Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Time for some stripeys!

bethnorcal9
12 years ago

I had a bad season last yr. Not much bloomed for some reason (at least compared to usual). Don't have as many pics of some of my stripeys as in other yrs...

But here's a few of them:

ALFRED SISLEY

{{gwi:1196787}}

BERRIES 'N' CREAM CL

{{gwi:1196788}}

CABANA

{{gwi:1196789}}

CANDY STRIPE

{{gwi:1196790}}

CLAUDE MONET

{{gwi:1196791}}

EDGAR DEGAS

{{gwi:1196792}}

FOURTH OF JULY CL

{{gwi:304240}}

GEORGE BURNS

{{gwi:1196793}}

GYPSY FIRE

{{gwi:1196795}}

GYPSY LANTERN

{{gwi:1196797}}

MARVELLE aka TROPICAL SUNSET

{{gwi:1196798}}

MICHELANGELO aka THE PAINTER

{{gwi:1196799}}

MOCKIN' BIRD

{{gwi:1196801}}

PAINTER'S PALETTE

{{gwi:1196802}}

PAUL GAUGUIN

{{gwi:1196803}}

ROEDEAN

SIMSALABIM

Comments (13)

• inga007

Lovely photos. What a big collection.
    I hadn't seen PAUL GAUGUIN before. Thanks for sharing your "bounty"

• inga007

• inga007

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Wish I could add some stripeys to your collection of beauties, but I don't grow any at all. However, I 've ordered Red Intuition for spring, so maybe next year I can join you.

Anyone got Red Intuition? I'd love to see it--close ups and full bush.

Kate

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

Well, it is about time, Beth. lol! Just what I needed today. I so LOVE your stripes! You know I want every one of them!

Kate, I have RI, it's a gorgeous rose! I was a little nervous about getting it because it's a florist rose and I didn't know how it would do in the garden and more so how well it would winter but it's great in both respects.

I don't have any bush shots this year. I never got around to them what with putting in the new bed and all. But I can tell you how it grows for me. It's very upright to about 4 feet and well branched to a width of about 3 feet. It blooms in fairly fast repeating flushes and likes to throw sprays of 2 or 3 blooms. The blooms are between 4 and 5 inches in size and last for at least a week, often longer in cool weather, on the bush and several days inside. It doesn't have any fragrance that I can detect though. It does get some black spot for me, most everything does here so I've learned to live with it, but I don't recall it defoliating completely. Hope that helps!

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OMG I can't believe I forgot RED INTUITION!

{{gwi:1196811}}

My experience with it is almost exactly like Seil's. It's one of my favorite roses. I have two of them. One is grafted on Multiflora and the other is probably on Manetti. Not sure if there's a whole lot of difference. But the Multiflora based one tends to grow a bit taller and does a little bit better overall. This bloom happens to be on the Manetti one (from Carltons).

Oh, and while I'm at it, I guess I should throw in a PINK INTUITION too. Not the best picture, but that was the best bloom it gave me last yr.

{{gwi:1196812}}

Don't you just LOVE the stripeys??

• TNY78
    12 years ago

I have Red Intuition ownroot from Vintage, but its on the slow train. I'm hoping in the spring it will take off! I just love its colors!

Beth, When it comes to modern roses, I love the oddballs! You've given me some more for my ever-growing wish list. All are beautiful, but the musy haves for me are George Burns (been eyeing that one for a bit), Simsalibim, Edgar Degas, Alfred Sisley..mmm...

Here are the ones I grow :)

Stars n Stripes mini
    {{gwi:1196813}}

Rosa Mundi (new plant last year, and this was its only bloom)
    {{gwi:1196814}}

Rock n Roll
    {{gwi:1196815}}

Purple Splash (I'm underwhelmed by this rose so far, might need a new locale)
    {{gwi:1196818}}

Oranges n Lemons
    {{gwi:1196821}}

Nicola mini
    {{gwi:1196822}}

Memphis Music
    {{gwi:1196824}}

Hey Good Lookin
    {{gwi:1196825}}

Chihuly
    {{gwi:1196826}}

Candycane
    {{gwi:1196827}}

The Great Speckled Bird (my only "not even on the market yet" rose...exciting!)
    {{gwi:1196828}}

All American Magic (this one still needs to proove itself)
    {{gwi:1196829}}

• serenasyh
    12 years ago

So Beautiful, Beth! I love you're stripeys and in spite of not having as "many" blooms that you mentioned, do treasure chests exist "plentifully"???? lol! So you should be very proud of your Treasure Chest! Makes for fun discovering from Lumpy-Legged Pirates like myself haha! So many favorites, I can't even decide.... Maybe ROEDEAN, MARVELLE, the list goes on and on! Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

Wonderful to see you here as well. I worry so! Haven't seen you or Boxo for AGES it seems!!!

I accidentally saw a hidden cache of Last roses in the season for my camera when downloading photos of Eluane, lol! so I need to torture the forum some more with ultimate lumpy dreadful garden photos, but probably won't post until Valentine's Day haha! Hope to see everyone soon!

Tammy, great additions to the thread!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

Oh thank you for those Red Intuition photos. Glad I asked--very helpful info. also! I really looking forward to getting Red Intuition in the spring.

If I had room, I might want to try Memphis Music or Simsalabim. I like that dramatic coloring. But unless something kicks the bucket, I have no room for more roses. Sigh!

George Burns and Tropical Sunset are really nice also.

So many roses, so little garden space left!

Kate

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

Beth, Your roses are gorgeous, as usual. Love the stripeys.I only have 3 stripeys but didnt take pictures of them this year. Deer kept them ate to pieces,so I didnt bother with them.I injoy yours.

Jean

• jktx55
    12 years ago

Thanks for showing your beautiful stripeys. I didn't know that there was so many different roses. Could you please tell me where I might find the SIMSALABIM rose?
    Thanks
    Jack

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    12 years ago

TNY78, those are some real beauties! I really like that CANDYCANE.

Jack, I'm afraid the only way you're going to be able to get SIMSALABIM is to try rooting a florist stem yourself. I got my plant from a person who wishes to remain unknown. He rooted florist stems and only had a few plants to offer. So far, no rose suppliers here in the US or Canada have ever carried plants.

• jktx55
    12 years ago

Thank you for your reply. I will research that possiblty.
    Jack

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County