Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
the_dark_lady

Roses "I"

the_dark_lady
11 years ago

Not so many I's in my garden.

Ile Rouge (white streaks on leaves are not RMV - this rose has variegated foliage)
{{gwi:1197498}}

{{gwi:1197500}}

Imagine
{{gwi:1197501}}

Immortal Juno (HUGE! blooms)
{{gwi:1197502}}

Ina an Mona (sport of Austin's 'Leander')
{{gwi:1197503}}

Ines Sastre (aka Raspberry Cream Twirl). Absolutely stunning old-fashioned blooms in great profusion
{{gwi:1197505}}

Isabella Rossellini (now a goner)
{{gwi:1197506}}

Isabelle Renaissance (hard to capture it's deep velvety red)
{{gwi:1197509}}

Isarperle
{{gwi:1197511}}

Ivor's Rose. One of my favorites - gorgeous bush, extremely healthy without spraying. One bush on the bush shot, it is probably 7'-8' across. Less than favorable location, no supplemental water, no food.
{{gwi:1197513}}

{{gwi:1197515}}

Comments (27)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

I never would have guessed there were so many "I" roses--none in my garden, unfortunately.

"Immortal Juno"--what a name! worth getting that beauty just so I could go around proclaiming "immortal Juno"! Neighbors would know I had finally completely flipped. LOL

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    11 years ago

Beautiful roses as always Marina! Of course, my favorite would have to be INES SASTRE.

I actually have like 33 roses that begin with "I." Unfortunately, I only have a handful of them to post. (Still trying to re-tweak last yr's pics....)

Here's what I have right now:

IRISH CREAM
    {{gwi:345056}}

IRRESISTIBLE mini
    {{gwi:1197517}}

IMAGINATION
    {{gwi:1197519}}

IT'S SHOWTIME
    {{gwi:1197521}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

I am back after two days of down time when my computer's hard drive died, and genius son in law fixed it all. He's such a great guy.
    Oh those I's--I have not a one, but it was fun to see all the unknowns to me that you have posted, Marina. I love Immortal Juno which seems like a huge cuddly powder puff. And Ines Sastre is so unique and mysterious looking. Ivor's Rose is striking with the dark center and rich color. The bush shot was incredible. I think I need to move. Here in the desert, watering is one of my biggest chores. If I wanted a garden of sagebrush, I guess I could go without watering.
    Beth, that Irish Cream looks both elegant and yummy to me, like coffee ice cream. I must be getting hungry again. Be sure to show us your 33 I's when they are all tweaked.
    Thank you both for posting. Diane

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Beth and Diane.
    Beth, your Irish Cream is so beautiful, the color is unreal. I wish I could have a bouquet of Irish Cream. Yummm!
    Marina

• inga007
    11 years ago

So sorry, you lost Isabella Rossellini. She looks awesome
    Lovely photos, so many, never seen before.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Another great selection here. Too bad about Isabella R.! She was a beauty!

Iced Raspberry

Intrigue had rebounded somewhat with a move to more sun.

Iobelle

Irresistible

Isolde Hit
    {{gwi:1197531}}

Ivory Tower

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Aha--I just remembered the alternate name for my rose Memoire--it is ICE CREAM (thanks nana for mentioning ice cream above!).

So here is my one contribution to this thread:

Ice Cream (HT)--also known as Memoire. A good disease-resistant white--still new to my garden.
    {{gwi:310365}}

Never did get a really good pic of Ice Cream/Memoire, but here is another one.

And seil, I do like your Iobelle and Isolde Hit. Are they minis?

Irisistible is another nice one--also a mini?

Beth , I have no idea what I think of Irish Cream. Such an odd color. In real life in the garden, it is pretty, I take it? Hmmmm.

Kate

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Diane, thanks for pointing me to this thread. This is so fun, and I love to see these roses, many of them very new to me. Thank you for posting all of them, you all. Especially I love 'Ivor's Rose,' Marina.

I have only a couple I can add. One "I" Irish fireflame has not yet bloomed for me - maybe this year it will. But ... here is Indigo, not looking as purply as it sometimes is.

and IWO-47-19, a breeding rose by Kim Rupert that I grew from a cutting. I love its pink and white face with the yellow anthers.

Gean

• harborrose_pnw
    11 years ago

Just because the coloring bugs me, here is another shot of 'Indigo' more typical coloring in this picture.

• the_dark_lady
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wonderful roses, everybody!

Kate, what is that white flower on you photo of Ice Cream (Memoire)? So pretty.

Marina

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

marina, that is a white larkspur--they grow wild in my garden--mostly gorgeous purples, but a few pinks, whites, and lavenders mixed in there. They always make a good show for the first half of the summer.

Kate

• jktx55
    11 years ago

I must have Irish Cream.
    Thanks
    jk

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Kate, Iobelle is one of the few HTs that Griffith Buck released. But it does stay rather small and compact for an HT and is very hardy. Isolde Hit is a miniflora and Irresistible is a mini.

• TNY78
    11 years ago

LOVE them!!!! I think my favorite is that full bush shot of Marina's Ivors Rose!!!! Amazing!

I also really like Irish Cream, Iobelle......the list goes on!

Tammy

I don't have many "I"s...but here are the one's I have :)

Indigo
    {{gwi:1197543}}

Imparatrice Farah
    {{gwi:1197545}}

Ink Spots
    {{gwi:1197547}}

Ink Spots
    {{gwi:1197549}}

Ilse Khron Superior (love this rose!)
    {{gwi:1197551}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    11 years ago

Kate, Ice Cream looks yummy and is new to me (the rose, I mean).
    harborrose, I love the fluffy Indigo in "both" colors, especially the purple. Thanks for posting. Diane

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Tammy, I'm glad you joined us. I really like your Imparatrice Farah! And Inkspots looks like a good red--how is it on disease resistance?

And Gean, I can see why you like the more purple shade of your rose. It's gorgeous.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Fri, Jan 11, 13 at 5:42

• TNY78
    11 years ago

Imperitrice Farah is an interesting rose color wise. Its not the most disease resistant rose, but I'd still reccommend it if you can find it (mine was from Hortico)...the color is just like no other!

Kate, Ink Spots for me kind of falls in the middle. I've kind of been a bad plant parent to it, so I think most of its problems are my fault. First I had it potted as a container rose and it didn't seem happy, now its on the east side of my house in the ground, but has partial shade since my Hansa bushes have grown so fast. I may have to move it again in the spring to a sunnier location and see how it does. Mine is ownroot, and I think its been a slow grower because of it...so go grafted if you get it :)

Tammy

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    11 years ago

I had a real problem this year getting good pictures, but here are a couple. The first one is the FL Intrigue. It had a good dark color at the time I took this.

The only other usable picture for this group is a whole-bush shot of Iceberg.

I hope you enjoy these few.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

bustopher, what a pretty shot of whole-bush Iceberg. I know that rose is commonplace in some parts of the country, but I have never actually seen one--just a few pics of it close-up. I think your pic may be my first whole view--it is a nicely-shaped bush, isn't it!

Kate

• Cody_Plain
    11 years ago

This is really nice pictures of roses. i like all these collection. This is beautiful stuff you present here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Auction software

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Ooo, Tammy that Indigo is wonderful!

Bustopher, your Intrigue looks much healthier and bigger than my poor thing.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Rosa, 'Iceberg' in the upper rose garden

• Annie
    11 years ago

Rosa 'Iceberg'
    [with 'Ballerina' , center ]

They both do well here under a pine tree with filtered afternoon shade.

• Annie
    11 years ago

My favourite rose of all....Rosa, 'Ispahan'.

[OGR Rambler, originally from Iran]
    Strong Myrrh fragrance. Although spring blooming only, she blooms for several weeks and fills my garden with a heady fragrance that no other rose can match or best.

• Annie
    11 years ago

Another shot of 'Ispahan'.

The morning sun illuminated her blooms, and releasing her fragrance throughout the garden. I planted her here to grow over the main path so I could enjoy her as often as I liked. And I do "like" walking through this rose bower all day long.

The new canes have few if any thorns. Only the older canes are armed, and only sparingly. Removing older canes every other year rids the problem. After all, the blooms are produced on new wood, so both me and she benefit from the thinning process..

• Annie
    11 years ago

'Ispahan' in another location, where I keep her clipped as a very large shrub. - approx. 6 X 10 feet.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!