Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alex43_gw

Striped Rose

Alex43
10 years ago

I have what I believe is a very unusual striped rose bush in my yard that was planted about 18 months ago. It was bought a discount house (Home Depot) but was apparently mislabeled, as the label said it was a cream colored rose with red edges on the petals. The bush is now 4 feet high and has six to ten blossoms or buds at any one time. The blossoms vary between 3 and 4 inches in diameter. The blossoms are quite complex, having over 100 petals and a medium aroma I have done an online search and not found pictures of any similar rose. The coloring pattern is darker, deeper red and whiter white than a Ferdinand Pichard and there are far more petals. A picture of a blossom is attached.

Comments (10)

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Your rose looks a lot like my Scentimental (pic was taken in summer heat; its blooms have more petals in cooler weather):

This post was edited by pat_bamaZ7 on Wed, Jan 15, 14 at 13:07

• Alex43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pat;
    Thank you for your reply and helpful information,
    It may well be a ScentimentaI. looked at pictures of Scentimental on line and while my rose is similar it appeares to have more petals than the Scentimental I saw pictured. However I am no expert and it may well be a variety of Scentimental. Especially as my picture was taken a few days ago in January.
    Thank you again for your reply.
    Alex43

• Alex43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of a different blossom on the same bush also taken a few days ago in January.
    Alex43

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of mine from spring, but it was taken with a bad cell phone camera so coloring isn't very good in the photo. Looks like your rose still has more petals than mine does even in cooler weather, so maybe it isn't Scentimental. Hopefully, others will be able to chime in with more possibilities. I'm not great at identifying roses, but it might be helpful to others if you could post a full bush shot and some close up pictures of your rose's thorns and leaves.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Hi Alex,
    I see that no one else has responded yet. You might want to repost your pictures in the regular Rose Forum with the subject "need help identifying my striped rose". The general Rose Forum seems to get more visitors than the Gallery forum does.

• romanpot
    10 years ago

Another Scentimental rose. On my bush every flower is different (with different stripes). The flowers ball very badly in the rain.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Alex, can you give us more pictures of the plant? Leaves, thorns and plant structure can be helpful in IDing what type of rose it is which then might lead to a name. Does it bloom once a season or all season long? Are the blooms single on a cane or in clusters? I know you got it at HD but was it in a plastic bag or a pot? What was the name on the label? Did it list a grower? The more info you can give us the more likely we can ID it.

• kstrong
    10 years ago

It's probably Scentimental. Scentimental does do that "cupped" rose shape quite often, and the colors and petals look right, and I know that Home Depot sells that rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scentimental on HMF

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Alex has post more pictures over on the ID forum and from the look of those it's definitely a modern rose. So I have to agree that it's Scentimental too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose ID forum post

• Alex43
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I want to thank all who have responded and helped indentify this striped rose

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County