Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesmc

Garden Art

lesmc
10 years ago

Let`s share some garden art pictures. It is 45 degrees here today and I plan to check out my garden. Maybe make some notes on plans for spring. I would love to see your art, garden structures, sitting venues...whatever you might like to share. Lesley

Comments (23)

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My garden surround of wine bottles...all of which I personally consumed! I call it the bed of wine and roses! Lesley

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A favorite birdhouse ... a gift from my sister in S.C. ! It always has birds!! Lesley

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My gazebo...the starting place of my garden. Everything was planted around this peaceful resting place. I just love to rock the swing, listen to the birds and smell my roses! Lesley

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This sun glass stake was also a gift from my sister..it is a real favorite of mine. I have made stained glass but after a nasty cut...I gave it up! lesley

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Every garden must have gazing balls! I have several..but I especially love blue ones. I feel they set off the colors in the flowers so well. Lesley

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last picture for now...I must let someone else share! This is a favorite resting place. Although, resting is seldom done!! Maybe I should say 'my evaluation station"! Thanks for looking. Lesley

• surya55_gw
    10 years ago

Leslie- you have the garden of MY dreams! I've always believed in mixing all colors up- it makes for an interesting look and makes every flower show off nicely against each other. Lots of color-popping this way.The garden art is exquisite. Thanks so much for posting. I've enjoyed it all.

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Lesley,
    I'm really enjoying all the glimpses of your garden and love your art throughout!

The birdhouse my husband made for me is a favorite of mine:

And I love my bottle tree, but IâÂÂm only finding a pic showing the top of it:

My very favorite is just a big rock with a story behind it that I will spare you. It is special because of the way it came to me, so I donâÂÂt plant anything around it that might block it from view. I do decorate it for each season. HereâÂÂs a picture of it with a headless horseman I made to sit on top for Halloween. For Christmas, Santa sits on it with lighted reindeer in front, and so on...

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Great rock,Pat. Love the idea of decorating it for holidays.And the birdhouse is great. I welcome the birds into my garden..they often leave me flower surprises!Could you name the red rose in your bottle tree picture. It`s beautiful. I would like a bottle tree with blue bottles.Love blue in the garden.Thank you surya, for your kind words. Feel free to post your garden. Everyones pictures are such fun during these cold days. Lesley

• pat_bamaz7
    10 years ago

Lesley, Such beautiful lilies in all your photos. I really must add more lilies to my garden! ThatâÂÂs VeteranâÂÂs Honor in my bottle tree picture. Here, it is a rather tall and narrow bush with the most beautiful and very long lasting red roses that never âÂÂblueâ as they ageâ¦not much fragrance and very bad to blackspot in my garden, though.

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I don't have a lot of garden decorations, but I do try to get some stonelike things in the garden as a contrast to the green growing things. Unfortuntately, none of these are particularly good pics. : (

My welcoming gardening dwarf at the entrance of my garden:

Fairy statue next to "The Fairy". (I have a couple more little fairies and a small dwarf, but no pics of them.)

Another gardening fairy inspecting the purple pansies:

Stone bench--on which I do rest and contemplate my flowers. I also have a park bench on the other side of the garden--but no pic.

This picture is several years old--the Home Run hedge is much bigger and fuller now--but I still use that left-over birdbath as a plant holder.
    {{gwi:300146}}

Here's my solar-operating fountain.

Buff Beauty with a gargoyle guard dog at its feet--except someone stole the gargoyle last summer! Now there is a cute turtle at its feet (no pic). So far no one has stolen the guard turtle.
    {{gwi:207539}}

Petunia in painted concrete planter--I stick a few annuals in these small planters and scatter them around the gardens--just for some variety of textures.

Sandstone rock to right of Memoire--I have several of those scattered around the gardens.

Now if you want to go next door--my neighbor has tons of arts and crafts garden decorations in her gardens. I think she sometimes looks down on me for spending more time on growing plants and less on garden decorations. : )

Kate

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

What a great post! Thanks Lesley!

It's funny, but I don't have a lot of pictures of my garden art. I'll have to rectify that this year!

Lesley, love the 'wine and roses' bed. Kate, those fairies are beautiful! They look perfect among the roses. Pat, I love the rock... Especially because it has a history.

Until I had a house, I really had no idea that I was so domestic, and one of the bigger surprises is that I love garden statuary!

Got the zebra at a warehouse sale. It spent its first year in my little girl's nursery. Now the kids pretend to ride it.
    {{gwi:1198068}}

Sorry for the blurry picture and the mostly-empty hosta bed... for some reason, this is the only shot I have of the giraffe! It was a gift for my 40th last summer.
    {{gwi:1198069}}

Damselfly
    {{gwi:1198070}}

There's also a little ceramic mushroom bed with a few tiny gnomes among the stalks. Can't seem to find a picture. Nor can I find a picture of the lovely bright yellow ceramic birdbath my hubby gave me a few years ago. It has abstract red roses embedded in the design. As it happens, it's a terrible birdbath - unappealing to the birds while the yellow attracts wasps like there's no tomorrow! This year I'm going to get DH to mount it on the shed as pure decoration.

Oh, and the kids like to grab tree branches when available and follow me around, pretending to be garden statues whenever I turn around... :)
    {{gwi:1198071}}
    {{gwi:1198073}}

Karen

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

I love garden art! I have several pieces but for some reason rarely photograph them. This is my fairy sprinkler though.

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karen...What adorable garden helpers you have!! I really love to see children enjoying the garden. I never gave a thought to the color yellow attracting wasps! I must remember that.Your zebra looks quite at home in your host bed. Thanks for sharing. Seil, love the fairy sprinkler.That is a lovely lilly growing there,also. Lesley

• redwolfdoc_z5
    10 years ago

Lesley, aeons ago I went to Vietnam to do some field research as part of my degree. One of the other students on the trip was cataloging wasps and bees. We spent a whole day setting out bright yellow plastic bowls filled with sugar water all around her study area as wasp traps. Three days later we went back out to the site to gather the catch -- and couldn't find a single yellow saucer! It was quite a mystery, until we visited the local village and saw all the children running around wearing plastic yellow "hats"! Adorable, but not really very helpful! Much like my own kids in the garden.... :)

Everyone's garden art is so cheerful. Really fun to see on a cold, snowy winter day like today. I love the fairies! And Lesley, I have no gazing balls but they always stop me in my tracks when I see them in other people's yards. How could they not - they're so colourful and shiny! I wonder why I don't have any?

Karen

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karen..thanks for the story. Children are so creative and free. who can blame them. Hope you will consider adding a gazing ball to your garden. They are fun to "gaze" in to!This is one from a daylily bed. Not my favorite color, but I love the big size. Lesley

• jo_pyeweed (z9 SF Bay Area)
    10 years ago

Great post, Lesley. I am enjoying seeing everyone's garden art and wishing I could visit in person.

Here's our garden gargoyle with Geranium pyrenaicum 'Bill Wallis' and an un-named cymbidium. It's been very windy lately so apologies for the blurry pic.

Jo

Edited to correct the spelling: pyrenaicum not pyrenacium

This post was edited by jo_pyeweed on Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 16:16

10 years ago

And a peacock...

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Thank you all for sharing a glimpse of the art that resides in your gardens. I sometimes think these little vignettes are a garden's most charming part, while at the same time, revealing a little bit about the gardener, too. I the the angel, birdhouses, fairies, and gazing balls, but best of all are the flowers that surround these objects. And yes, Lesley, you do have a dream garden. Thank you for being so generous in sharing these photos of it and starting this thread. And Pat, that Headless Horseman had me laughing my own head off. What a great use for a favorite object.
    Kate, your fairies are perfect among the little spots of colorful flowers. Karen, what a wonderful backyard zoo, cute kids included. Seil, those lovely pink lilies, so sweet, are perfect next to the fairy. Finally, Jo, I have a soft spot for gargoyles--does he have a name? The cymbidium are a dramatic sight to see. Are they difficult to grow? Just beautiful.
    Thanks again, everyone. Diane

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, thanks for joining in and sharing your garden. I love the "Bill Wallis". I think the geraniums add so much and blue is my favorite color to compliment the roses. I will look for it. I am ga=ga over your orchid. This has been my winter project to learn to grow them. I am not doing so good!!! A challenge here. Diane,your words are so true.The art adds so much charm to our gardens ,Today, everything is covered in ice. This is one wild winter! Lesley

10 years ago

Diane, Lesley - so glad you enjoyed the yellow cymbidium. It makes a bright, cheery spot in my garden right now.

Diane - Cymbidiums are easy-peasy here because the climactic conditions suit them very well. Foggy springs, cool (and often foggy) summers and mild winters. They are even more outstanding up in San Francisco. Unfortunately, I have heard that they can be a challenge to grow in other places.

This yellow is the only hybrid I have; the others are species and the colors are a very pale pink and white-green. They flower in March/April but it looks like the warm January we have had may cause them to bloom earlier this year.

The gargoyle's name is "Gog" - I was too embarrassed to mention this earlier :-)

Lesley - The Phalanopsis are really easy - if you can give them bright light (early morning sun is great), as high in humidity as you can go and lower day time temperatures in winter than what they received in summer, you should see them bloom quite well. Key is the medium you grow them in. You may need to experiment to determine what works best - bark or moss or a combination of the two. You will have fun - orchids can be addicting so watch out !! :-)

Bill Wallis is a real trooper but I do have to note that he is a prolific reseeder so keep an eye out if you do get him.

Jo

Close-up of yellow cymbidium

• lesmc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jo, for your reply. That cymbidium is breath-taking. I also appreciate the warning on re-seeding. I love this forum....everyone is so darn nice. Lesley

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    10 years ago

Yes, thanks for the info on the gorgeous cymbidium. The close up is beautiful. Our hot, dry weather wouldn't work for this plant--phoo. I knew your gargoyle had to have a name. I just love them. Diane

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer