Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_bustopher

Since there is a thread about arbors going, how about this?

Since there is a thread about arbors going, how about reopening an older topic of roses on umbrella trellises and on pillars? Some varieties might not do as well on vertical surfaces as they would on the more horizontal arbor surfaces. In the spirit of relieving the January blahs, could we get some pillar and umbrella trellis pictures posted so that we can see what varieties do well vertically?

Comments (13)

• kathy9norcal
    15 years ago

Here is Ballerina on a 7 foot tripod. Laced into it is a flower carpet I never had the heart to sp. While not a pillar, a tripod is really vertical.
    {{gwi:247569}}
    Other roses that do well on a tripod are Dublin Bay, Buff Beauty, and Altissimo (I suspect the canes on Altissimo are so thick they need almost no support.)
    Mini tripod roses I have are Autumn Splendor and Lavender Delight.
    Kathy

• pauline-vi-8
    15 years ago

Oh, I have to find room for tri-podding. I have several roses that would lend themselves. Ballerina too! Oh Kathy, I can immagine how much more spectacular in real life.:) Just saved the pictue in the hopes my husband will build me a few. Who knows, where I will put them. Thanks Kathy!
    Pauline

• katefisher
    15 years ago

Likewise here. We are talking about adding a wooden tripod this spring also. Kathy your photo was really great and it would be wonderful to see more growing on similar structures.

Thanks.

Kate

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

Me too Kathy! Thats gorgeous. This one store I shop at frequently sells lots of metal or iron ones like that but this year so far all they have are short ones. I would love to do several tall ones like yours. I really need to get me Ballerina. Everytime I see a picture of it I tell myself "girl you need that one". I wish I would listen. ha ha! Thanks, Judy

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    15 years ago

Here is a pic of a first year Climbing Eden on a pillar--taken back in May 2006. I really should get busy and take more recent pics, shouldn't I! I love my climbing Eden, but it is advisable to wrap the canes while they are younger and more flexible.

Gee--I see grass in the right-bottom corner--means I had not even finished digging that bed yet back in 2006. There is a Braveheart rose growing right about there now. I'd forgotten that bed is so recent in origin.

Kate

• geodave
    15 years ago

Here is what is left of Blue Magenta last summer after two hail storms. Minnesota weather year in and year out finds a way to ruin roses. I so want to get out of here and if I were young I would.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is what my Lavender Lassie looked like last spring. It is growing on a pyramid rather than a tripod.

• bossjim1
    15 years ago

Here's Climbing Pinkie after 1 year in the garden, on a home made umbrella.
    Jim

• jess2132000
    15 years ago

love that pinky rose
    looks like she grows really fast!! Does she rebloom well??

• kathy9norcal
    15 years ago

OK, some more. Unfortunately, the only photo of Dublin Bay (fence, red rose) has
    much of the yard, too. It is in the second year in this spot.

In a far left bed is mini Lavender Delight
    which will is always covered with blooms.

Here is the hugely growing mini Autumn Splendor prebloom in early spring.

And a sample bloom,

Lastly is Christopher Marlowe on a 4 foot bamboo pillar, in April

and in May

OMG, I can't wait til spring, warm weather, and roses!
    Kathy

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    15 years ago

They are all pretty, pretty, pretty!!! Thanks for sharing everyone. Now I gotta go find me some for my roses to grow on. Judy

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    15 years ago

Kathy, I just received Chris Marlow. Does it like to climb as it looks in your lovely photos or will it be a shrub? Your yard is fabulous! I can barely wait until spring!!
    Judith

PS: How do you keep the weeds out of your large bed?? I have a large one like that and I am already hoeing the blasted young tender weeds.....

• kathy9norcal
    15 years ago

Alameda, Chris could easily be a climber here (and what a wonderful one he'd be), and I just know my trellis isn't big enough. I haven't had the heart to hit up DH again to do a bigger support. The bamboo was difficult for him to deal with. It will take some sweet talking, I am sure.

Weeds? It looks good now but I have tons of warm-weather weeds. That awful onion stuff that has underground runners. I use a weeder tool on them in early spring and summer. Once the roses and daylilies grow up big, I can barely fit in there to weed and they start winning out. I am not compulsive enough to do it every day. I need to.
    Kathy