Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborah2003

my first 'real' show.. need advice.

deborah2003
19 years ago

Okay.... this is it.. this weekend I am entering a real show. (Before it was only a novice show) One of the catagories is Class 16 Fragrant Rose Competition. "Any rose with a distinct fragrance, other than Minatures may be entered. Entries are limited to one per exhibitor. Judging will be exclusively concerned with the selection of the rose with the most pleasing fragrance, with all other aspects of merit disregarded."

Check in starts at 6AM on Saturday.. which means I would have to be cutting flowers all week and refridgerating or at the very least the day before.. its not light here until 7AM currently.

So in your experience, when is the best time to cut roses for Fragrance? Morning, Afternoon, Evening? the day before or earlier?

Comments (16)

• kentucky_rose zone 6
    19 years ago

Deborah,
    I can't answer your questions, but how will the fragrant category be judged? I think it should be judged by blind/blindfolded people. How can one be impartial to judging the fragrance once the physical beauty of the rose has been seen? Best of luck!
    Kentucky Rose

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

I would say that for fragrance, you want to take something cut right before you leave. Refrigeration, IMHO, tends to lessen fragrance on some roses. I know it does for Marchesa Boccella. Once I've prepped everything else, I'll line up the rest and determine which one has the best fragrance, and will enter it.

Oh, and take a flashlight out into the garden early in the morning before leaving for a show to see if anything has opened up overnight or might be good enough for a challenge class. You never know! Good luck!!!

• kokosrose
    19 years ago

I also think it should be a last minute cut. The day before scout up your potential candidates so if it is dark when you leave, you will know where they are. Cut several so you can choose the best at the show site. Generally they loose fragrance when refrigerated.

• cactusjoe1
    19 years ago

I have only participated in 2 shows. I take cuttings for all the classes the same morning. Are you only entering the fragrance class. You should really try you hands at many of the other classes - you can enter as a novice. It's really fun! And you never know how your rose stacks up against others, who likely are first with the same gardening adverse conditions and predicaments as you do. You might surprise yourself. Try the climbers/shrubs/floribunda classes. And if you find HT classes daunting, try the open bloom classes.

• deborah2003
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I am also going to enter in some other classes...
    The Novice Class
    The HT Horticultural class
    The Mini Horticultural class

and I am seriously considering maybe a challenge class that might be fun like the English Box, Painter's Pallet, and maybe bloom in bowl. I have a Raspberry Swirls that I think will have too short of a stem to win in an HT class but will be a the perfect stage and maybe I could enter that in something else.

There are a couple of "heavy hitter" members who show.. One always wins the grand sweeps trophy, queen, and many of the challenge classes.

One thing the Tidewater Rose Society does is has a challege that extends over 7 months. You are allowed to enter a total of 7 roses... maximum 2 different roses each meeting. It gives you the opportunity to practice all summer for the show and also show some roses that might not be in bloom for a show. its judged by an ARS judge every month.. points are awarded and kept track... and at the final meeting of the year a trophy is awarded. That has been fun and has helped me to learn alot.

I am also going to clerk at this show.

• Megsroses
    19 years ago

Just a thought for the Painter's Palette.
    In most shows, this is the only class that is a color class, not a named variety class. This means that you will need to use roses by their color, not their variety names. Using colors from lightest to darkest is what this class is all about.
    We recently had a entrant dq-ed because she used different varieties, but they were the same or nearly same colors.
    Good Luck at the show.
    Meg

• hershigrl
    19 years ago

BTW, I've clerked for a few shows and was surpised at how this catagory is judged. The judges first eliminate all the entries with "bad form" (too far open, wimpy stem, etc.) and then *only* smell the ones that look good. So the moral of this story is be sure your fragrance entries look good too.

- HershiGrl

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

OK, 'fess up. You posted how you did in the English Box classes, what about the rest? Did you enjoy clerking?

• deborah2003
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I realy enjoyed clerking. I learned alot. It of course rained for several days upto and including the day of the show with high winds so roses in my garden were experiencing much bruising of petals and botrytis was on the rampage... so many of the roses I had planned to take didn't make it to the show.

I still tend to cut my roses too tight or too late. Most were still too tight the day of the show and nothing I did would help them to open up. I think most of the exhibitors in my area cut when the first out row of petals are perpendicular to the center of the bloom... but when I try that the centers are blown by the time I arrive at the show. I just need to practice with the timing more.

But still I did end the day with the following:

HTs and Grandifloras -
    Antique Brass - Red Ribbon
    Black Magic - Yellow Ribbon
    Gypsy Curiosa - Yellow Ribbon
    Hot Princess - Blue Ribbon
    Love - Blue Ribbon
    Superstition - Red Ribbon
    (oh and Hocus Pocus was D'Qed because the judge thought it was the "other" Hocus Pocus and wrote wrong class should have been Grandiflora on the tag.... I wasn't with that judge so I didn't know about it or I would have showed them in my CRL that there are TWO Hocus Pocus Roses and YES one IS a Florabunda!)

Minis -
    Bee's Knees - Blue Ribbon
    Glowing Amber - Red Ribbon
    Hot Tamale - Honorable Mention

Special Exibition
    Fragrant Rose Competition
    Mr. Lincoln - Blue Ribbon (mine lost the trophy to another Mr. Lincoln that was more open...almost full blown and therefore more fragrant)

Novice Rose Competition
    HT - Raspberry Swirls - Trophy
    mini - Glowing Amber - Red Ribbon

Challenge Class
    Three HT Blooms of one Variety in one vase - Gypsy Curiosa Red Ribbon
    English Box - HT (2 of each type HT) Superstition, Tickled Pink, Hot Princess - Yellow Ribbon
    Rose in a Bowl - HT Black Magic - Red Ribbon
    Rose Display in a Calico Can 11- 15 blooms - Blue Ribbon
    Minatures 3 of a kind in one vase - Glowing Amber- Honorable Mention
    Minature in a Bowl - Bee's Knees - Red Ribbon
    Miniature English Box - Glowing Amber, Bee's Knees, Erin Alonso - Blue Ribbon

Overall I was very happy with my day and left with a very nice Crystal Vase

• kokosrose
    19 years ago

Sounds like you did well at your first show. Congrats. Has the exhibiting bug bitten you now?

• gojo
    19 years ago

Our fragrance class is judged by the public. We put a small glass in front of each entry and a bowl of beans to one side, and ask everybody that passes by to smell each bloom and put a bean in the glass that's in front of the rose they think smells best to them.
    George

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    19 years ago

Hooray!!! Congratulations! Sounds like an excellent start!

• ken_se_fl
    19 years ago

Great day!!! It looks to me like you did VERY well.

• PMVG57
    19 years ago

Very well done!! May you continue to have so much FUN! Because, that's what it's (showing and sharing roses) all about!!

• cactusjoe1
    19 years ago

Congrats!

See, once you have got over the nerves of exhibiting for the first time, the bug really bites you!

• deborah2003
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you everyone for your kind words. I will exhibit again .. and again.. and again.

Sponsored