Kitty Belendez and Steve Jones as members, with me as Chair. We did agree on a recommendation and presented it to the Board in Memphis. The Board easily approved the recommendations. I will now work with Staff to make sure they are started properly.

The certificates will go back to the look they previously had, with the logo embossed on foil for those classes having Queen, King and Princess, and stemped in gold, metallic ink for the rest as most of the certificates had prior to the Mini-Floras. Further, all the certificates will be set up with exactly the same layout so the results can be printed by computer for those clubs that prefer to do so. Arrangement certificates will all be standardized and done in the same manner as horticulture certificates, except that their paper color will be different to make the separation of the two groups easier.

Thanks to Chris for his design work, and to Kitty and Steve for their great advice and counsel. I think everyone will be happy with the result.

Comments (5)

• Jeri_Jennings
    18 years ago

The certificates will go back to the look they previously had, with the logo embossed on foil for those classes having Queen, King and Princess,

*** THANKS Phil, for this news. It is welcome.

As Calligrapher for the Santa Barbara Rose Society's show this past Sat. (Oct. 1), I had my first close look at the despised "new" certificates. Now I know why there were so many complaints! The best description I could come up with was "chintzy," and I know I could have printed much better myself, on my color laser printer.

Jeri Jennings

• suzanne_ladyred
    18 years ago

Dear Phil,

As one who was extremely vocal in my opinions about the prior certificates, I want to be one of the first to THANK YOU and your talented committee of Chris Greenwood, Kitty Belendez and Steve Jones so much for all you have done with regard to the redesign of the certificates.

In addition to giving us the "look of royalty" back on our trophy tables, the work that you and your committee have done has renewed my faith in the ARS. The opinions of members really are heard and considered, and if possible, acted upon.

Thank you again so very much for all you have done.

Suzanne Horn

• prillzilla
    18 years ago

This is great news.

Jeri, while you were calligraphing in Santa Barbara I was doing the same in Carlsbad. It was my first time with the new certs too. And I found that there was really no space for the name of the rose on those weird blue & red certs. There is a space for "Awarded to:" and "At:" but no "For:". I had to squish the name of the rose in between.

And next year when I am show chair for Pacific RS we were trying to figure out if we could do the certs on the computer because I will be too busy to calligraph. Standard sizes will be great!

I do have another suggestion if I am not too late. Some certs have the name of the rose first and others have the name of the person first. It gets really confusing when the name of the rose is also a person(especially when people are talking around you).

Thanks,
    Aprille :-)

• phil_schorr
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The new certificates will always have the same item in the same place on every one. The first fill-in line will be the name of the rose, the second the name of the exhibitor, the third the location. They will also all be spaced the same so they can be filled in by computer if the club wants to do it that way.

Please note this won't all happen right away. We have hundreds of the old certificates still in stock for some of the classes, and we can't afford to throw them away. As each class runs out, we will replace them with the new design so eventually they will all be the same. The Mini-Flora certificates will be done first, so they should be ready for the spring shows next year.

• petaloid
    18 years ago

That is great news!

As a former show chair and sometime calligrapher I look forward to high quality and uniformity in the future certificates.

Using a computer printer is a great option for societies without members who can do the hand lettering, and a consistent layout will facilitate that process.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES