Houzz Logo Print
bethnorcal9

Roses "J"

bethnorcal9
10 years ago

Ok here's the next in the alphabet....

JOHANN STRAUSS
{{gwi:1197871}}

JUBILE DU PRINCE DE MONACO (aka CHERRY PARFAIT)

JULIA
{{gwi:1197873}}

JAM & JERUSALEM
{{gwi:1197875}}

JANET
{{gwi:234856}}

JARDINS DE BAGATELLE
{{gwi:1197877}}

JEAN DU TILLEUX

JH PIERNEEF
{{gwi:1197881}}

JORIANDA
{{gwi:348234}}

JADE
{{gwi:1197882}}

JESSIKA
{{gwi:341351}}

JULIE NEWMAR
{{gwi:1197883}}

JUST JOANNA
{{gwi:1197884}}

JAMES BIDDLE
{{gwi:341349}}

JOLLY ROGER

JANET CARNOCHAN

JUST DREAMY
{{gwi:1197314}}

Comments (40)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Beth--love James Biddle. And Just Dreamy is "dreamy"--lovely.

I think I only have one "J."

Jubilee Celebration (Austin)--not the best picture, but it does show the touch of yellow at the base that adds a kind of "glow" to the lovely blooms.
    {{gwi:234833}}

I also have a Jeri Jennings hybrid musk but no good picture. Does someone have a good photo of that rose?

Looking forward to more beauties here. : )

Kate

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, your plant is much bigger than my JUBILEE CELEBRATION! None of my photos were good enough to post. Glad you posted yours Kate!

• aviastar 7A Virginia
    10 years ago

oooh, I have a J rose!

Joseph's Coat:

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Beth, I think the J's are my favorites of yours so far! I especially love Janet, Johann Strauss, James Biddle and Just Dreamy.
    Kate, Your Jubilee Celebration is grand!
    AviaStar, Your Joseph's Coat looks beautiful! That's one I've always admired, but never grown.

Not many JâÂÂs for me and all are very common, but here they are:

Partial bush shot of Julia Child

Partial bush shot of JFK

And JFK up close:

Just Joey being very bold

Just Joey in a softer mood

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Pat--I wasn't aware that Just Joey would range from "hot" to soft peach. Interesting blooming pattern. Julia, as usual, is looking golden and healthy!

Kate

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Beth - Love your roses. I agree with Kate and Pat on the James Biddle and Just Dreamy, love them all. Kate - Love the color of your Jubilee Celebration. I am getting really excited about Austins. AviaStar - Very nice Joseph's Coat bloom. Pat - Your JFK looks like a good bloomer, am anxious to see what mine does this year. I always love your roses. My only J rose is -

JFK

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

John Cabot languishing in a shady corner.

• Brittie - La Porte, TX 9a
    10 years ago

Julie Newmar is one that I have been wanting. I keep putting it on, and then taking it off of my wish list. I just ordered James Biddle from Hortico. Hope what I get ends up correct, and also that it is half as pretty as the one Beth has.

I LOVE Jubilee Celebration. Mine is still small, and taking its sweet time building ANY size, but I just adore those flowers! Kate, your plant looks wonderful!

I just love the colors of Josephs Coat. Thats one that Ive considered buying a few times. It's always so pretty to see a rose with flowers that can be multiple colors on the same plant.

Just Joey is one that Ive tried twice, and it died both times! Arg. Pat, yours is just beautiful. What kind of voodoo are you doing to make it so? Hmph.

JFK is a really pretty white. I wonder how it is disease wise?

John Cabot looks great! It isnt one that I am as familiar with though. Is it a cold climate rose?

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

My, Beth, I love the ruffles, frills, and delicate color of Johann Strauss (it's too pretty for that name, though). Jardins de Bagatelle is another rose with a sweet look and subtle color I like. Jorianda's rich color and full petaled bloom is gorgeous. It's new to me, too. I love the "stuffed with petals" look of James Biddle (another one of those names that just doesn't fit; why do they do this?). Just Dreamy does indeed fit her name, and Janet Carnochon is pretty dreamy, too--a very sophisticated look she has.
    Kate, those Jubilee Celebration blooms look huge, and the wonderful, deep colored centers are stunning. I'm checking this one out.
    Aviastar, what a neat photo of Joseph's Coat. The color blend is perfect.
    Pat, Julia is right at the top of my list. I think she's a beautiful rose with some amazing attributes. I just wish more roses bloomed the way she does. Your photo is beautiful with Julia who always looks great with purple flowers. And Just Joey is just one big gorgeous boy.
    Sara-Ann your JFK looks like white velvet with those soft petals, inviting a touch.
    Shillanorth, John Cabot seems perfectly fine to me. He just needs to rise above his perennial competitors.
    I really am enjoying the J group with some very unusual roses. Got to check out ol' James Biddle who is prettier than his name. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I have a couple of J roses to share. First a few canes of Jude the Obscure. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Now a close up of Jude. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here is shot of my two Julia Child roses across the front sidewalk from each other. Below them are two Bernstein-Rose plants. A ways over is Ballerina. And down in front is a baby Colette who is now at the top of the arbor (in one season). A small, baby Young Lycidas has just had a traumatic transplant, but is still trying to bloom. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Here's a close up of Julia, in case there is a person out there who hasn't seen her-ha. Diane

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Jean Keneally from Rushton gardens

My Just Joey - taken just last week, so its showing its paler summer colour...

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Shillanorth - John Cabot is a pretty rose. Diane - Jude the Obscure looks so lovely on the bush and is a beautiful rose, I really like the color. Your Julia Child bushes are amazing, even though I have seen them before, I can't get over how many blooms they have! Love seeing them, they are gorgeous. Curdle the Jean Keneally is very elegant looking and your Just Joey is lovely.

• view1ny NY 6-7
    10 years ago

nanadoll, your Jude is gorgeous. How tall does it get?

The color in the photo looks like a pale apricot while I always thought Jude was a pale yellow. Does the color vary depending on the weather? In any case, what a beauty!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

Nana--as I've noted before, Jude and Julia are just wonderful. I'm particularly fond of those fat round fully-packed blooms of Jude.

Kate

• lesmc
    10 years ago

O .K. Diane....that is one gorgeous Julia! In fact, it left me speechless!!! You might find this hard to believe, but I have tried this rose 2 times with no luck. They just sit there No blooms, no growth. I don`t know what is wrong. I have ordered one more from Palatine and plan to try it one more time. Your picture is amazing. I will keep my fingers crossed for my last try! Lesley

• inga007
    10 years ago

Wow! Wow! and WOW!
    All the blooms are just lovely.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Hi all,
    You guys are real sweethearts with your nice comments that helped me make it through another January day. The weather has slightly improved (smog is gone), but everything looks so...brown. Anyway, thanks again, and to answer a few questions--Jude is more apricot in June and September when it's not quite so hot, and is more of a cream color, I think, when it is hotter. But blooms can be both colors during the same time period, too. Confused? He grows to about 10 feet tall, but he's getting a severe trim before too long. I thought I pruned hard last year, but I guess not. Also, when it's hot Jude's blooms don't have as many petals, and he does not bloom continuously like Julia. Lesley, maybe you should try a Julia grafted on Dr Huey, rather than multiflora. Who knows-it might make a difference. I've ordered from Palatine quite a bit and had mixed results with their roses.
    Curdle, you photos of Jean Keneally and Just Joey are works of art. I especially love JJ's portrait--exquisite.
    Diane

• shillanorth Z4 AB
    10 years ago

Brittie - John Cabot is from the Canadian Explorer series developed for disease resistance and cold hardiness.

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Hooray - I can post one! Yes, it's Julia and yes, everyone has seen her, but she was my "gateway" rose and I particularly love her.

{{gwi:225295}}

Beth - Johann Strauss is absolutely GORGEOUS! Love the subtle yellows mixed with the pale pink! And Just Dreamy is, well, just dreamy!
    Diane - that closeup of Jude the Obscure always leaves me drooling. It's a major reason I've got him on my wishlist.
    Curdle - I go back and forth on Just Joey. That photo is stunning though. Would you say the colour is representative?

Karen

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Lots of beauties here! I only wish my JFK had ever looked so good!

Jilly Jewel
    {{gwi:330044}}

Julia Child
    {{gwi:350909}}

Julie Link

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oooh Seil, love that JILLY JEWEL!

• sara_ann-z6bok
    10 years ago

Redwolfdoc - Really pretty Julia Child bloom! Seil - Jilly Jewel is adorable, what a lovely rose.

• pearlgirl
    10 years ago

Nanadoll...your roses are overwhelmingly beautiful! I've
    meant to order Julia and Jude and your pics are assuring
    me that I need to get my order in. I could never imagine
    that they had so many blooms. Can't wait to order. Thanks
    for sharing your pics.
    Margaret

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Beth ~ does JANET have a special quality or is it just another gorgeous Austin pink?

Wow Seil ~ that cluster of JULIA CHILD is something to behold. JILLY JEWEL (florist mini) was too pretty not to look up.

I'm jealous of all the soft pictures of JUST JOEY. How come mine never looks that way? Never mind, he's a gorgeous salmon fish color here. Made BRANDY look garish (gone due to rose mosaic disease).

JUDE lust is taking hold again. Where oh where can he go?
    Australia must have some special light. JEAN KENEALLY's a vision.

• Curdle 10a (Australia)
    10 years ago

Seil, that Jilly Jewel is very cute..I must add it to the spreadsheet..
    and Julia Child is lovely as usual:) She always looks like such a cheerful rose - I've only had mine since early spring, but she has been pretty much covered with flowers since! Currently recovering from 5 days of 40 C plus heat, during which she got badly fried, (my low sun spot wasn't low sun enough) but two weeks later, covered in new growth and buds, one of which is already about to open.

Karen - Just Joey is a fair bit newer, so I cant give a typical colour range for my plant- but I bought it after admiring the Just Joey in the garden at work all last year. My pic seems typical for summer colour; its a deeper colour in spring- a darker burnt apricot at the base of the petals, lightening up to the summer shade on the tips of the petals. It really glows.. They had it planted right next to a bank of dwarf lavender and it looked absolutely gorgeous. I brought my camera in to work the next day to take a pic, but someone else must have been admiring it too, and helped themselves to all the flowers! grrr
    I saw a row of them outside a grungy old warehouse selling carpet remnants; they appeared to be the only thing growing there and judging by the old gnarly chopped around canes, got brutally pruned every year. They were covered in blooms and looked wonderful...

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Irisgal, JANET is quite a lovely rose, but she grows all gangly and like a climber, and her blooms tend to hang downward due to the weight. Repeat bloom is pretty decent. She looks best in the early stages where the blooms have high centers like HTs. I like her.

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! That Jilly Jewel was an accidental find at the one local nursery that carries any minis at all. They're usually the same ones every year so when I spotted something different I just grabbed it! It's turned out to be a really good healthy bloomer.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

I see a few more of you have posted new J photos, and they look great.
    Redwolfdoc, of course I love your photo--it's Julia and a lovely likeness, too.
    Seil, your photo of the perfect Jilly Jewel is as good as it gets. I just read you last post which said JJ was a mini--I would never have guessed. I love all those Julias overflowing with color. She makes me happy just looking at her.
    Diane

• Kippy
    10 years ago

Janet on January 25th. She is loving this winter and weather and covered in buds. My grafted one took a couple of years to take off and is not that big.

{{gwi:226061}}

August
    Jubilee Celebration
    {{gwi:304836}}

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Kippy, you have some luscious roses there. What a striking pic of Jubilee Celebration. I love her unusual coloring. Diane

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Thanks Beth. I remember the first pictures of her being posted here and everyone wondering if her stems would get stronger with age (and hold the blooms up). Looks like she's a natural 'nodder',

Thanks Kippy for additional pics of her. Don't see enuf of her.

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Beautiful pics Kippy! Those are positively yummy! Look at that JUBILEE CELEBRATION. Mmmm mmmm mmm... Just gorgeous!

• neptune44
    10 years ago

My only 'J' rose: Jalitah

• bethnorcal9
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG Neptune! I'm excited to see your JALITAH! I got one from Heirloom last yr after the little baby one I had gotten from Cliff, before he closed up EuroDesert Roses, died on me. Your photos are better than the ones on HMF! Thanks for showing it! I can't wait for mine to get growing and blooming.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Jalitah is just exquisite with its subtle soft shading, Neptune. I checked it out a while back, but I need to "look it up" again, it's so beautiful. Diane

• Lynn-in-TX-Z8b- Austin Area/Hill Country
    10 years ago

This is very likely a repeat, but Joseph's Coat today.

Lynn

• iris_gal
    10 years ago

Wow. Never heard of 'Jalitah'. Exquisite coloring.

Love that bloom of 'Joseph's Coat'. I drive a certain route to see it on a white trellis arch in front of an old house.