Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should cut off branches from Acavado tree?

Posted by alwong Ca USA (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 25, 05 at 0:45

In a Chinese gardening website suggest to cut off too many branches or cut off the top of it for growing fruits.
My Acavado tree has been planted five years already. There is no fruit at all in the past five years. I don't know why? Who can tell me about this? Please post me a message to advise me how to do it!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should cut off branches from Acavado tree?

Here's some things you need to consider...

1. Did you purchase the tree from a reputable garden center? Or did it come for a seed that you planted. Grafted trees are the best!

2. Avocados take 3-5 years to set fruit.

3. You might need another tree to pollenize.

Home-sprouted seedlings many times do not bear fruit.

Pruning is rarely done -- just let the tree alone and let it grow. Also, let the leaf litter remain under the tree. They should never be grown in lawns or flower beds.

Merry Christmas

o

• Posted by SuzyR Zn. 9 Nor.Cal. (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 1, 06 at 5:14

Hi Al! I bought a hass Avacado tree for my mother it was already grafted, what I learned about it was that they are very succeptable to wind burn so they need to be planted with a wind break , like maybe a building on one side and or another tree to protect it so thats what we did also the trunks are very suceptable to burn so you should keep them white washed , and I did cut out the cenrtal leader because of another hass avacado tree not far from her house if you don't cut out that central leader you wont be able to reach the fruit they are extremly tall trees, vase shape would be good bring the fruit down to a manageable height. Hers is about 3 yrs old I will be doing a secound pruning on hers this year, did you know that Avacados don't ripen till you pick them . Oh my aunt grew one from seed when I was a kid It didn't produce for about 9 years as I recall she eventually pulled it out it was really tall and taking its toll on her porch roof.
Good Luck
Happy New Year
SuzyQ

Here is a link that might be useful: Aditional Avacado Info

o

i grew a 3ft avocado tree from a pit. it was doing great while i lives in california then i moved out to nebraska and within days all the leaves fell off and died and now the tree just sits there looking like a skeleton. when i 1st got to nebraska it was below freezing so i kept it in the garage, then it looked like it died now the temp is up and iwater it and it gets tons of sun everyday and still nothing. and also all over the tree, like on the branch times there is some sort of white powdery stuff. what is that? did my tree die? or is there something i can do for it???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Exhibiting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here