Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jont1

Strawberry Romance

jont1
20 years ago

I saw pictures of this beautiful new HT. Has this been looked at as having potential exhibition quality??

Comments (26)

• pleasegrow
    20 years ago

Sure has. Look for "New show Roses" about half way down the page. You should find all your answers.

Thanks

John

• cleanleaf
    20 years ago

Several of these roses were auctioned off at the PSW auction in Arcadia, CA.
    The rose is Pristine X Gold Medal..COUld be good..Time will tell.

• ron_gregory
    20 years ago

I almost bid on it but was saving my money for the two 2005 intro's.

• kitty
    20 years ago

I was one of the lucky winners at the Pacific auction and look forward to seeing the first blooms of John Sheldon's 'Strawberry Romance' as well as his 'Hopie Girl'. I'm usually not much of a gambler when it comes to roses, but just thought I would try something different for a change. The pictures I have now seen of these two roses on helpmefind.com are simply gorgeous. I hope they look as beautiful in SoCal.

• cleanleaf
    20 years ago

Kitty, Goldmedal can do well in our area; Dont know about Pristine..I guess we will find out which one dominates.

Anyway, got the Strawberry Romance in the ground will see what transpires.

• deborah2003
    20 years ago

I picked up one at Walmart.. It wasn't the most healthy of specimens but the only other of it was half dead.. so I will keep my fingers crossed and hope it acutally take root. I am anxious to see if it blows in a day like Pristine.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    20 years ago

I went to Wal-Mart today to pick up some cat food among other things. I was just wandering through the garden department when all of a sudden two roses, poor homeless orphans that they were, were crying out. One was Strawberry Romance, and the other one was Hopie Girl. They just plopped themselves in my cart, and I just couldn't put them back on the shelf. These two along with a Gold Glow that I got at Lowe's will remain in their peat pots until they bloom so that I can see if they are who they claim they are. Then I will assign garden space to them if their identities are correct.

• cleanleaf
    20 years ago

Rose seems to be pretty good..Nice long stems, have not seen any blooms ..Will probably open in a week or two

• jont1
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I bit the bullet and purchased this through my local nursery. I was a little disappointed in the plant as it seemed pretty small all the way around and it has been in the ground 3 weeks now and shows no sign of breaking dormancy at all, but the canes are still green so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it breaks soon and is vigorous enough. I planted a total of 36 roses so far this spring and this Strawberry Romance, a Just Joey, and a Crystalline are all very slow to break dormancy. Everything else is going great guns.

• suzanne_ladyred
    20 years ago

I bought a plant of this rose at the Pacific Auction in February. It is getting ready to bloom for the first time, as in the buds are showing color. The problem is... the color is yellow. And this rose is a pink blend.

I am hoping that I got the right rose. The tag says SR. I'll be interested to hear what others report who bought SR at the Pacific Auction.

Suzanne Horn

• kitty
    20 years ago

Suzanne,

Perhaps you got 'Hopie Girl' instead of 'Strawberry Romance.' Pacific RS had both of these John Sheldon HTs at their auction; I bought both. The labels on the plants had a color photo of what each one supposedly looks like.

Neither roses are listed in the 2004 ARS Handbook, however, they are both listed on helpmefind.com and include color photos. 'Hopie Girl' is depicted as yellow, and 'Strawberry Romance' is shown as pink (which matches what is shown on the plant label). But when I looked in the 2004 CRL, Peter Schneider has 'Hopie Girl' listed as pink blend or red blend, (helpmefind says "medium pink"), and 'Strawberry Romance' as yellow blend. I e-mailed Peter Schneider and he says that is how ARS has them published in the magazine: "These registrations were published in the October 2003 American Rose magazine (pp. 34-35)."

I wonder who will get the dubious honor of receiving the first DQ for one of these roses, and the first judge to give the DQ? I hope that these two roses will be added to the 2005 Handbook ... with the correct color classes.

• ron_gregory
    20 years ago

I would hate to think someone named a yellow rose Strawberry Romance.

• kitty
    20 years ago

Well, Ron ... as they say, love is blind.

• cleanleaf
    20 years ago

My plant is starting to throw blooms..It appears to be yellow & red.

if someone can advise how I can attach a pic here when it opens I will..

• kitty
    20 years ago

Here is what John Sheldon (the breeder of Hopie Girl and Strawberry Romance) says about this issue:

"Sigh, I notified the ARS when the magazine came out showing the mix up and sent a letter to Marily Young, chairman of the registration committee informing her of the error. Apparently, nothing has been changed. I'm so sorry. I have no idea how the mix up occurred. Hopie Girl is a LIGHT YELLOW (ly) rose and Strawberry Romance is a PINK BLEND (pb) Kitty please tell Peter [Schneider]. I don't have his email address. You can give him mine to contact me directly if you like. I'll send Marily a follow up, but I thought she told me she had corrected these. Thanks for bringing it to me attention. The whole purpose of registering them was so they could be shown. -- John Sheldon"

• steve_gw
    20 years ago

Certified is notorious for mis-labeling roses!
    I bought two Hollywood Stars a couple years ago, they both bloomed yellow, the wrong color. May have received Golden Age another of John's roses. Buying Certified's roses is like playing Russian Roulette!
    You'll be lucky to find the rose you want, even luckier if the plant is the correct variety, and hit the jackpot if the rose actually lives a whole season!

• suzanne_ladyred
    20 years ago

Well, my plant finally bloomed. It is yellow with pink - and ugly as homemade sin.

Oh well, lots of new roses look bad in the spring. My new Neptune looks just as bad, and I am hearing good things from others about it. So once again, patience will out.

Suzanne

• Rachel_SoCal
    20 years ago

My first two blooms on this variety are .... U-G-L-Y. The coloration itself is okay. It's primarly pink with hues of yellow in the base of the petals, but what's ugly is the form. Very cabbagy. As Suzanne mentioned earlier, maybe later blooms will be better.

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

Good news! My third bloom on Strawberry Romance just opened with picture perfect form. The bloom was a little small and was a pale pink & yellow blend. But it was really pretty and gave me lots of hope for the future on this one.

Bottom line? I have put my shovel away. (Rachel.. take note and have patience.)

Suzanne

• Rachel_SoCal
    19 years ago

Suzanne,

Duly noted :-)

Almost without exception, I give a new bush two full years to prove itself because what might start out as the "ugly duckling" may end up the proverbial "swan".

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

The form was good, ugly looking rose (if there is such a thing). Pretty nice foilage..looks nothing like the picture card which came with the rose..Time will tell..
    Observed some nice basals starting up..Like to see those basals!

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

Monday I reported the good news - form on Strawberry Romance.

Well, last night Bob Martin gave me the bad news when he visited last night - virus is present on the plant, due to the fact that it came from Certified Roses.

Ahhhh well... something else to be looking out for.

Suzanne

• cleanleaf
    19 years ago

Suzanne, see no evidence of virus on my plant. What is it that Bob observed that brought him to this conclusion?

• suzanne_ladyred
    19 years ago

The obvious yellow patterning on a few of the leaves was a clear sign of Rose Mosaic Virus.

Oh well... you can't get the rose anywhere else, so I will see how it does. The other day I got a blue with an Affirm that is quite virused but that was not showing virus at the time.

Suzanne

• peduncle
    18 years ago

It's a year later. I'm just wondering how the blooms are looking now. This rose has won in shows and I've seen some incredible pictures of it on this site. But it seems it is a rose that does not like to be fertilized. It's a challenge that's for sure but when you figure out its likes and dislikes it can have stunning blooms. I don't think it's a rose for the faint of heart though. It's better to shovel prune it if you don't like it. There are too many other beautiful roses out there.

• jont1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My first blooms last year were cabbagey looking, but my blooms starting in the early summer on through the fall were beautiful indeed. It wintered quite well and has put on a couple more basal breaks this year. I am eager to see the blooms this year now that it is established itself. I am curious to see if the blooms this spring will be of good form or "cabbagey" like the blooms of last spring. Let's hope for no cabbage!!
    John

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES