Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hershigrl

Dr. John Dickman

hershigrl
19 years ago

Anyone know how big this guy gets or how floriferous it is? I want to grow it as a garden rose. I hear it's an exhibition winner so I thought you guys might know about it. :)

Also, who sells the miniflora "Nemesis" shown in the Annual. Is that a yellow reverse? It's a beauty!

- HershiGrl

Comments (15)

• PMVG57
    19 years ago

Just got two Dr. JD myself so I have no first hand growth knowledge, but in other AZ gardens I've seen mature plants in, it was reaching 3ft in height, with good bloom set.

'Nemesis' is a Robbie Tucker creation that I don't think will be coming out until late 2005 from Rosemania.....

• phil_schorr
    19 years ago

I've heard some reports that it doesn't bloom all that much, but I haven't grown it myself so I can't say for sure.

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

Dr. John Dickman gets pretty big as a plant, has excellent form on the blooms, but is a pretty stingy bloomer. I wouldn't recommend it for a garden rose.

Nemesis will be released by Rosemania, I believe, sometime in 2005. That's all I know about that one.

• steve_gw
    19 years ago

I've budded Dr. John Dickman to multiflora, and my plants looked like HT's by fall except the blooms were Mini-Flora
    sized. I thought they bloomed pretty well, throwing some nice sprays also. I've had it in the court several times already, a really nice rose!

• Paribear
    18 years ago

This is an excellent miniflora but I agree with Suzanne a little stingy with blooms. But the blooms you do get are worth it. I posted a picture of this miniflora on the rose gallery.

• cleanleaf
    18 years ago

I have one of these plants; Just got it this winter. Nice foilage, we shall see how the blooms come out.

• blsmith
    18 years ago

Hi HershiGirl :~),

Regarding Mini-Flora, Dr. John Dickman, we won Mini Queen with it last weekend in San Diego and Princess last Fall at Armstrong.

This is one of my personal favorites, the color the stunning - mauve with a red edge...almost exotic. It holds its center quite well. So far we have found it refrigerates well too. We cut arms full last week....we are getting an abundance of blooms here in Vista.

Joe and Bren

• desertratrose
    18 years ago

I got one from Bridges just a couple of weeks ago. Looks really healthy. Can't wait for blooms.

Suz

• blsmith
    18 years ago

{{gwi:1196174}}

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    18 years ago

I must say that my plant is doing much better planted in the garden than it did in a 5-gallon pot last year. The root ball didn't look especially large when I transplanted it. I wasn't going to give it primo garden space, but it's rebounding nicely so I will let it stay. For while.

• blsmith
    18 years ago

Dr. John Dickman won Mini-Flora Queen for us AGAIN today at the CCRS Spring Rose Show. Back to back weekends with big time huge competition. Needless to say, we love this rose.

Joe and Bren

• hershigrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow! That's a great picture. What a beauty! Thanks everyone for your input.

- HershiGrl

• blsmith
    18 years ago

Queen photo from last weekend in Vista.....

{{gwi:1196175}}

• blsmith
    18 years ago

This was our Vase of 6 entry from this past weekend in Ventura. It did not take the trophy but a blue ribbon. But we won Mini Court of Honor with it.
    {{gwi:1196176}}

• cleanleaf
    18 years ago

LadyBren, this rose has certainly done yomans work for you at the shows this spring..They seem to like that Vista, CA microclimate pretty good eh?

BTW, nice Mulan entry..Need to look up the parentage of this rose. I checked on my Color Magic bush after Ventura & observed that the foilage is definitley not the same as the Mulan you had..I guess that is good in that it is indeed a different rose.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz